Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S3XY buttons at Abstract Ocean

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dimitar.ns new product idea for you!

Many with the OEM tesla Yoke wheel do not like that it doesn't have a horn in the center... this can be corrected by using a S3XY button mounted on the airbag cover... could you make a button that didn't look so goofy mounted to the center of the airbag? Something with the same functionality, but that didn't stick out when mounted to the airbag cover. Perhaps even a replacement cover for the airbag with a S3XY button integrated into it?

I don't have a dog in this fight with my MYP, just thought it would be a cool idea.

Keith
I share your desire for a center horn, but anything mounted to the airbag becomes a projectile in a collision. Altering the airbag cover risks defeating it.

Also, dogs should not fight

New firmware and the door handles are fixed 👍👍👍

One request... I was wondering if you can display the secondary function associated with a button as well as the primary? Some of the secondarys I am using are "once in a while" use only, and I forget what secondary function is programmed to what button :D

Keith
With the current design of the app there is no space for this. We will have it in mind when re-designing the app later next year.

Does anyone have experience going in for Tesla service with dongle and buttons visible? Did they care that you have it installed?
So far our customers said they don't care but we always recommend removing it before going to service.

Now back to our main story :D

Dimitar.ns is there any plans to change the main screen with display options? When I am pre-conditioning the battery I would like to know several of the battery temperature parameters so I can judge when it is pre-conditioned enough :)

Later,

Keith
@bmah already replied quite well on this. We will extend the Dashboard next year with more views especially one for the Preconditioning with target temperatures etc.

I attempted to pre-condition the battery when going to a CCS charger. It said that the preconditioning was taking place, but when I looked at the energy consumption in the onscreen new energy app, my energy use for preconditioning remained at zero. I didn't know of any other way to jumpstart the preconditioning while driving.
We will fix the Preconditioning with some cars in the next update. There are still some issues with this feature.

Seems Tesla changed the behavior (for the better!) of the “auto” button in the HVAC display. 2022.44.2 now pressing “auto” doesn’t force the heated seats into “auto”.

But, if you can make the S3XY button’s LED illuminate when “recirc” is active that would be an excellent enhancement.

Thanks for the excellent support!
We are adding Button states with the next app update (see below) and Recirculation is there. However in the future we might add individual LED setting for each button if you like.

Dimitar.ns new product idea for you!

Many with the OEM tesla Yoke wheel do not like that it doesn't have a horn in the center... this can be corrected by using a S3XY button mounted on the airbag cover... could you make a button that didn't look so goofy mounted to the center of the airbag? Something with the same functionality, but that didn't stick out when mounted to the airbag cover. Perhaps even a replacement cover for the airbag with a S3XY button integrated into it?

I don't have a dog in this fight with my MYP, just thought it would be a cool idea.

Keith
Fixing Horn for refreshed S and X is a good idea but it is NOT RECOMMENDED to place the button on top of the Airbag as it will be bad in case of an accident. You can always place it below the airbag and still have better feedback than the capacitive buttons.

@dimitar.ns What does the little red dot next to the "Commander settings" in the app mean? I figured it meant that I need to look at something in there, but I went through all the options and the red dot doesn't go away...

BTW: I am on Android if that means anything.
It indicates the new menus in the Commander Settings for all the Smart Actions. Our "Red dot" aka New Feature indication is still not perfect but we will improve it with the next versions of the app.

BTW, Is there anyone with Model S and X that wants to ALPHA test the new release? Please, DM me your email so we can add you to TestFlight (iPhone) and give you access to the new app. Here is a sneak peek of the upcoming release notes dropping just for Christmas:

🎄HOLIDAY UPDATE 🎅

- Off-road assist (SNOW MODE) for Model 3 and Model Y
- Stopping Mode - CREEP, HOLD, and ROLL
- Slip Start toggle
- Button for Very Short Honk - Pedestrian attention button
- Fan Speed increase and decrease by 3 steps (1-4-7-10)
- Wipers Washer button
- Wipers single wipe button
- Presenting doors Smart Action (Beta)
- Show more button states in the app - Heated Seats, Climate Controls, Traction Control, Stopping mode, etc.
- Bigger gear indicator
- Optimize wrong signals detection
- Other bug fixes and improvements

I share your desire for a center horn, but anything mounted to the airbag becomes a projectile in a collision. Altering the airbag cover risks defeating it.

Also, dogs should not fight

I don't have a desire for this myself, I have a MYP with a regular center horn... but some people with Model S and X that have the factory Yoke are already using S3XY buttons as a horn... also, replacement Alcantara airbag covers are common... I am just pointing out that dimitar.ns could capitalize on this by combining the two.

Didn't pokemon cartoons encourage a culture of dog fighting in the youth of the world? You capture them, train them to fight, and then pit them in battle against one another...

Keith

• Funny
Reactions: CyberGus
Anyone have trouble connecting to the commander lately? Just recently i haven't been able to connect at all. I deleted the android app and tried connecting again. It sees it and tries to connect but just keeps spinning trying to connect but never does

The buttons work but without being able to connect I can't make any changes.

I downloaded the latest firmware (holiday update) and I can not find the very short honk that was listed in the release notes. If it hasn't been implemented yet and its inclusion in the release notes was in error, I have a suggestion :) If you want to do a pedestrian alert style honk make it two very short beeps instead of just one very short beep.

<edit> Dang it, checked the app again this morning and NOW the very short honk shows up! When it did't appear yesterday after the firmware update I re-started the app thinking this would make it appear... now just confused as to how it works sometimes. </edit>

Thanks,

Keith

Last edited:
I downloaded the latest firmware (holiday update) and I can not find the very short honk that was listed in the release notes. If it hasn't been implemented yet and its inclusion in the release notes was in error, I have a suggestion :) If you want to do a pedestrian alert style honk make it two very short beeps instead of just one very short beep.

<edit> Dang it, checked the app again this morning and NOW the very short honk shows up! When it did't appear yesterday after the firmware update I re-started the app thinking this would make it appear... now just confused as to how it works sometimes. </edit>

Thanks,

Keith
It could be that your phone app wasn’t updated to the latest when you updated the firmware. There’s been a couple of times where I didn’t see the new functions after a firmware update until after I updated the phone app.

Reactions: dimitar.ns
Anyone have trouble connecting to the commander lately? Just recently i haven't been able to connect at all. I deleted the android app and tried connecting again. It sees it and tries to connect but just keeps spinning trying to connect but never does

The buttons work but without being able to connect I can't make any changes.
Did you update your phone to Android 13 recently? (Or if you are using Samsung, One UI 5) If so that's likely the problem. Android 13 seems to cause a lot of problems for Bluetooth connections, especially BLE devices (I guess the commander is?). I'm having the same issue but apparently everything works fine on iPhones.

Did you update your phone to Android 13 recently? (Or if you are using Samsung, One UI 5) If so that's likely the problem. Android 13 seems to cause a lot of problems for Bluetooth connections, especially BLE devices (I guess the commander is?). I'm having the same issue but apparently everything works fine on iPhones.

Yup that was it. Used an older android phone and it worked.

Same situation here. I finally had to connect with a tablet. Hopefully a fix is incoming.

Anyone have trouble connecting to the commander lately?
@forzawq actually answered very well on this question.
I think there is a new update from Samsung (VL7 and VL9) which aims to fix the issue but it's still not confirmed by our engineers. We will do it after the holidays.

Here is our official statement on this topic:
We found some connectivity issues with Samsung devices (Fold and Flip) when updated to Android 13. This is a common issue with these phones and you might have a similar experience with other Bluetooth devices or Smart home devices (Fitbit, Garmin, etc.). Samsung decided to lower the bandwidth of the BLE communication for these devices and we cannot transfer the data needed between the Commander and the app.
We are looking for a workaround but in the meantime, Samsung might also release an update so please, check for a new Android version/patch or for a new S3XY Buttons app version.
Sorry for the inconvenience. You could still configure the buttons with other phones and use them without a phone in your car.

I have a suggestion :) If you want to do a pedestrian alert style honk make it two very short beeps instead of just one very short beep.
Good idea! We will do it ;)

Can anyone confirm that this works in the Model 3?
Yes, it's working even on Model 3 - see this video

CREEP mode is also working on Model S and X even if it's hidden from the menu just like the Off-road for Model 3 and Regen for all cars after 2021.
You can now do much more with the buttons!

Here is the full list of features with the Holiday Update:

🎄 HOLIDAY UPDATE 🎅

- Off-road assist (SNOW MODE) Model 3 & Y
- Stopping Mode - CREEP, HOLD, and ROLL
- Slip Start toggle
- Pedestrian attention button (Accessibility > Very Short Honk)
- Fan Speed increase and decrease by 3 steps (1-4-7-10)
- Wipers Washer button
- Wipers single wipe button
- Presenting doors Smart Action (Beta)
- Show more button states in the app - Heated Seats, Climate Controls, Traction Control, Stopping mode, etc.
- Bigger gear indicator
- Battery Preconditioning fix crashes in some cars and show if heating is requested but not available (Prec. N/A)
- Optimize wrong signals detection
- Fix Commander restart on long rides
- Other bug fixes and improvements
(use app v2.12.2 or newer)

Let me know any questions you might have about it. Would be happy to answer :)

@forzawq actually answered very well on this question.
I think there is a new update from Samsung (VL7 and VL9) which aims to fix the issue but it's still not confirmed by our engineers. We will do it after the holidays.

Here is our official statement on this topic:
We found some connectivity issues with Samsung devices (Fold and Flip) when updated to Android 13. This is a common issue with these phones and you might have a similar experience with other Bluetooth devices or Smart home devices (Fitbit, Garmin, etc.). Samsung decided to lower the bandwidth of the BLE communication for these devices and we cannot transfer the data needed between the Commander and the app.
We are looking for a workaround but in the meantime, Samsung might also release an update so please, check for a new Android version/patch or for a new S3XY Buttons app version.
Sorry for the inconvenience. You could still configure the buttons with other phones and use them without a phone in your car.

I received "System Update 3" on my Samsung Z Fold 4 today and was able to connect again.

@dimitar.ns Happy New Year! I just got the buttons and love them so far. Thank you for creating this product.
qq: since Tesla removed the vent/close windows in recent cars, can you add a function to open/vent/close all/individual windows to your buttons? I think people will use it while Tesla is working on a solution... would be cool to return "Close all windows on exit" functionality using the Commander settings. What do you think? (not sure if it was already requested, but if it was count me as +1 :)) Thanks!

• Love
Is Off-road assist and SNOW MODE the same thing?
Yes, it’s the same, it distributes the power and regen equally to front and rear motor in dual motor cars. You can see more in the dedicated thread mentioned above.

since Tesla removed the vent/close windows in recent cars, can you add a function to open/vent/close all/individual windows to your buttons? I think people will use it while Tesla is working on a solution... would be cool to return "Close all windows on exit" functionality using the Commander settings. What do you think?
It’s a good idea! We will try to do it with one of the next updates 😉

Hi @dimitar.ns, Happy New Year. Just got my s3xy button yesterday, updating my experience here, I am running the latest FW on both of my car and s3xy button as well as phone apps(car 2022 Model S LR in US):

- Autopilot Hands-on, it acts same as the autopilot toggle(i.e. 1st push engage, push again will disengage the auto-pilot during autopilot) for some reason, not sure if the problem is unique to me

- Can we in future add the option to toggle auto high beam using button(I noticed disable auto high bean is already a smart actions so I assume it should be possible)?

Anyway, awesome product and hope to see more features in future.