Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S3XY buttons at Abstract Ocean

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@dimitar.ns would you consider more types of remotes like a stick-on with 3 up/down pairs so the 6 buttons could be set for example to temp up/down, fan speed up/down, and wiper speed up/down?

Or a remote to put around the left stalk for twist to control wipers?
Yes, definitely! We are currently thinking for something like this for our next product but it might take some time to do it.

Reactions: Transformer
Yes! A lot of people like to do it on the handle or on the station for non-Tesla equipment. It works perfectly outside the car and is very useful for such use-case. You should have in mind that if the car is asleep you should wake it up first by opening a door for example.
Thanks for the info!

Question: Why does something like this require the car to be awake, but the trunk button, door, etc. can wake up the car?

We have the concept for double and long-press actions but unfortunately, we don't have Software update for the Buttons so it's a bit tricky to make it work reliably. The buttons fall asleep with the car and on the next cycle if you want to wake up the button with a double press (instead of a normal press) it might not be detected well. We are looking for a workaround or a different approach. Once we got it right we could release the feature. We will need also some redesign in the app to make it easier to configure the two actions as the current design allows only one.

Door handle functions don't work on the S and X. We will dim them in the app in one of the next updates. We will also add filtering based on the configuration and model (like TrackMode or Heated SteeringWheel etc.).
Yeah, seeing trackmode on my MYP when Tesla still doesn't support it is sad... Tesla promised track mode years ago and we are still lacking the feature.

Keith

Doing a screen reset didn't fix my problem, but unplugging the dongle and plugging it back in did. I hope this doesn't keep happening, I will report back after a while with an update.

Also, one of the features I see is using this dongle with my "scan my Tesla" app. What name will the dongle have when I link the scan my tesla app to it?

Thanks,

Keith

Yes! A lot of people like to do it on the handle or on the station for non-Tesla equipment. It works perfectly outside the car and is very useful for such use-case. You should have in mind that if the car is asleep you should wake it up first by opening a door for example.

Hmmmm, so if I set one of the buttons to do something (open frunk for example) and carry it around with me in my pocket like a key fob this would work?

Keith

@dimitar.ns Would it be possible to add the functionality to have the button bring up the "Trips" window? I think that would be a pretty useful. I like to check the Trips page while I'm driving sometimes and currently it takes 2 clicks to get the page up. If the S3XY button can be used to bring it up in one press it would be great.

Question: Why does something like this require the car to be awake, but the trunk button, door, etc. can wake up the car?
It depends on the car's architecture and how the system is designed. Usually, most of the components are completely shut down or they go to deep-sleep mode (like the Commander) when the car goes to sleep and there is no CAN bus communication in order to consume less energy possible, but the power to other modules (like the door handles and MCU) is not cut and they continue operation in a low-power mode and are activated with a trigger (ex. opening the door). When communications are back the Commander wakes up and tries to connect to the buttons and the car. Buttons have their own power cycle in order to preserve the battery but it's another story :)

Also, one of the features I see is using this dongle with my "scan my Tesla" app. What name will the dongle have when I link the scan my tesla app to it?
You should connect your phone from General Settings to the Commander's WIFI and select WIFI (CanServer/Panda) from SMT App. See more information here - Commander Full

Hmmmm, so if I set one of the buttons to do something (open frunk for example) and carry it around with me in my pocket like a key fob this would work?
It won't work as a key fob because of two reasons:
1. the Power modes described above
2. Frunk can't be opened from the S3XY Buttons if the car is locked

Would it be possible to add the functionality to have the button bring up the "Trips" window?
We get this suggestion very often but unfortunately, we can't do it for now. We didn't find a way to control the MCU and there is no official API to control on-screen actions. Maybe in the future Tesla updates.

Reactions: gx9901
I received and installed them today. I'm already happy, and I've just played with them.

Useful features to add:
Toggle seat warmers and steering wheel heat in one button press.
Temperature controls up and down in addition to the already useful fan controls.
AC on/off.
Recirc on/off.
Ejection seat control.

Reactions: dimitar.ns
Looks like something for our support team. Please, send an email to [email protected] with more info about it.
Sorry I didn't report back on this issue. I unplugged the dongle and plugged it back in and since then it has been working... no idea what caused the problem in the first place though.

Generic question. Does operating things like the heated seats change the display "bacon strips" if you pull up climate control? I like to keep the buttons in out of site areas so I can't see the button flashing to let me know what heat level the seats are set on...

Keith

Hey @dimitar.ns , thank you for this. Just got the full buttons pack and it works wonders. Already have 6 things programmed and am missing a few, but I guess long press will help me with that (like for instance I have a button on the steering that will double as horn and AP engage on long press)

Now, the only thing that I am badly missing is a dedicated "snow mode" button. The background is that the AWD is rear biased and it is terrible if not out right dangerous to drive it in snowy, windy roads with elevation and ice on it as it slides a lot. A lot, a lot!

The regen settings, bringing less regen will probably help (will test next winter), but I still need a way to make the car 50/50 front motor/rear motor, or ideally have lets say 25% increments for both and toggle between it (but just a button that says "snow mode" and puts the car in 50/50 will do).

This will essentially double as a sort of "dedicated track mode" for AWD cars without Performance boost.

If you can do that and if Bjorn does a review on this I am sure your sales will sky rocket!
In his video about the "smart snow mode" almost all the comments said they wished Tesla would put a dedicated snow mode instead of this "dumb" feature.

Tesla has now since some of the latest version what it calls "smart snow mode" where it will "detect" slippery conditions, but it only triggers itself when you are already sliding and I already had 2 near collisions with oncoming traffic last winter until it finally engaged.

This is by far the "dumbest" "smart" feature they have done so far and it is useless, because it time outs after 5 minutes and then it is even harder to engage it/force it to slide again. As if the snow and ice on the road suddenly melts after 5 minutes of driving...It is having an AWD and driving on RWD 99% of the time without an option to use the AWD fully...Stupid.

I think the only reason Tesla doesn't add this as a dedicated "snow mode" settings is because of the EPA range test - I believe, might be wrong, that EPA needs to test the range with all the drive modes in, and if Tesla have a 50/50 snow mode setting, the EPA might need to engage it on their test and the car will be less efficient and show less range. Probably the same reason Tesla removed the regen setting to game the EPA a bit.

This feature will be god send for areas like Sweden, Norway, Austria, Germany, Switzerland and Canada!

Also, in the service menu you can disable battery heater on demand. If I can have that put on a button, this will also help me with the charging on 50kW DC chargers. As I always have to go to service menu to disable this stupid heater.

Maybe you can look into this?

Last edited:
Reactions: DrGriz
Any chance of a reset button on the commander unit? I have to unplug mine and plug it back in most of the time when I get in the car in order to make it work... I would love to just be able to reach back and press a button on the unit to reset it.

Keith

Hey @dimitar.ns , thank you for this. Just got the full buttons pack and it works wonders. Already have 6 things programmed and am missing a few, but I guess long press will help me with that (like for instance I have a button on the steering that will double as horn and AP engage on long press)

Now, the only thing that I am badly missing is a dedicated "snow mode" button. The background is that the AWD is rear biased and it is terrible if not out right dangerous to drive it in snowy, windy roads with elevation and ice on it as it slides a lot. A lot, a lot!

The regen settings, bringing less regen will probably help (will test next winter), but I still need a way to make the car 50/50 front motor/rear motor, or ideally have lets say 25% increments for both and toggle between it (but just a button that says "snow mode" and puts the car in 50/50 will do).

This will essentially double as a sort of "dedicated track mode" for AWD cars without Performance boost.

If you can do that and if Bjorn does a review on this I am sure your sales will sky rocket!
In his video about the "smart snow mode" almost all the comments said they wished Tesla would put a dedicated snow mode instead of this "dumb" feature.

Tesla has now since some of the latest version what it calls "smart snow mode" where it will "detect" slippery conditions, but it only triggers itself when you are already sliding and I already had 2 near collisions with oncoming traffic last winter until it finally engaged.

This is by far the "dumbest" "smart" feature they have done so far and it is useless, because it time outs after 5 minutes and then it is even harder to engage it/force it to slide again. As if the snow and ice on the road suddenly melts after 5 minutes of driving...It is having an AWD and driving on RWD 99% of the time without an option to use the AWD fully...Stupid.

I think the only reason Tesla doesn't add this as a dedicated "snow mode" settings is because of the EPA range test - I believe, might be wrong, that EPA needs to test the range with all the drive modes in, and if Tesla have a 50/50 snow mode setting, the EPA might need to engage it on their test and the car will be less efficient and show less range. Probably the same reason Tesla removed the regen setting to game the EPA a bit.

This feature will be god send for areas like Sweden, Norway, Austria, Germany, Switzerland and Canada!

Also, in the service menu you can disable battery heater on demand. If I can have that put on a button, this will also help me with the charging on 50kW DC chargers. As I always have to go to service menu to disable this stupid heater.

Maybe you can look into this?
100% on the snow mode. Very much needed in Idaho where I live as well. Tesla should do it but there ought to be a way in the mean time.

@dimitar.ns Would it be possible to add the functionality to have the button bring up the "Trips" window? I think that would be a pretty useful. I like to check the Trips page while I'm driving sometimes and currently it takes 2 clicks to get the page up. If the S3XY button can be used to bring it up in one press it would be great.
As of 2022.12.3.2 You can now activate trips window using voice command

@dimitar.ns
I was also wondering about the autopilot hands-on feature.

According to the description for this feature:
"Depending on your country's regulation, if you mount the button the steering wheel this action will be considered hands on the wheel trigger and dismiss the nag"

This doesn't seem to work in Germany. As far as I see the button when pressed just "reconfirms" the set speed (it doesn't go up or down, maybe software bug?), but that doesn't change the nag. I think also moving the speed up and down doesn't clear the nag either, but have to test it.

So my question is - where exactly on the steering wheel should the button be mounted and how will that trigger the "hands on the wheel"? Is it using the weight of the button and what position does it need to be installed on for the weight to be significant and clear the nag? Or do I have to press it every other 10 seconds to clear the nag?

I have it on the horn at the moment and it doesn't do anything, the car still nags me. Even if I press it.

Maybe you can clarify how this feature works?