Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S3XY buttons at Abstract Ocean

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have another newbie question. Do you remove the Enhance commander when you have a service appointment with Tesla? I will be bringing my MYP to Tesla so the can look at my rear door. The hatch. It may be within spec. But I wanted Tesla to look at it. It is about 1/8 in lower on the right side by the taillight.

Should I remove the Enhance Commander? When it’s a cosmetic or body Tesla service appointment?

Thanks. I just got the Y a week ago.
It's up to you. So far we didn't have any customer that said the Commander (or the buttons) caused issues with Tesla service. One of our customers had his Commander removed and placed on the passenger's seat by Tesla but that's all, no warranty violations or something like that. It looks like Tesla is OK with the aftermarket accessories in the cars.

It's up to you. So far we didn't have any customer that said the Commander (or the buttons) caused issues with Tesla service. One of our customers had his Commander removed and placed on the passenger's seat by Tesla but that's all, no warranty violations or something like that. It looks like Tesla is OK with the aftermarket accessories in the cars.

I have a Yoke wheel, Hansshow screen, auto opening frunk, rotating center display, S3XY buttons everywhere, and a camera based rear view mirror... mobile service never said anything about any of my modifications. Look up the moss magnuson warranty act.

Keith

I wish I could add a poll, but since not I'd be very interested in knowing what commands everyone has assigned to their buttons and where each one is mounted. I'm installing today on my M3LR and I'm planning to start with the following, but would welcome others' solutions as well:

* Mirror Fold - Dash, left of steering wheel
* Regen +25 Loop - Rear of steering wheel
* Fan MAX Toggle - Backside of display, drivers side low

For the final button, one of these
* Interior Lights Toggle - Backside of display, drivers side high, OR
* Glove Box - Backside of display, passenger side low.

I'm mainly looking for commands I commonly use but that are buried in the menus. The Regen function is to step immediately from 100% (normal) to 0% for use in bad traction cases like snow and ice. If there were a 0%/100% toggle I would prefer that but the +25 Loop will do what I want for now.

My wishlist:
- Fog Lights toggle (really want this!)
- Regen 0% / 100% toggle

Reactions: Bikeman
I wish I could add a poll, but since not I'd be very interested in knowing what commands everyone has assigned to their buttons and where each one is mounted. I'm installing today on my M3LR and I'm planning to start with the following, but would welcome others' solutions as well:

I'm mainly looking for commands I commonly use but that are buried in the menus. The Regen function is to step immediately from 100% (normal) to 0% for use in bad traction cases like snow and ice. If there were a 0%/100% toggle I would prefer that but the +25 Loop will do what I want for now.

My wishlist:
- Regen 0% / 100% toggle
I have 6 buttons for now, but just ordered 2 more since AO have a sale.

Currently my setup is:
-Behind left steering wheel spoke: Autopilot on.
-Behind right steering wheel spoke: Regen +25% loop.
-Side of steering wheel between right and bottom spoke: Chill/Sport mode toggle.
-Behind display centered: Mirror fold.
-Behind display right edge: Glovebox.
-Above rear vent: Interior lights. This and the 2 extra buttons coming will be set for rear heated seats when weather gets cold. Interior lights is kind of a place holder in the warmer months.

I’m not sure what I’ll do with the 2 incoming buttons, maybe just leave them in the center console bin for a while or stick them somewhere behind the display if I want to use them for something in the summer.

Everything is set up, firmware updated, buttons linked, mapped, and installed. So far so good.

However, I can't get the frunk or charge port smart actions to trigger the way I want. Trying the half press since I don't actually want to open the door(s) but no joy. I see there are v2 and v3 logic options available in 2.6.2 and my M3LR was produced this February so the software is recommending I use v3 (hold the handle for 4 seconds.... which does work), but is there any chance of enabling these features using the half press?

I can deal with it, I just would prefer to not have to open my doors to open my frunk/port. :)

Most used functions are (in the same order) Open glovebox, Interior Lights, Fold mirrors, Chill/Sport, Open Funk/Trunk, Regen and Autopilot Hands-On. The AP feature is getting really popular in US because of the possibility to dismiss the nag with the button.

The Regen function is to step immediately from 100% (normal) to 0% for use in bad traction cases like snow and ice. If there were a 0%/100% toggle I would prefer that but the +25 Loop will do what I want for now.
You can do this currently by setting a button with 0% regen. The first press will switch from 100% (your car's default) to 0%. The second press will switch back to 100% so basically it will work as a toggle between 0 and 100 exactly as you want.

my M3LR was produced this February so the software is recommending I use v3 (hold the handle for 4 seconds.... which does work), but is there any chance of enabling these features using the half press?
For your car you can use only v3 logic (long pull). Unfortunately, Tesla decided to optimize costs in 2021 by removing the angle position sensor in the door handles because they were not using it for a specific feature in the car anyway. Newer models have only On/Off detection and because of this the Commander doesn't have the needed information to detect the Half Press and execute its algorithm for the Frunk/CP opening.
As a compromise we decided to release the v3 Logic which could be detected with the newer models if you hold the handle for more than 4 seconds....the problem of course is that the door is also opened in the process but we cannot prevent that. If somebody has a different suggestion let us know, we could implement another option too :)

Last edited:
You can do this currently by setting a button with 0% regen. The first press will switch from 100% (your car's default) to 0%. The second press will switch back to 100% so basically it will work as a toggle between 0 and 100 exactly as you want.

For your car you can use only v3 logic (long pull). Unfortunately, Tesla decided to optimize costs in 2021 by removing the angle position sensor in the door handles because they were not using it for a specific feature in the car anyway. Newer models have only On/Off detection and because of this the Commander doesn't have the needed information to detect the Half Press and execute its algorithm for the Frunk/CP opening.
As a compromise we decided to release the v3 Logic which could be detected with the newer models if you hold the handle for more than 4 seconds....the problem of course is that the door is also opened in the process but we cannot prevent that. If somebody has a different suggestion let us know, we could implement another option too :)
Hey, thanks for the quick replies! I'll go remap the +25 Regen to 0% Regen - I never expected it to be a toggle but in retrospect that makes a lot of sense. And thank you for explaining the hardware changes Tesla made which made the v3 logic necessary. I appreciate having a solution that works with the sensor hardware in my car.

While I have you - any possibility of adding a Fog Light toggle to the list of new features under consideration?

any possibility of adding a Fog Light toggle to the list of new features under consideration?
Sure, we have had the Fog lights in our plan since the beginning. However, if we enable them from the current connection point of the Commander, they might flicker shortly from time to time. Sometimes it doesn't happen for the whole ride but sometimes you have to turn them on/off again from the s3xy button in order to stop it.
Since we might not find an alternative method soon but a lot of people are asking for Fog lights we were thinking to release them in one of the next updates. For sure there will be people that don't mind these complications. Hopefully we will find a better solution later this year.

I have a Yoke wheel, Hansshow screen, auto opening frunk, rotating center display, S3XY buttons everywhere, and a camera based rear view mirror... mobile service never said anything about any of my modifications. Look up the moss magnuson warranty act.

Keith
Too late to edit...

On the warranty issue, just watched the Ryan Shaw YouTube video about his not covered by warranty $6,000 repair... and yes, Tesla used his aftermarket suspension as an excuse to not investigate the failure further... BUT Ryan didn't push the issue because he knew that the problem was caused by damage from a Turo renter of the car, not a manufacturing defect. If Ryan had not known about the damage (he tried to figure out what had happened prior to the total failure), he would have pushed hard against Tesla and eventually won in the end. Blaming aftermarket parts is a common tactic for getting out of legitimate warranty claims, but if it escalates to taking it to court the law is on your side.

Keith

My wishlist:
- Regen 0% / 100% toggle

All of my buttons are "out of sight out of mind". Also, I put the buttons where my hands rest when I am driving. Back side of left steering wheel spoke is the AP hands on (used as AP engage), back of right side steering wheel spoke is windshield wipers auto / off, center console lid on the passenger side of the latch is the glove box open, and the left side of the latch is mirror tilt. I have two more buttons that I have not placed yet... I may put two more on the back side of the steering wheel spokes as climate control fan up and down. If I commonly had rear seat passengers, I would put one on either side in the back seats for seat heater control of the rear seats. I consider the wiper button and mirror tilt to be "place holder" functions... I will probably change the mirror tilt to cabin lights to see how I like that.

Keith

Last edited:
Too late to edit...

On the warranty issue, just watched the Ryan Shaw YouTube video about his not covered by warranty $6,000 repair... and yes, Tesla used his aftermarket suspension as an excuse to not investigate the failure further... BUT Ryan didn't push the issue because he knew that the problem was caused by damage from a Turo renter of the car, not a manufacturing defect. If Ryan had not known about the damage (he tried to figure out what had happened prior to the total failure), he would have pushed hard against Tesla and eventually won in the end. Blaming aftermarket parts is a common tactic for getting out of legitimate warranty claims, but if it escalates to taking it to court the law is on your side.

Keith
Thanks. I thought about doing a suspension change before I got the MYP. Now that I have it. It rides smooth enough. For the size of rim and tire it’s on. It’s good to know you don’t have to pull out all of your mod’s. I have a 1500 ram. Chrysler would blame any Mod for the vehicle’s warranty issue. Simple stuff that didn’t control or be in the same area of the vehicle. Anyway they could get out of a repair. They would say it’s in your warranty clause. I put larger wheels on it. They told me that could void my warranty. I put an alarm on it. They told me. We noticed you have an alarm. That could void your warranty. 😆

Everything is set up, firmware updated, buttons linked, mapped, and installed. So far so good.

However, I can't get the frunk or charge port smart actions to trigger the way I want. Trying the half press since I don't actually want to open the door(s) but no joy. I see there are v2 and v3 logic options available in 2.6.2 and my M3LR was produced this February so the software is recommending I use v3 (hold the handle for 4 seconds.... which does work), but is there any chance of enabling these features using the half press?

I can deal with it, I just would prefer to not have to open my doors to open my frunk/port. :)

Personally I don't like the half press, because half of the time I end up unlatching the door when I try to half press... or I don't go far enough and it doesn't do anything... I would prefer to use V3, but I don't want to hold for 4 seconds... any chance of getting a shorter time delay (2 seconds perhaps?) on V3?

Keith

Most used functions are (in the same order) Open glovebox, Interior Lights, Fold mirrors, Chill/Sport, Open Funk/Trunk, Regen and Autopilot Hands-On. The AP feature is getting really popular in US because of the possibility to dismiss the nag with the button.

I think the AP "hands on" is popular in the US because the AP/TACC toggle on/off sucks :D

For example, If I do a lane change, when I engage the turn signal and then turn the wheel AP disengages but TACC remains active... if I then push the AP/TACC toggle to re-engage AP it instead turns off TACC, and I have to press the accelerator, and then press the button again to re-engage AP. With the AP "hands on" button, I can change lanes and in one button press re-engage AP. I don't need the "hands on" speed control up/down jiggle, I just need a separate AP on button that doesn't toggle AP and TACC.

For me, with the door handles (my car has the angle sensors), I never seem to get it right... either it doesn't do anything, or I unlatch the door. I would prefer V3 but with a shorter time delay... 4 seconds seems excessive. Or, if a shorter time delay would cause problems perhaps a V4 "press release, press release" (two full presses in rapid secession) to open the frunk / charge port?

Love my buttons!

Keith

any chance of getting a shorter time delay (2 seconds perhaps?) on V3?
Yes, we could do something like this but it should come as V4 (as you suggested). However the whole part for Smart Actions in the app needs a better UI/UX as you can see now we are just adding stuff in the list but we will make it by categories with more info and customizations. Double pull is also an option that will be faster than the 4seconds.

Personally I don't like the half press, because half of the time I end up unlatching the door when I try to half press... or I don't go far enough and it doesn't do anything... I would prefer to use V3, but I don't want to hold for 4 seconds... any chance of getting a shorter time delay (2 seconds perhaps?) on V3?

Keith
If they do less than 4 seconds I hope it's with a separate switch (say V4 or V3.5), as I find 4 seconds to be perfectly fine. I've actually unintentionally opened the frunk while holding the door handle once or twice. Maybe the solution is to have adjustable duration on the V3 logic so we can adjust the duration to our liking. If that was available I might actually change it to 5 seconds.

Reactions: TwelveVoltMan
If they do less than 4 seconds I hope it's with a separate switch (say V4 or V3.5), as I find 4 seconds to be perfectly fine. I've actually unintentionally opened the frunk while holding the door handle once or twice. Maybe the solution is to have adjustable duration on the V3 logic so we can adjust the duration to our liking. If that was available I might actually change it to 5 seconds.
Per dimitar.ns reply above, they would make the shorter pull a separate option (V4), and / or have the press twice in quick succession option (V5?)

Keith

I have another newbie question. Do you remove the Enhance commander when you have a service appointment with Tesla? I will be bringing my MYP to Tesla so the can look at my rear door. The hatch. It may be within spec. But I wanted Tesla to look at it. It is about 1/8 in lower on the right side by the taillight.

Should I remove the Enhance Commander? When it’s a cosmetic or body Tesla service appointment?

Thanks. I just got the Y a week ago.
No

Reactions: Jones1