TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

S60 and s60d max supercharger kw rate?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by YauKwan, Dec 30, 2016.

1. YauKwan

YauKwan Member

I just went on a 4000 mile journey in my new 60d.

Did not find a supercharger that would go pass 95kw. No matter how low the SOC or temperature outside.

I've checked on PlugShare and it seems other people are getting greater than that.

Are the 60's charge speed limited?

2. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

I rarely look at kW rate, just mph. Sorry, I can't give an analytical answer. The times I have felt my charge times were excessive, I realized it was a Supercharger fault and not the car. Moving to a different stall solved the issue. It also often takes some time before the charge rate gets to its maximum, so if you start the charge and it is not ramped up, then go to the facilities and come back, you may have missed seeing the peak rate.

3. DB 2

DB 2 Member

Yes, they are limited by the voltage of the pack. 60's and 75's have 350V packs. The bigger batteries are 400V. The 350V packs top out around 98-99 kW in my experience. The 400V packs apparently get to 115kW on a regular basis.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  4. energy7

energy7 Member

I also don't look at kW but rather miles. I was at the supercharge in Mountain View, CA. today and got over 200 mi/hr on my 60D. Rolled in with about 120 miles left, fully charged to ~219 in about 30 minutes.

5. ecobon

ecobon Member

When down to around 5% SOC on an older S60, I see the kWh start slow and ramp up to 103 and then quickly taper down to about 80.

6. Ulmo

Ulmo Active Member

~97kW-99kW top best conditions (current 60's that are software limited 75's) at SuperChargers.

At 100 Amp Chademo, ~32kW, & at 125 Amp Chademo, ~42kW; I'll have to do it more to know more exactly.

7. Maximapolak

Maximapolak Member

First time supercharging yesterday. I saw 86kW max.

8. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Better to look at kW, because that's the instantaneous rate. Miles/hr is the average over the charging session.

• Like x 1
  9. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

There isn't an artificial limit on it, but as another poster said, the lower voltage of the 75 pack inherently leads to a lower maximum rate for a connector current limit, and the smaller pack can't absorb as much power

Big battery cars of the same generation charge 14% faster, and that will probably always be the case - my X75D peaks in the upper 90s as you described under ideal circumstances.

10. No2DinosaurFuel

No2DinosaurFuel Active Member

Assuming max voltage for the 75KWh battery is 350V then your max rate you will ever get is 101KW. Though I suspect it is lower. The best current I got at a supercharger ever is 290A in my 90D. Multiply that with the 350V and you have your fastest charge rate for the 75KWh battery.

Sorry but the higher charge rate is only for the 85KWh battery or higher.

11. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Supporting Member

Isn't the max Supercharger amps 333A? I've seen more than 300 amps with my Classic P85 many times. So I guess with 350V packs the upper limit would be 116kW?

12. SailorDave

SailorDave Member

I was at a supercharger in my S60 this weekend and peaked out at 307/miles per hr or 267 amps. That is the best I have seen. The best part was at 99% full I was still putting in near 200/ miles per hour charging!

Attached Files:

13. No2DinosaurFuel

No2DinosaurFuel Active Member

I think it has to do with the new cells. The 90KWh and the 75KWh batteries uses the newer cells which I suspect has lower max current limits. But allows it to sustain the current longer.

Hence why the old 85KWh can go faster initially but quickly drops compared to the 90KWh which can stay at high charge rate pretty much until 45% before any drops.

Again this is my experience. Hopefully there are other evidence of my experience.

• Informative x 1
  14. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

My 60 usually gets 93kw, sometimes 95kw, I think once I saw it hit 99kw for a couple minutes.