Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S60 -> S75 upgrade price reduction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would really like to do this for the added mileage, although it is certainly not a big increase. My issue is that I am in a 2 year lease, and already 4 months in; meaning I have ~ 20 months to go. That would put the cost at +$350/month in addition to my current lease payment (which by the way is higher than most on this forum for some ODD reason :oops:) if I made the purchase. Sounds steep to me unless cold weather driving range (not applicable in FLorida) or similar drove me towards it. Since I am leasing my car, any money I put into the car is essentially thrown away. They wont bump up my residual just because I've added the battery upgrade/increase (or WOULD they) :confused:.

I am like many of you, if they only charged $3500 or so, that would be a lot more enticing. Also, Tesla should just consider this bonus money since they already have the battery in the car and by me spending say $3500 towards the battery should be seen as free money for doing basically nothing. I guess it all comes down to making those that paid for it up front feel cheated/slighted if others were able to get if for less... If I was Tesla I think I could justify a less $ amount for those of us with limited time with the car since we are short term leasing... :(o_O

Reactions: gabeincal
I won't even begin to act like I know anything technical, but it seems like the car (60D X) is limited 0-20 and let's go a bit more 20-60.

Maybe I'm just feeling something that is not there.

I just feel if they can use software to keep making the P100DL faster... they can do the same for lower trims. Again just non technical theory.
Yes, it looks like 0-10 is software limited. 10-60 feels much faster than 0-60, which doesn't make sense for an EV.

Furthermore, when I go and custom configure a S60 vs S75 36month lease, if I ONLY change from a 60 to a 75 without touching ANY other configuration/option, the cost goes up $110/month. Even at a 36 month lease that comes out to be $3960. I would gladly (maybe not gladly) pay $3960 for the 60 to 75 battery bump, especially if that would maybe bump my end of lease residual a just a bit. Am I missing something?

It would be nice for the people that paid for the FSD option that probably won't be enabled for over a year to get a, "Thanks for having faith in us" present of an unlocked battery. Although I haven't been close to running low, seeing the battery charged over 200 miles would be nice.
So as a reward for paying $3000 for something you may or may not get anytime soon if ever, you would like a free $7000 battery upgrade? That would be nice, but Santa Claus isn't real.

It is 240 miles from my home in California to my home in Nevada. Bumping my S60 to 75 would mean I MIGHT be able to make the trip without stopping in Barstow 4 times a month as I travel back and forth. Still not worth $7K to me though. I am with most of the others here. Perhaps $3K and I would bite.

Unless you have a travel leg you just can't make without the upgrade, it really doesn't make sense to pay anything for part of the battery you shouldn't use unless traveling.
That was the reason I opted for the upgrade. I had a trip and there were some legs I thought would be very close. Turns out I was right. A cold front moved in and with some headwind, I barely made two of the legs *with* the upgrade.

I would at least ask. ESP if you had paid the higher base 60 price.
I paid the lower/$2k cheaper base price. I wonder if the upgrade price reduction is only for those who paid the higher base price or the upgrade price dropped for ALL S60s.

Do they give you new stickers to change the 60 to 75 on the back?
Yes but I've removed the badges from the rear already. I like the cleaner look.

That was the reason I opted for the upgrade. I had a trip and there were some legs I thought would be very close. Turns out I was right. A cold front moved in and with some headwind, I barely made two of the legs *with* the upgrade.

I paid the lower/$2k cheaper base price. I wonder if the upgrade price reduction is only for those who paid the higher base price or the upgrade price dropped for ALL S60s.

Yes but I've removed the badges from the rear already. I like the cleaner look.
Same here. I technically didn't upgrade, but I had custom ordered 60D and switched to 75D inventory. I had the option to rollback to 60D and save 8500, but the 75D had 3k discount which they said would be removed. So I went with 75D. Glad I did. I do a trip regularly and recently with the cold and snowstorm, when I reached the supercharger, I had less than 10% left after starting with 100. With a 60d, I probably would have needed to drive very conservatively to make it.

There are other trips that I do in the summer and when I planned those via trip planners, 60d was not possible due to lack of superchargers. But with 75d I can do them. It's only about 40 miles more, but in my case that's all I need.

I won't even begin to act like I know anything technical, but it seems like the car (60D X) is limited 0-20 and let's go a bit more 20-60.

Maybe I'm just feeling something that is not there.

I just feel if they can use software to keep making the P100DL faster... they can do the same for lower trims. Again just non technical theory.
I drove the company S 85 (rwd) today and it just feels different on acceration than my 60D. My 60D is faster than the old 85 but it actually feels like the 85 is quicker off the line.

Last edited:
Might not be news for everyone but I just logged in to My Tesla and see the upgrade went from $9k to $7k:

View attachment 210294

Interesting. I would've thought they would never touch the price as it would make people who purchased at high price pretty pissed off. Either way, it's still not worthwhile for me to purchase...

Didn't they recently raise the price of the 60 by $2K? So it would make sense to lower the 75 upgrade by $2K.

So as a reward for paying $3000 for something you may or may not get anytime soon if ever, you would like a free $7000 battery upgrade? That would be nice, but Santa Claus isn't real.
Think about it as an alternative to advertising. If they boosted everyone up to the full battery capacity for free they would get headlines for being able to magically create 15kWh of battery capacity with a code change. Sure we would all know it was just enabling a software based option for existing capacity, but imagine possible Buzzfeed headlines. "New super programmer hire Chris Lattner increases range of Tesla after working for a week. Elon the new Bill Gates???"

Didn't they recently raise the price of the 60 by $2K? So it would make sense to lower the 75 upgrade by $2K.
That would make sense except I bought before the $2k raise and I also can upgrade for $7k. I think the decrease is simply an acknowledgement that most people won't pay $9k, which was always pretty outrageous given those of us with 60's passed on paying $6500 at delivery, so why would we consider $9k? $7000 might tempt a few of us who might be second guessing our original decision but $9k is too much of a "penalty."

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS