Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S3XY buttons at Abstract Ocean

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't tried the heated steering wheel, but I turned on the rear seat heaters with the S3XY buttons then exited the car. What I observed is that the heaters (or at least the buttons, since they flash heat-level indication when on) stay on until the car enters deep sleep, which I think took somewhere between half an hour to an hour. When the car is in deep sleep the buttons stopped flashing. I checked the seats and they were cool. When your heated steering wheel is on while you're at work, was your sentry mode also on? Maybe that kept the button function active?
Just heard back from Enhance, the makers of the buttons - they indicate the steering wheel heater staying on is a known issue and should be rectified in the beta firmware release later this week. They've also heard from other customers the issue with frunk/chargeport opening with non-assigned door handles though they can't replicate it on their own, supposed to be fixed with a later firmware release too, supposedly in a few weeks. Hope so as these bugs are a bit annoying.

Just heard back from Enhance, the makers of the buttons - they indicate the steering wheel heater staying on is a known issue and should be rectified in the beta firmware release later this week. They've also heard from other customers the issue with frunk/chargeport opening with non-assigned door handles though they can't replicate it on their own, supposed to be fixed with a later firmware release too, supposedly in a few weeks. Hope so as these bugs are a bit annoying.
That's good to know. These buttons aren't perfect but seem to be functional enough to have around.

By the way, one of the buttons on the back of my screen kind of fell off (it dropped down and was hanging on for dear life toward the bottom edge), probably because the cabin temperature was high from the sun (outside was in the 40s but probably at least 80F inside). If they have problems sticking in the summer, I'm probably going to put them back into the tray they came in and just use it as a remote button array.

That's good to know. These buttons aren't perfect but seem to be functional enough to have around.

By the way, one of the buttons on the back of my screen kind of fell off (it dropped down and was hanging on for dear life toward the bottom edge), probably because the cabin temperature was high from the sun (outside was in the 40s but probably at least 80F inside). If they have problems sticking in the summer, I'm probably going to put them back into the tray they came in and just use it as a remote button array.
I actually mentioned the buttons falling off to them and they said to wash with water carefully as its not an adhesive but some "nano sucker". The manufacturer did indicate they're coming out with even stronger backing that we can retrofit, for a price...I guess they're aware of the problem. I would prefer the buttons out in the open if they werent so damn big, and well, unsightly. Have to admit, CS on this has been pretty good though.

Reactions: gx9901
I actually mentioned the buttons falling off to them and they said to wash with water carefully as its not an adhesive but some "nano sucker". The manufacturer did indicate they're coming out with even stronger backing that we can retrofit, for a price...I guess they're aware of the problem. I would prefer the buttons out in the open if they werent so damn big, and well, unsightly. Have to admit, CS on this has been pretty good though.
I wonder how well the nano suckers work in heat. Normal suction cups tend to disengage when there's big temperature changes but do hold if the temps are fairly steady. I think my Quip tooth brush holder uses nano suckers to attach to my mirror, and it seems to fall off once every one or two weeks, so I guess that probably doesn't bode too well for the current S3XY buttons.

I wonder how well the nano suckers work in heat. Normal suction cups tend to disengage when there's big temperature changes but do hold if the temps are fairly steady. I think my Quip tooth brush holder uses nano suckers to attach to my mirror, and it seems to fall off once every one or two weeks, so I guess that probably doesn't bode too well for the current S3XY buttons.
yeah i wonder too, i guess i'll find out shortly as i'll be heading down to southern california in a couple of weeks where it'll likely be in the 80s. On another note, just saw your avatar - i think we may have twin cars, looks like you've got either Tsportline TSTs or Replika R241 in blue/black? Thats what I got too...along with the S3XY buttons.

yeah i wonder too, i guess i'll find out shortly as i'll be heading down to southern california in a couple of weeks where it'll likely be in the 80s. On another note, just saw your avatar - i think we may have twin cars, looks like you've got either Tsportline TSTs or Replika R241 in blue/black? Thats what I got too...along with the S3XY buttons.
I got the TST wheels for winter setup. It didn't register in my brain from your avatar that we have basically twin cars. LOL! You have great taste!:D

saw a youtube video on a guy adding it onto his home charger to open the charge port door on his tesla. He found it useful for even that when you can just leave your car, push a button for the charge port to open and plug it in. Or even opening it without pulling ur phone out or getting into the car etc.

The buttons are ugly, i agree, but the simplicity that these buttons can do basic things might make it worth it for anyone willing to spend on it.

1. opening glovebox
2. opening charge port door without opening ur phone or being inside your car
3. interiors lights
4. folding mirrors

those are the 4 options i've been contemplating getting them for.

saw a youtube video on a guy adding it onto his home charger to open the charge port door on his tesla. He found it useful for even that when you can just leave your car, push a button for the charge port to open and plug it in. Or even opening it without pulling ur phone out or getting into the car etc.

The buttons are ugly, i agree, but the simplicity that these buttons can do basic things might make it worth it for anyone willing to spend on it.

1. opening glovebox
2. opening charge port door without opening ur phone or being inside your car
3. interiors lights
4. folding mirrors

those are the 4 options i've been contemplating getting them for.
Not sure about the mirrors but the other 3 all word via voice commands. And for the charge port, if you're not in the car, you simply push on the c/p door to open it so....

Reactions: jebinc and DrGriz
When these were announced, there were two things I wanted to see added before I would buy them. The first was the ability to turn on/off the headlights (my highest priority). The second was the ability to switch in/out of chill mode (ok, really out and then back in). Neither of these is available via voice commands.

Since they announced the product, drive mode has bene added. I'm still waiting on the headlights and it's a race to see which gets there first: the buttons or the voice command. I'm guessing the buttons will win.

The S3XY buttons are by definition a redundant way to access functions you can access by either using the touch screen or voice command, except they allow for the fastest possible access for most of the currently supported functions. I will say that so far the function I've used the most is actually the frunk opening using the driver's door handle, which is kind of funny. I've also opened the glovebox a few times using the button. So far I do like these buttons and surprisingly I really like the app that shows some additional power usage information.

The S3XY buttons are by definition a redundant way to access functions you can access by either using the touch screen or voice command, except they allow for the fastest possible access for most of the currently supported functions. I will say that so far the function I've used the most is actually the frunk opening using the driver's door handle, which is kind of funny. I've also opened the glovebox a few times using the button. So far I do like these buttons and surprisingly I really like the app that shows some additional power usage information.
I think that the folks in the back seats having access to their seat heater controls is very handy. Also, turning off regenerative braking when you are travelling on steep, icy roads. You can't do that from either the touch screen or via voice command.

I just found out about this from the "V11 sucks" thread.
It is really tempting. I would use one for the glove box, one for chill/normal mode, one for seat heater, and maybe one for mirrors.
But it is a chunk of change, and it is a hardware dongle. Also, they are ugly. So I'm hesitant, but I'll be watching this thread for a while. Thanks for the heads up.

I ordered this mount for holding a tablet in front of the steering wheel.

I also ordered the cell phone holder. They both work as intended and look pretty good. The magnets are very strong. I just ordered a Samsung S7 FE 5G to use in the display of information in my line of sight. 12.4 inches may turn out to be too large but I'm giving it a try. Will also take care of Android Auto not being in the cars system.