Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S60 battery range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you. I would have a NEMA 14-50 (40 or 50 A) to plug in at night and could schedule charging for whatever is best.
My office would only have a 120v outlet and is 38 miles from my house, so 76 miles round trip. I can drive 55 on the beltway on 95% of those miles.
Have you experienced 50% loss in winter? I thought it was in the 25-30 pct range?

If I assume 50% loss in winter, assuming 150 miles at 90 SoC, I would likely not make it home.

Can I upgrade to 75 kW on a 2013 S60?

Thanks!

My numbers were extremely crude, likely worst-case approximations. Maybe 80%+50% too pessimistic... Maybe not.

If you're 100% sure you will always plug in overnight, and if you can plug in at the office to keep the battery warm, you'd probably be fine.

If you've got some degree of freedom over your situation, such as having another car or a work situation where you can work from home on terrible days, you're probably fine. If you're expected to be at a specific place at a specific time every single time, I'd worry about being so close to the edge.

Others who have actually done it will probably give you better advice. I just walked you through the decision making process I went through for my getting my tesla. For instance, I have a 10 mile commute over very slow surface streets, I live in boston, and I have to park my car outside, and I can't easily install a high-current L2 charger (I'm using a 240v/20amp circuit at home). I have L2 charging somewhat available at work but there are 40 other EVs so I can't rely on it to keep the battery / car warm. I can also work from home. I was thinking I'd be able to get by with a 70 but was more comfortable with the "big block" instead.

Not an owner yet but looking at a 2013 S60 RWD with >100k miles. I can see from the posts above that I can expect anywhere from 150-180 miles with a ~90% charge. I’m in central Indiana where winters will be below freezing and the roads will often have snow on them. Also, unfortunately, I’ll have to keep the car outside.
Given those conditions, what should I expect for winter range?

Thanks

For a 2013 Model S with over 100k miles, you just need to spend a little bit more for a S85. You will enjoy the car a lot more instead of worry about range.

Not an owner yet but looking at a 2013 S60 RWD with >100k miles. I can see from the posts above that I can expect anywhere from 150-180 miles with a ~90% charge. I’m in central Indiana where winters will be below freezing and the roads will often have snow on them. Also, unfortunately, I’ll have to keep the car outside.
Given those conditions, what should I expect for winter range?

Thanks

A 2013 S60 is not the car for you.

The only way an S60 would work well in the winter if you have any length of commute at all is if there’s L2 charging at work.
I’d probably plug it in to L1 plug (110V) at least in the coldest part of the winter.
ABC...always be charging.

The nice part of the S60 is that they are so affordable. Buy one. Use it for a daily driver. Rent a car for long road trips. Can use Turo to rent a long range Tesla for those rare road trips.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide.