Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S60 - 210 miles stated vs actual charge after charge is 205

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Howdy,

Being a new MS60 owner, I have a question regarding the batter range. Everyone says the S60 has a stated range of 210 but when I charge to full (100%), it says the range is 205. Is there a problem OR is that just the way it supposed to work?

Thank you!

What year is your vehicle?

Is that the 'rated' or 'ideal' range?

I just purchased a 2014 Model S 60. I've never charged it to 100%, but at 90% I get about 295km of 'idea' range, suggesting a max range of 328km, which is about 205m.

On Tesla's website, the 'advertised' range is significantly more, but if everyone is getting 210, then it means you and I have lost 5m (or about 2.4%) of our capacity.

My RATED range is much less however, at around only 250km on a 90% charge. And in reality, I don't even get that much, but probably because it's winter and the cold, rain, snow and win can reduce range.

The car is a 2016. I was hoping since the batter was software limited, a 100% would mean 210. Guess not. Thanks for all the insight.

Random question - Does anyone have any experience going into a service center and haveing them "give you a little more" of the battery in order to get 210?

Thank you!

I doubt they would do that ... but on another thread I noticed that folks say you have more mileage left after you hit zero ... so you could always play around with that a little if you are trying to go somewhere .. weather, use of the heater etc. plays a major role .. one thing I have noticed is that folks tend not to drive to empty like an ICE vehicle .. more so for long trips .. they make quick stops to top off.

• Informative
Reactions: Munk
Being a new MS60 owner, I have a question regarding the batter range. Everyone says the S60 has a stated range of 210 but when I charge to full (100%), it says the range is 205. Is there a problem OR is that just the way it supposed to work?
The battery loses a few percent in the first year, then about 1 percent per year after that. For example I have an early 60 which had EPA rated range 208 miles. During the first year it was down to 204, and now it's at 200.
I have a 2016 S60 - mine showed 210 this morning after a full charge at 60 degrees F. I think temperature is a factor - I have seen it between 205-209 when it is colder. Recent driving history may be a factor as well.
Yes temperature is a factor, but the opposite direction. When colder your range will show less. No, recent driving history has nothing to do with the rated range. It's the range on the EPA test cycle.
on another thread I noticed that folks say you have more mileage left after you hit zero ... so you could always play around with that a little if you are trying to go somewhere .
Really irresponsible to suggest such a thing. That's the way to end up on a flatbed truck being towed to the next supercharger. Remember the range is an estimate-- battery state of charge can't be measured directly-- and can be off by a few miles. Just because someone reported being able to drive past zero once doesn't mean the car is made to do that. Lots of tow truck drivers (and embarrassed owners) can attest to that. It's even been reported that in cold weather the car has shut down before zero.

• Informative
Reactions: Munk
I'm a new 60D owner. (got mine 6 days ago)
When I picked it up from the Service Center, it had (I think) 218 rated miles with a full charge.
I've charged to full 3 times. once with a trickle charger, the other 2 times with an SC.
I got 215 miles each time.

For what it's worth: My electric company hasn't hooked up my Nema 14-50 service yet.
My original plan was to just trickle charge over night. it worked the first night, but now no longer works. It just keeps getting interrupted for some reason.

thus: I'm going to the SC every 2-3 days to Supercharge until my home electric is hooked up.

Howdy,

Thank you!
The other thing people didn't mention is that having range mode on and off changes things also. And depending on the charging pattern of your car, sometimes the pack can report more if you drive it down a bit and then do a full charge and leave it plugged in for a while (see battery balancing).

Does anyone have any experience going into a service center and haveing them "give you a little more" of the battery in order to get 210
Definitely not gonna happen.

I started at 210 but I went down to 208 before I upgraded to 75. I think it takes driving and temperature into affect.
Exact same behavior as mine. I have a 9/16 S60. It showed 210 the first month and then settled at 208. Today I did the 75kw upgrade.

Exact same behavior as mine. I have a 9/16 S60. It showed 210 the first month and then settled at 208. Today I did the 75kw upgrade.
Out of curiosity, when folks on the non-software limited 60 charge to 100%... Does the energy graph top out at 99%, or 98%, etc. as battery degrades over time? Do any software limited 60s show anything less than 100%? Ours does not yet.

• Helpful
Reactions: doubleohwhat
Temperature plays a big part in it also. My 60D usually charges to 198 to 200 @ 90% when the weather was warm/hot. With the "cold" snap that we have had it was dipping as low as 195 @ 90%. Today though it has warmed back up somewhat and it just finished charging to 197 @ 90%.

It is likely temperature alone. Range mode no longer seems to affect the rated mile estimate. My new 60D only full charged to 215 (instead of rated 218). The issue is likely that it is winter. Other owners reported getting 220 in the summer and the same 214-216 range in the winter. Same cars too little time for any real degradation.

Reactions: jelloslug
It is likely temperature alone. Range mode no longer seems to affect the rated mile estimate. My new 60D only full charged to 215 (instead of rated 218). The issue is likely that it is winter. Other owners reported getting 220 in the summer and the same 214-216 range in the winter. Same cars too little time for any real degradation.
Exactly. I can see the range change exactly with the weather. Plus, this is how my i3 and my Leaf reacted to the different seasons.

Out of curiosity, when folks on the non-software limited 60 charge to 100%... Does the energy graph top out at 99%, or 98%, etc. as battery degrades over time? Do any software limited 60s show anything less than 100%? Ours does not yet.
No, a full charge is always 100%. It's just that a 100% charge is a few less miles than when new. Mine is 4% less in 3 1/2 years. I'm very happy with that

I did the upgrade 2 days ago. As a 60 , my car was always 210 . After the upgrade it is 245. Weather not a factor. My personal case looks to me like I probably have degredation, but it was not reflected in the software restriction. If anyone else sees this, il makes the 60 look like an even better deal.

My personal case looks to me like I probably have degredation, but it was not reflected in the software restriction. If anyone else sees this, il makes the 60 look like an even better deal.
I'll report back tomorrow. We're heading out of town in the morning and I'm going to charge it to 100% just before we leave. This will be the first time charging to 100% after upgrading to the 75kw.