Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S3xy Button install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been reading on these buttons for a while and finally did the install, I can’t believe no one ever mentioned unless mines broken that what even you assign to the button is not reported on the car or Tesla app. For instance if the button is assigned to fan up, when you press the button the fan goes up but on the screen the fan will still report the same speed even though it’s increasing with button. Same with heated seats in back you push the button and the seat gets hot but on the screen it reports off.
Kind of disappointing unless mines not working 😀

• Informative
Reactions: jmaddr
Did you read through this thread in the User Interface forum?
S3XY buttons at Abstract Ocean

Most of the S3XY button functions do not reflect on the screen. I knew this before buying them, probably through reading the above thread. I'm not sure if this was actually explained anywhere, but I think the reason this is the case is because normally you hit a button on the screen it changes the state on the screen and at the same time sends a signal to the car to execute the function. When the same signal is sent via the S3XY buttons, it goes to the car but does not go to the screen, so the state of the screen isn't changed. It certainly would be nice if the screen state is changed when the S3XY button is pressed, but I haven't found it to be a big deal, and some of the S3XY button executed functions are displayed on the phone app.

For those rear seat heaters, at least the buttons blink corresponding to the strength of the heat, so there's that.

Reactions: CapsEngineer
Be aware that if you use pin to open glovebox that the S3XY button to open the glove box will bypass the pin requirement. I don't use the pin so not an issue for me, but if you do use the pin and want the glovebox secure either don't assign a glovebox button, or put the glovebox button in a hidden location.

Keith

We have a very complete thread for the S3XY Buttons where the developer often posts in. You might want to post your experiences and any questions in that thread...

We have a very complete thread for the S3XY Buttons where the developer often posts in. You might want to post your experiences and any questions in that thread...

Thanks for that. I have a Model 3 so never see the Y stuff unless I use search or Post Thread feature.

Reactions: Bikeman