Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S3XY buttons at Abstract Ocean

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not worried myself, and I never want to void a warranty. Seems like it would use way less power than an ipad plugged in. And from the video, Tesla can’t see it physically if you uninstall it.
I believe this directly interfaces with the vehicle CanBus... Tesla can definitely see you using it in their logs because it injects commands. This is different from 3rd party dash displays (CanDash) that only observe the CanBus data. Will they deny warranty? Doubt it but Tesla can see you using such devices.

I believe this directly interfaces with the vehicle CanBus... Tesla can definitely see you using it in their logs because it injects commands. This is different from 3rd party dash displays (CanDash) that only observe the CanBus data. Will they deny warranty? Doubt it but Tesla can see you using such devices.
I am not sure they can. How can they differentiate if the command is comming from the MCU directly? Maybe they can somehow do it, like log a touch press and send that along with the command in some kind of log and then check if the command is added in the log with a touch, if they want to, with some FW update. And I can see Tesla not liking such stuff inside their cars (as they do with many things, they are basically the Apple of automotive), but I don't think controling the horn from a button instead of the steering wheel is such a problem.

I am having an issue where the buttons just stop working for no apparent reason. The first time I experienced this was the day I installed them, they worked fine in my garage but then when I went for a drive they stopped working. That night the car did a software update (causing a system reset) and the buttons started working... now they stopped working again for no apparent reason... I will do a system reset and see if that helps.

Keith
I just have registered, because I am experiencing exactly the same problem. After having entered the car, the buttons just work fine. But after some time, the buttons stop working. When looking on the commander then, either the blue bluetooth light on the right is not active, or the red "car" light in the middle is not active. When opening the S3xy Buttons app then, it reports being "disconnected" and cannot be reconnected by pressing the circular arrows symbol. When I leave the car, lock it and reenter the car after a while, usually the buttons work again.

I have already dropped Enhance a message almost one week ago by using the "contact us" feature on their website, but unfortunately they haven't replied yet.

I would love to hear, if there is a way to make the buttons work permanently. Thank you for any advice.

Oliver

Model 3, May 2021
Tesla software version 2022.12.3.2
Commander software version 2.5.2

I just have registered, because I am experiencing exactly the same problem. After having entered the car, the buttons just work fine. But after some time, the buttons stop working. When looking on the commander then, either the blue bluetooth light on the right is not active, or the red "car" light in the middle is not active. When opening the S3xy Buttons app then, it reports being "disconnected" and cannot be reconnected by pressing the circular arrows symbol. When I leave the car, lock it and reenter the car after a while, usually the buttons work again.

I have already dropped Enhance a message almost one week ago by using the "contact us" feature on their website, but unfortunately they haven't replied yet.

I would love to hear, if there is a way to make the buttons work permanently. Thank you for any advice.

Oliver

Model 3, May 2021
I have contacted Enhance Automotive via email ([email protected]) today and have received already an answer. They told me, that there might be problems with the "Safe Bluetooth connect" feature in v2.5.2 which could cause similar behavior that I have described (in combination with having Sentry mode enabled). They advised me to try the latest version 2.6.0, which has been released today. I'll try that and hope, that this will solve the problem.

Oliver

Model 3, May 2021

At this point, when I get in the car I check the "open glove box" button... if it works I drive like normal, if it doesn't work I unplug the commander unit, wait 5 seconds, plug it back in and then everything works for the remainder of the drive. I REALLY want a reset button on the commander so I don't have to unplug it and plug it back in... but even that would not make the "half press on door handle to open frunk" work...

Keith

I've just finished testing 2.6.0 beta AP Hands-On feature. I didn't test it from the 'hands off' perspective, but from an AP activation viewpoint, including for lane changes.

It now works flawlessly, in that it will activate AP in all scenarios where it's available, including when TACC is engaged. This means a lane change with AP active becomes much easier.

For example, without the AP button, you need to indicate, then change lane, which deactivates AP and drops to TACC, then double tap the stalk. Quite a clunky multi-hand experience - first world issues I know.

With the AP button secured just behind the mid-steering wheel section (left-side for me), it's a gentle finger tap of the button to resume AP after the lane change. It's so much easier, especially in heavy traffic when constantly changing lanes.

In the UK, I'd go as far to say I prefer this to EAP auto lane change, which takes a couple of seconds to start moving, often resulting in an aborted attempt due to the lane space being occupied, by the time it's ready.

This feature alone makes it worth the £200 for me. I understand they are working on an automatic AP resume after a lane change which would be even better!

With the AP button secured just behind the mid-steering wheel section (left-side for me), it's a gentle finger tap of the button to resume AP after the lane change. It's so much easier, especially in heavy traffic when constantly changing lanes.
I don't get it, you still have to press the button?! Where is the advantage, I thought it will auto-engage after you have overtaken, at least this was what was advertised before on this forum?

I don't see any advantage unless it auto engages after I end up between the lines after the lane change. Wether I press the button or double tap the stick, is there any real advantage?

Maybe you can shoot a short video how you handle it?

Reactions: Jones1
It's way easier. The hand never leaves the wheel, so you simply press the button with the same hand you use to indicate. The alternative is to remove your right hand from the wheel, double tap the stalk, and then put it back, every-time you change lane. Factor that hundreds of times on a long motorway journey. Before this button I wouldn't bother re-engaging AP until back in the first lane, now I do it before the lane change is even complete without even thinking about it.

Agreed, auto resume of AP would be even better, as long as it does it just before the lane change is complete. Until that's ready this is a definite improvement.

Not doing a video.

Reactions: gx9901 and KennethS
It's way easier. The hand never leaves the wheel, so you simply press the button with the same hand you use to indicate. The alternative is to remove your right hand from the wheel, double tap the stalk, and then put it back, every-time you change lane. Factor that hundreds of times on a long motorway journey. Before this button I wouldn't bother re-engaging AP until back in the first lane, now I do it before the lane change is even complete without even thinking about it.

Agreed, auto resume of AP would be even better, as long as it does it just before the lane change is complete. Until that's ready this is a definite improvement.

Not doing a video.
That sounds very useful and you have done a great job describing it. Thanks!

Reactions: eaglesrest
@dimitar.ns
I was also wondering about the autopilot hands-on feature.

According to the description for this feature:
"Depending on your country's regulation, if you mount the button the steering wheel this action will be considered hands on the wheel trigger and dismiss the nag"

This doesn't seem to work in Germany. As far as I see the button when pressed just "reconfirms" the set speed (it doesn't go up or down, maybe software bug?), but that doesn't change the nag. I think also moving the speed up and down doesn't clear the nag either, but have to test it.

So my question is - where exactly on the steering wheel should the button be mounted and how will that trigger the "hands on the wheel"? Is it using the weight of the button and what position does it need to be installed on for the weight to be significant and clear the nag? Or do I have to press it every other 10 seconds to clear the nag?

I have it on the horn at the moment and it doesn't do anything, the car still nags me. Even if I press it.

Maybe you can clarify how this feature works?
I don't think it's the physical presence of the button that removes the nag. It's the press of the button that triggers a cruise speed up/down, which is another method to indicate 'hands on' and an alternative to the torque sensor/wheel wiggle.

I think the recommendation that the button is on the wheel is more a legislative requirement, so as to show that you are keeping your hand on the wheel in some form at least. Technically, you 'could' have the button anywhere, press it, and disable the nag e.g. next to the door handle where your hand might rest. You would still need to keep pressing it every now and again, but technically you would be 'hands off' and potentially unsafe of course.

If it doesn't defeat the nag on each press, then that's another matter.

Reactions: dimitar.ns

Not doing a video.
Thanks for the description of your AP setup with the S3XY button. I also wondered how is using the button is an advantage over just double tapping the stalk, but I just tried it with AP assigned to a button I have behind the left spoke of the steering wheel, and I like it a lot! Works as you've described.

I've been pleased with the frequent updates for these buttons since I got them a few months ago. I had two of the buttons situated behind the left and right spoke of the steering wheel and I had them setup as Regen -25% on the left and Regen +25% on the right. I was wishing for functionality to loop back on these Regen settings so I can just use one button and lo and behold, it was added on the latest firmware. So now I just have Regen +25% Looped on the right and the aforementioned AP on the left. Excellent!

When I bought these buttons I thought they were cool to have but maybe I won't actually use them too much, but they are getting more and more useful and I'm really glad I got a set.

I am not sure they can. How can they differentiate if the command is comming from the MCU directly? Maybe they can somehow do it, like log a touch press and send that along with the command in some kind of log and then check if the command is added in the log with a touch, if they want to, with some FW update. And I can see Tesla not liking such stuff inside their cars (as they do with many things, they are basically the Apple of automotive), but I don't think controling the horn from a button instead of the steering wheel is such a problem.
I'm no CANbus expert, but I'm pretty sure a low-level log trace would indeed allow them to determine the source of the command.

It's way easier. The hand never leaves the wheel, so you simply press the button with the same hand you use to indicate. The alternative is to remove your right hand from the wheel, double tap the stalk, and then put it back, every-time you change lane.
You are doing something wrong then. Your hand doesn't need to leave the wheel at any times to activate AP - just put your right hand over the 3pm position and hold the wheel and then just extend your middle finger over the stalk and double tap it.
Screenshot 2022-05-17 at 23.02.07.png

nd right spoke of the steering wheel and I had them setup as Regen -25% on the left and Regen +25% on the right. I was wishing for functionality to loop back on these Regen settings so I can just use one button and lo and behold, it was added on the latest firmware.

I always wondered why this option was added and who would use it. Regen -25/+25 is how I use it. If you are going to toggle with 1 button all the way up and then down, you have to always have the phone app runing infront of you as there is lag and you can never know what setting you are on. I would find it cumbersome and slow.

I like the -25% left and +25% way better, but I always keep it at 50%-75% anyways.

Last edited:
You are doing something wrong then. Your hand doesn't need to leave the wheel at any times to activate AP - just put your right hand over the 3pm position and hold the wheel and then just extend your middle finger over the stalk and double tap it.View attachment 805530
I'm not doing anything wrong. I know how to activate AP. When I say remove your hand I mean the fingers have to reach over, which you dont have to do with the button.

Why don't you just try it with the button behind the wheel at the 3pm position, left-side and see the difference.

If you want to use 2 hands reach over and tap the stalk twice versus a one handed indicate and AP resume, then go for it. I like it, I recommend it. End of.

You are doing something wrong then. Your hand doesn't need to leave the wheel at any times to activate AP - just put your right hand over the 3pm position and hold the wheel and then just extend your middle finger over the stalk and double tap it.View attachment 805530

I always wondered why this option was added and who would use it. Regen -25/+25 is how I use it. If you are going to toggle with 1 button all the way up and then down, you have to always have the phone app runing infront of you as there is lag and you can never know what setting you are on. I would find it cumbersome and slow.

I like the -25% left and +25% way better, but I always keep it at 50%-75% anyways.
I know what you're getting at regarding just using the standard way to activate AP. Why waste a button on something you can just easily double tap with your right hand? Well, I tried doing the AP lane change as described by @eaglesrest with the button behind my left wheel spoke and I was like "this is friggn' awesome!". Maybe if you try it you would still think it's not enough to justify wasting a button on it, but for me I love AP lane change and re-engaging AP all using just my left hand. This is even with my right hand on the steering wheel as well. I just find it to be a smoother way to execute an AP lane change.

As for the Regen adjustment, I decided to use the +25% loop because the first press turns regen off completely. I was actually debating between using the two buttons as on/off instead of toggle up/down, so having it turn off on the first press is actually what I would probably want. I also would not use regen adjustment without having the phone app open anyway, so not an issue of not knowing how strong my regen is. Finally, I would probably never use regen adjustment except for maybe in some winter conditions where I feel like I need to be able to coast, so I think this setup should work well for me.

If you want to use 2 hands reach over and tap the stalk twice versus a one handed indicate and AP resume, then go for it.
I don't use 2 hands. I have only one hand on the 3 position as in the picture and my middle finger is resting on the stick (other hand is resting on the door handle) . Not sure, but I think you still are doing something different than me...Or your fingers are shorter.

Maybe if you try it you would still think it's not enough to justify wasting a button on
I have it as a button on the horn that doubles as a horn (at the moment I manually switch when I get on the highway and back in the city, hopefully a long tap will mitigate that need) and I tap it with my thumb.

Behind the wheel I have 2 buttons on each side for regen as in the Korean cars, I find those more useful especialy in the snow where you have to quickly change the regen depending on terrain.

I don't really see any benefit to me of an AP button, even though I have it - I sometimes find it easier to just rest my finger on the stick as I do anyways, then to move the thumb. But to each their own.

I would like the idea of auto engage after overtaking - and if possible without the ding dong sound.

Last edited:
I have the Buttons in my possession. Wait for pickup of my MYP on Saturday. What other functions are the buttons good for. I do like opening glove box. I think that will be a benefit. Or increasing the speed of the AC. I saw one person adjust the camera angles with a press of the buttons. For when they are backing or close by a curb. I like how you can turn on interior lights using the buttons. What other functions are any of you using them for? Obviously that is not AP. Thanks.

Thanks for the description of your AP setup with the S3XY button. I also wondered how is using the button is an advantage over just double tapping the stalk, but I just tried it with AP assigned to a button I have behind the left spoke of the steering wheel, and I like it a lot! Works as you've described.

I've been pleased with the frequent updates for these buttons since I got them a few months ago. I had two of the buttons situated behind the left and right spoke of the steering wheel and I had them setup as Regen -25% on the left and Regen +25% on the right. I was wishing for functionality to loop back on these Regen settings so I can just use one button and lo and behold, it was added on the latest firmware. So now I just have Regen +25% Looped on the right and the aforementioned AP on the left. Excellent!

When I bought these buttons I thought they were cool to have but maybe I won't actually use them too much, but they are getting more and more useful and I'm really glad I got a set.
I thought I would like the regen changing ability, but my own experience and the video from our friend in Norway shows me that if you use AP a lot, the regen up/down buttons are sort of pointless. I mounted two of my buttons on the back of the steering wheel intending to use them for this... now I think I will assign one of them to the AP resume function and see if I like that.

Keith

I don't use 2 hands. I have only one hand on the 3 position as in the picture and my middle finger is resting on the stick (other hand is resting on the door handle) . Not sure, but I think you still are doing something different than me...Or your fingers are shorter.

I would like the idea of auto engage after overtaking - and if possible without the ding dong sound.
I think you are misunderstanding. You have to use 2 hands to change lanes, unless you're not using the indicators/blinkers to indicate your intention to change lane? Left-hand activate the indicator, one or both hands to move the wheel to change lane, right-hand to then reach and double-tap the TACC/AP stalk.

With the button behind the left mid-wheel, that's all done with minimal effort, using just one-hand. It's not really a preference thing as it's so binary - it's much easier. You absolutely need to be on 2.6.0 (beta) though or it won't work the way I described.