Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S60 and s60d max supercharger kw rate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just went on a 4000 mile journey in my new 60d.

Did not find a supercharger that would go pass 95kw. No matter how low the SOC or temperature outside.

I've checked on PlugShare and it seems other people are getting greater than that.

Are the 60's charge speed limited?

I rarely look at kW rate, just mph. Sorry, I can't give an analytical answer. The times I have felt my charge times were excessive, I realized it was a Supercharger fault and not the car. Moving to a different stall solved the issue. It also often takes some time before the charge rate gets to its maximum, so if you start the charge and it is not ramped up, then go to the facilities and come back, you may have missed seeing the peak rate.

I just went on a 4000 mile journey in my new 60d.

Did not find a supercharger that would go pass 95kw. No matter how low the SOC or temperature outside.

I've checked on PlugShare and it seems other people are getting greater than that.

Are the 60's charge speed limited?

There isn't an artificial limit on it, but as another poster said, the lower voltage of the 75 pack inherently leads to a lower maximum rate for a connector current limit, and the smaller pack can't absorb as much power

Big battery cars of the same generation charge 14% faster, and that will probably always be the case - my X75D peaks in the upper 90s as you described under ideal circumstances.

Assuming max voltage for the 75KWh battery is 350V then your max rate you will ever get is 101KW. Though I suspect it is lower. The best current I got at a supercharger ever is 290A in my 90D. Multiply that with the 350V and you have your fastest charge rate for the 75KWh battery.

Sorry but the higher charge rate is only for the 85KWh battery or higher.

I was at a supercharger in my S60 this weekend and peaked out at 307/miles per hr or 267 amps. That is the best I have seen. The best part was at 99% full I was still putting in near 200/ miles per hour charging!

Attachments

• IMG_0862.jpg
    IMG_0862.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 95
Isn't the max Supercharger amps 333A? I've seen more than 300 amps with my Classic P85 many times. So I guess with 350V packs the upper limit would be 116kW?

I think it has to do with the new cells. The 90KWh and the 75KWh batteries uses the newer cells which I suspect has lower max current limits. But allows it to sustain the current longer.

Hence why the old 85KWh can go faster initially but quickly drops compared to the 90KWh which can stay at high charge rate pretty much until 45% before any drops.

Again this is my experience. Hopefully there are other evidence of my experience.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy