Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S3XY buttons at Abstract Ocean

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the heat of the screen cause the button to drop off?
I have two buttons behind the screen along the bottom edge. One of them fell off shortly after initial installation. I think I just cleaned the surface and the adhesive pad and pressed harder to stick it back on. For a while I also would press the button along its rim to try to increase adhesion every time I get into the car. All 8 of my buttons have stayed on without issue for months now.

I have two buttons behind the screen along the bottom edge. One of them fell off shortly after initial installation. I think I just cleaned the surface and the adhesive pad and pressed harder to stick it back on. For a while I also would press the button along its rim to try to increase adhesion every time I get into the car. All 8 of my buttons have stayed on without issue for months now.

What would be your thought regarding using a double side tape to the buttons for a stronger adhesion?

What would be your thought regarding using a double side tape to the buttons for a stronger adhesion?
I think the included "nano suction" adhesive pads are just fine. It just may take a little time and patience to get them to stick. As I've mentioned, mine has been in place for months without falling off, and I had re-positioned a couple of them from the front of the car to the backseat area. Wiping the nano suction pads clean with alcohol wipe seems to do the trick. If you can't get them to stick on for whatever reason, there's always 3M automotive tape that should make them stick on.

Reactions: DrGriz
I think the included "nano suction" adhesive pads are just fine. It just may take a little time and patience to get them to stick. As I've mentioned, mine has been in place for months without falling off, and I had re-positioned a couple of them from the front of the car to the backseat area. Wiping the nano suction pads clean with alcohol wipe seems to do the trick. If you can't get them to stick on for whatever reason, there's always 3M automotive tape that should make them stick on.

Thanks

I get mine this Monday. I'll wipe the suction pads and area with alcohol wipes first and see what happens

You don't necessarily need to wipe them with alcohol pad for the first install. They recommend doing that when you're re-positioning the buttons or if they have trouble sticking.

thumbs up1.jpg

Thought I’d document my current S3XY button setup for the heck of it.

Behind left spoke: 1-click AP hands-on, 2-click wiper off-auto toggle
F915E3A0-2E35-438F-81CE-04554D50E237.jpeg

Behind right spoke: 1-click regen cycle up, 2-click headlights on
4D9A13FC-8F86-4514-8783-23F0683FBA06.jpeg

Right of steering wheel hub: 1-click drive mode toggle, 2-click unlock child-lock
C3BF3078-69A2-48F7-9543-47945B4FAC5B.jpeg

Behind center screen: center-1-click fold mirror, center-2-click rear vent toggle, right-1-click glovebox, right-2-click interior lights toggle
3FC68ADB-4169-4094-88ED-466C55240C3E.jpeg

Above rear vents: 1-click toggle each of the 3 rear seat heaters, 2-click rear vent toggle (same for all 3 buttons)
584A04DD-CC8C-476F-ADF6-B7821303FB99.jpeg

I LOVE the addition of double click functionality!

View attachment 877558

View attachment 877559

Right of steering wheel hub: 1-click drive mode toggle, 2-click unlock child-lock
View attachment 877560

Behind center screen: center-1-click fold mirror, center-2-click rear vent toggle, right-1-click glovebox, right-2-click interior lights toggle
View attachment 877563

Above rear vents: 1-click toggle each of the 3 rear seat heaters, 2-click rear vent toggle (same for all 3 buttons)
View attachment 877564

Why AP and headlights on the buttons?

View attachment 877558

View attachment 877559

View attachment 877560

View attachment 877563

View attachment 877564

Am I counting correctly? You have nine buttons?

Why AP and headlights on the buttons?
With the AP button behind the left spoke, I can execute a lane change and re-engage AP with my left hand in one smooth motion. Someone earlier in this thread described this and I tried it and loved it.

As for the headlights, I set it to use when it’s raining in the daytime to quickly turn them on. I only did this recently so haven’t used it that way too much. But it seems like it should be useful.

Am I counting correctly? You have nine buttons?
I have 8. That’s the maximum number of buttons supported, I think.

Reactions: HSATD
With the AP button behind the left spoke, I can execute a lane change and re-engage AP with my left hand in one smooth motion. Someone earlier in this thread described this and I tried it and loved it.

As for the headlights, I set it to use when it’s raining in the daytime to quickly turn them on. I only did this recently so haven’t used it that way too much. But it seems like it should be useful.
I'll have to try them :)

View attachment 877558

View attachment 877559

View attachment 877560

View attachment 877563

View attachment 877564

I wasn't even aware of the double click until I saw your post!

I haven't seen red bezels before...
They were a limited edition last Christmas. We will add separate Red bezels to the website next year as an add-on.

The commander uses WiFi, why not bluetooth?
The Commander is using Bluetooth (BLE) for the Buttons and S3XY Buttons App communication because the interface between them is proprietary and optimized for high speed, low latency, and big data rate.
However, we use WiFi for ScanMyTesla and TesLAX apps because they use a generic interface that is not optimized and the BLE bandwidth would not be enough for the amount of data we send to these apps.

I LOVE the block on auto high beam headlights!

I discovered that 2 seconds is too short of a time for the Frunk open, but 3 seconds is perfect for me, much better than 4 seconds.

I still haven't experimented much with the double press or long press options yet... I am thinking about all the cool things I can add now... now in effect I have 12 buttons and I will be re-visiting the capabilities that I didn't think were worth dedicating a button to.

I am thinking that some buttons I use rapid presses already (raising fan speed, windshield wiper speed, things like that) Right now a double press on fan up button just means raise fan speed from 3 to 5, to avoid interfering with that functionality I will use a long press for the second option on that button.

Later,

Keith

Reactions: dimitar.ns
They were a limited edition last Christmas. We will add separate Red bezels to the website next year as an add-on.

The Commander is using Bluetooth (BLE) for the Buttons and S3XY Buttons App communication because the interface between them is proprietary and optimized for high speed, low latency, and big data rate.
However, we use WiFi for ScanMyTesla and TesLAX apps because they use a generic interface that is not optimized and the BLE bandwidth would not be enough for the amount of data we send to these apps.
Since we normally don't use Wi-Fi, I wish we could selectively turn it off or on from the app.
I try to minimize Wi-Fi exposure and I'm getting bombarded by the commander for no purpose.

Reactions: PNWLeccy