Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S3XY Buttons on Palladium Model X, First Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bmah

Moderator, Supercharger Hunter
Global Moderator
Mar 17, 2015
Lafayette, CA, USA
Coming from a 2015 Model S, which I though was already lacking in physical controls, I was somewhat dismayed to see that the 2021+ Palladium Model X (and S presumably) has even fewer buttons, etc. and makes even more functions dependent on the touch screen. The S3XY Buttons seem like a partial fix for some of these problems, so I ordered a two-button bundle via Abstract Ocean. This feels like a work in progress, but I definitely see potential here. Here are a few things I found out when I installed this on my 2022 Long Range Model X.

First, installing on the Palladium Model X (and again I presume the S will be similar) is different from the Model 3 or Y. There's a YouTube video (linked from Abstract Ocean) on how to do this. In a nutshell it requires pulling out the wireless phone charger and accessing the diagnostic connector behind the charger pads. In the video, the phone charger snaps out and you swing it to the right side. That didn't work on my car, because the wires going to the hazard and PRND touchpads were attached to a bracket with some Velcro-like cable tie. I was able however to swing it a little to the left, enough to do the install. I suppose I could have cut the cable tie, but admittedly didn't have the nerve to. (In the photo below, it's the rightmost of the three wire bundles in the lower left part of the picture, tied to a slot in the plastic bracket below..)

IMG_9329.JPG

Another issue was that in the video, the diagnostic connector gets pulled out from behind a second panel. On my car, it's actually clipped to the panel with a white gizmo. With a little work I got the connector (with the white thingy) unsnapped and threaded back to the location in the video.

IMG_9330.JPG

IMG_9331.JPG

After this I attached the Palladium S/X specific wiring harness, and plugged in the Commander module (dongle). After getting lights, I buttoned everything back up.

The iOS app paired with the Commander with no problem. It took me several tries to update the firmware, and it wasn't clear from the spinning wheel in the app what was going on. I finally got a good update on about the 4th or 5th try, and I realized that you can tell the update is working when there's a percentage completion in addition to the spinning UI stuff.

The first button has a default function of opening the glovebox, which worked great. (Opening the frunk and trunk also operate correctly.) But I'm having some issues getting some of the other functions to work. (Specifically I'm trying to get low-beam headlights to work because I need an easy way to turn those on manually.) I could easily imagine that there hasn't been a lot of testing time on the Model X (since it's a relatively new and less-common vehicle), but it'd be great to know what's expected to work on my car.

I like the dashboard on the app (especially the full-screen version). I'm not sure to what extent I'd use it in everyday driving, since the S/X have an actual instrument cluster screen already, but it makes me nostalgic for the instrument cluster display we used to have on the pre-Autopilot Model S. One glitch I noticed is that one of the gauges (the front motor power) seems to oscillate between zero and some large value even when the car is standing still.

I like this product and see its potential, even though it feels like it's not quite finished for the Tesla I currently drive. I'm looking forward to seeing the X get the functionality that the 3/Y seem to have. (I'd probably be up for buying a few more buttons then.)

Two disclaimers: As I write this I haven't tried asking for any assistance (@dimitar.ns seems to be very helpful as a manufacturer's rep over on the Model Y forums)...it is completely possible there's some user error involved. Also...I have no affiliation with either Enhance or Abstract Ocean.

Bruce.

Coming from a 2015 Model S, which I though was already lacking in physical controls, I was somewhat dismayed to see that the 2021+ Palladium Model X (and S presumably) has even fewer buttons, etc. and makes even more functions dependent on the touch screen. The S3XY Buttons seem like a partial fix for some of these problems, so I ordered a two-button bundle via Abstract Ocean. This feels like a work in progress, but I definitely see potential here. Here are a few things I found out when I installed this on my 2022 Long Range Model X.

First, installing on the Palladium Model X (and again I presume the S will be similar) is different from the Model 3 or Y. There's a YouTube video (linked from Abstract Ocean) on how to do this. In a nutshell it requires pulling out the wireless phone charger and accessing the diagnostic connector behind the charger pads. In the video, the phone charger snaps out and you swing it to the right side. That didn't work on my car, because the wires going to the hazard and PRND touchpads were attached to a bracket with some Velcro-like cable tie. I was able however to swing it a little to the left, enough to do the install. I suppose I could have cut the cable tie, but admittedly didn't have the nerve to. (In the photo below, it's the rightmost of the three wire bundles in the lower left part of the picture, tied to a slot in the plastic bracket below..)

View attachment 827156

Another issue was that in the video, the diagnostic connector gets pulled out from behind a second panel. On my car, it's actually clipped to the panel with a white gizmo. With a little work I got the connector (with the white thingy) unsnapped and threaded back to the location in the video.

View attachment 827160

View attachment 827161

After this I attached the Palladium S/X specific wiring harness, and plugged in the Commander module (dongle). After getting lights, I buttoned everything back up.

The iOS app paired with the Commander with no problem. It took me several tries to update the firmware, and it wasn't clear from the spinning wheel in the app what was going on. I finally got a good update on about the 4th or 5th try, and I realized that you can tell the update is working when there's a percentage completion in addition to the spinning UI stuff.

The first button has a default function of opening the glovebox, which worked great. (Opening the frunk and trunk also operate correctly.) But I'm having some issues getting some of the other functions to work. (Specifically I'm trying to get low-beam headlights to work because I need an easy way to turn those on manually.) I could easily imagine that there hasn't been a lot of testing time on the Model X (since it's a relatively new and less-common vehicle), but it'd be great to know what's expected to work on my car.

I like the dashboard on the app (especially the full-screen version). I'm not sure to what extent I'd use it in everyday driving, since the S/X have an actual instrument cluster screen already, but it makes me nostalgic for the instrument cluster display we used to have on the pre-Autopilot Model S. One glitch I noticed is that one of the gauges (the front motor power) seems to oscillate between zero and some large value even when the car is standing still.

I like this product and see its potential, even though it feels like it's not quite finished for the Tesla I currently drive. I'm looking forward to seeing the X get the functionality that the 3/Y seem to have. (I'd probably be up for buying a few more buttons then.)

Two disclaimers: As I write this I haven't tried asking for any assistance (@dimitar.ns seems to be very helpful as a manufacturer's rep over on the Model Y forums)...it is completely possible there's some user error involved. Also...I have no affiliation with either Enhance or Abstract Ocean.

Bruce.

thanks for the write up! I hope they are actively making updates for the X. I am interested in the mirror fold. have you tried that?

thanks for the write up! I hope they are actively making updates for the X. I am interested in the mirror fold. have you tried that?

I tried the mirror fold and it didn't work. :-(

After reading some of the documentation, it appears that the software version of the car and firmware on the commander module can be relevant to things working, so just for the sake of posterity: 2022.12.3.20 (FSD beta) and 2.7.3.

Bruce.

After reading some of the documentation, it appears that the software version of the car and firmware on the commander module can be relevant to things working, so just for the sake of posterity: 2022.12.3.20 (FSD beta) and 2.7.3.

Bruce.
So it sounds like more stuff to worry about. Basically a new update could break all your added buttons.

There's a YouTube video (linked from Abstract Ocean) on how to do this.
Thanks for the excellent review and valuable comments Bruce! Next month, we will have a better and more accurate video for the Model X installation.

It took me several tries to update the firmware, and it wasn't clear from the spinning wheel in the app what was going on.
We know about this issue on some phones and with some OS versions. We are working on some fixes related to the firmware update which will be released next month.

I like this product and see its potential, even though it feels like it's not quite finished for the Tesla I currently drive. I'm looking forward to seeing the X get the functionality that the 3/Y seem to have.
You can check this link for the progress of the features across different models https://enhauto.com/button-functions
It provides an overview of the features and sometimes shows features in development planned short-term.

We will fix the mirrors in August. We need additional testing with an actual car for this.

In theory yes, although I'm not sure how likely that is in practice.
Well said! Tesla changes some of the messages from time to time in order to add new features or adjust for new models (PLAID, Cybertruck etc.). However, we can also fix and adjust message mapping with a firmware update from our side. The problem is that there might be some days between you updating your car and we released a fix for this car version. You might take a look at this page on our site before updating your car if you don't want this to happen: https://enhauto.com/supported-tesla-versions

I have an MYP and Plaid S and plan to install this in both, IF the app will recognize the two cars uniquely when driving each one. Does it?
Yes, it's supported, just swipe from the right on the home screen. Regarding the "Turn Off Headlights" we will check the feasibility of that feature. Can you give me more background of the use-case you have and when would you use it?

Reactions: Stin121
@bmah we released a new Beta version yesterday which will fix most of the issues with your PLAID. Here are the release notes for Beta 2.8.0:
- PLAID Model S/X features: Fold Mirrors, Hazard Lights, Headlights On, High beam On, Voice Control, Autopilot, Rear Vent Control
- PLAID Model S/X Dashboard: fix turn signals, fix Front and Rear invertor power consumption
- PLAID Model X doors open and close
- Model 3/Y headlights On fixed
- Remove unsupported SmartActions for PLAID Model S/X
- Optimize vehicle connection and adjust to the latest signals

Let me know if you still have issues on your side. It would be interesting if Open Doors work on the Model S with the same implementation but the chances are small.

The next update for the PLAID will include ventilated seats, screen tilt and PLAID acceleration mode. Unfortunately still no success with the suspension control.

Reactions: Stin121
@bmah we released a new Beta version yesterday which will fix most of the issues with your PLAID. Here are the release notes for Beta 2.8.0:
- PLAID Model S/X features: Fold Mirrors, Hazard Lights, Headlights On, High beam On, Voice Control, Autopilot, Rear Vent Control
- PLAID Model S/X Dashboard: fix turn signals, fix Front and Rear invertor power consumption

Let me know if you still have issues on your side. It would be interesting if Open Doors work on the Model S with the same implementation but the chances are small.

The next update for the PLAID will include ventilated seats, screen tilt and PLAID acceleration mode. Unfortunately still no success with the suspension control.

Cool, thanks for the follow-up and fixes! JFYI I don't really own a Plaid Model X, it's actually a Long Range. Testing results against beta firmware 2.8.1 (still 2022.12.3.20 on the car):

* Fold mirrors OK
* Hazard Lights OK
* Headlights On No (still no effect)
* Yoke High Beam On OK (this is better, it's a longer high beam flash than before)
* Voice Control OK
* Autopilot didn't try this yet
* Rear Vent Control OK

* Dashboard / Fix turn signals OK
* Dashboard / Front and Rear inverter power The front doesn't oscillate weirdly anymore but I'm not sure what it's showing. Rear seems to be zero all the time. I need to do some more testing here to see what's going on.

* Model X doors open and close OK (all four doors)

Other things I tried:

* Acceleration toggle OK (toggles between Chill and Sport, still no Insane mode)
* Charge Port OK
* Tilt Mirrors No
* Steering Heating No
* Thank You OK
* Interior Lights No

Now budgeting to buy some more buttons. 😎

Bruce.

What are your favorite "buttons" and do you have pictures of placement that you care to share?

I only have two buttons right now. One is "Open Frunk", and it's on the dash to the left of the yoke. The other is "Open Glove Compartment", and it's on the back side of the screen on the right / passenger side.

Other functions I'm interested in: "Open Trunk" (will probably go next to "Open Frunk"), "Headlights On", "Fold Mirrors", "Interior Lights". That's

Bruce.

PS. I should mention that @dimitar.ns and I traded some PMs for additional troubleshooting, and we resolved several of the outstanding issues I mentioned in my previous post.

PPS. I saw a review on Abstract Ocean that was recommending inside of the door pockets, roof glass, and back of the screen as possible button locations. Might think about that a bit.

I would order some buttons if they could change the suspension setting from sport to comfort, change regeneration strength and/or be able to turn track mode on (especially if it can be done without going into Park first).

I have been told that some of these features are on the drawing board. Once those are off the drawing board I will be drawing a check!

I ordered last week, just waiting on the adaptor cable.

What I miss most from my 17X was the ability to change fan speed. My current plans once this cable gets here, is to put two behind the screen on drivers side for fan speed up & down, and one on passenger side behind screen for glove box. Debating what the 4th one will go for. I would love the ability to increase regen from stock. I feel like its less than my 17X, and definitely less than my wife's Ioniq 5. I think I will play around with what works and assists me the most.

Love the idea of these, hope they live up to my expectations.

Reactions: dimitar.ns

I would also be interested in the suspension adjustment for a model X. Please let us know if that is in the plans! 😊

Do these work to actuate left/right turn signals?

I hate the button placement for traffic circles and other quick left-right-left style manoeuvres. I wonder if a S3XY button on each side of the backside of the yoke would allow me to signal left/right more easily?

Do these work to actuate left/right turn signals?

I hate the button placement for traffic circles and other quick left-right-left style manoeuvres. I wonder if a S3XY button on each side of the backside of the yoke would allow me to signal left/right more easily?
Yes, you can turn the turn signals on and off with the S3XY Buttons. A lot of people are using them for that on the Yoke.