Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S60 battery range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i just looked at two MS60’s. One had 32k miles and the other 56k miles at buy here pay here lots. Charged to 95% each showed 170 and 165 miles. What’s up with that? Are those batteries abused ? Does Tesla count them as defective?

my 2013 S60 (74k miles) get 179 @ 90%, and my 2014 (76k miles total, 30k on the current battery) gets 184 @ 90%.

We bought the 2013 as a CPO with 32k miles on it, and at that time its showed 181 @ 90%. I am very happy with how the battery is aging on this one.

The 2014 actually had a main battery replacement a few years back, at the time that tesla replaced it under warranty, it was down to 158 @ 90%, and would not supercharge over 20 kw. The supercharging was the issue that got the replacement.

Hope this helps!

I have a 2014 S60 that gets 165 rated miles at 90% despite years of trying my best to take care of my battery (Fewer than 10 Supercharging sessions, never leaving it for extended periods of time > 90% SOC, daily SOC between 50-85%, etc.). I currently have 29k miles on my car.

At one point my 100% was 154 rated miles (I was charging to 70% daily and maintaining 50-70% SOC) and Tesla said it was completely normal. They disregarded my polite inquiries and requests for additional diagnostics. Others have shared similar experiences. I doubt they'll consider either of those MS60s to be defective.

Can you clarify what you mean by at one point. Did you recover some range? If so how?
Certainly. I had been charging between 50-70% SOC daily for over a year, and my 100% had slowly drifted to 154 rated miles. I inquired with my local SC and NA Service who both said my car was fine. They suggested that I charge to 85-90% SOC daily instead of 70%. I started charging to 85% daily (running between 65-85% SOC daily). My 100% SOC gradually rose to 180 rated miles over several months and has since plateaued. My initial range was 205 rated miles.

• Informative
Reactions: Sorabh and ai4px
Is there a screen somewhere that tells you the SoC? The little battery icon shows mileage, the charger setup page allows me to set the SoC for charging... but how to do I display SOC live when I wnat to know?

Rated miles is one unit for state of charge. If you want to show the state of charge in percent, the option is under settings->units&format->energy&charging. Changing "distance" to "energy" will do it, I think.

• Informative
Reactions: asim120 and ai4px
Certainly. I had been charging between 50-70% SOC daily for over a year, and my 100% had slowly drifted to 154 rated miles. I inquired with my local SC and NA Service who both said my car was fine. They suggested that I charge to 85-90% SOC daily instead of 70%. I started charging to 85% daily (running between 65-85% SOC daily). My 100% SOC gradually rose to 180 rated miles over several months and has since plateaued. My initial range was 205 rated miles.

I had no idea any of this was possible. Thank you. I am not at the stage yet where degradation is an issue but will keep this in mind.

Cheers!

Thanks for the tip about the rated vs ideal miles guys. I flipped it to ideal miles and my wife just drove from Augusta GA to Atlanta GA... 143 miles, and the battery showed 147 fewer miles upon her arrival. I figure those "4" missing miles are the air conditioner running. So my guess-o-meter is right on the money!

i just looked at two MS60’s. One had 32k miles and the other 56k miles at buy here pay here lots. Charged to 95% each showed 170 and 165 miles. What’s up with that? Are those batteries abused ? Does Tesla count them as defective?

There is no gradual degradation warranty on the Model S&X batteries. (The Model 3 does have one but it is at 70% of rated capacity.)

Thanks for the tip about the rated vs ideal miles guys. I flipped it to ideal miles and my wife just drove from Augusta GA to Atlanta GA... 143 miles, and the battery showed 147 fewer miles upon her arrival. I figure those "4" missing miles are the air conditioner running. So my guess-o-meter is right on the money!
You may want to go back to rated miles. No one uses ideal miles. I don’t think that’s even an option on Model 3, it was so infrequently used on S and X. Ideal usually vastly underestimates how many miles you use on a trip, unless you stay at 50 or 55 mph. Rated miles is closer, but will underestimate by 20% or so at 70-75 mph.

I have a 2 year old S60 with 30K miles, I commute ~100 miles a day and level 2 charge the car 90% of the time (supercharge 10%).
Today i supercharged for a longer trip and set the charge to trip and it said charge complete at 195 miles range (started at 30 miles left).
Based on reading posts here and on the web there is a 3-5% loss over the first 50K miles. My car has a 7% loss after only 30k miles.

Im wondering if this is an "undocumented feature" with S60's???

Not an owner yet but looking at a 2013 S60 RWD with >100k miles. I can see from the posts above that I can expect anywhere from 150-180 miles with a ~90% charge. I’m in central Indiana where winters will be below freezing and the roads will often have snow on them. Also, unfortunately, I’ll have to keep the car outside.
Given those conditions, what should I expect for winter range?

Thanks

Not an owner yet but looking at a 2013 S60 RWD with >100k miles. I can see from the posts above that I can expect anywhere from 150-180 miles with a ~90% charge. I’m in central Indiana where winters will be below freezing and the roads will often have snow on them. Also, unfortunately, I’ll have to keep the car outside.
Given those conditions, what should I expect for winter range?

Thanks

Your range in these conditions will vary substantially based on things like if you are able to time your charging such that you leave in the mornings with a warm battery (the "shore-power" preconditioning, I believe, only warms the cabin and not the battery).

Will you be able to level 2 charge overnight? Your worst-case scenario is needing to charge a cold-soaked battery -- you'll need to burn a huge amount of power to get your 1000 pounds of battery enough above freezing (while it is -20 degrees outside and windy) that the charging can start. To survive the "I left the car in the driveway at 30% SOC overnight without plugging it in and now I need to go somewhere" you'll want to have big charging capacity at home or a supercharger station down the street.

Are you going to be doing lots of small trips or get out on the highway and drive 60 miles?

Do you think you'll be able to charge it at your destination / work?

When going through my internal monologue about if *I* should buy a tesla, I internally assumed that I'd see 80% battery degradation and winter capacity loss of 50% on top of the 80% battery wear. With *my* expected commute, I decided that I wanted an 85 or bigger battery and AWD. I have 1 (and now 2) supercharger stations within 5 miles and the new one is actually between my home and my work.

I would probably *not* opt for an S60 in your situation.

Thank you. I would have a NEMA 14-50 (40 or 50 A) to plug in at night and could schedule charging for whatever is best.
My office would only have a 120v outlet and is 38 miles from my house, so 76 miles round trip. I can drive 55 on the beltway on 95% of those miles.
Have you experienced 50% loss in winter? I thought it was in the 25-30 pct range?

If I assume 50% loss in winter, assuming 150 miles at 90 SoC, I would likely not make it home.

Can I upgrade to 75 kW on a 2013 S60?

Thanks!