Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S60 -> S75 upgrade price reduction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was 3k to upgrade me 70D to 75D. Maybe Tesla will send me a check for 500 or so.

*maniacal laughter*
Since the really smart people here have concluded that the 60 and 75 really differ by about 10, not 15, your cost to upgrade is consistent with the $7000 price for the 60 to 75. In fact you arguably got a little better deal. To be fair, Tesla should bill you for another $500 or so.

Lovely... I just paid $9k for the upgrade on Dec 27th.
Welcome to the family.

Thinking about it, how about unlocking all of the software limited 60 owners' batteries who purchased prior to the 2016 Q3 fire sale as an apology or gesture of good faith after the cop-out of their pricing policy promise? We're all expected to fork over $7,000, formerly $9,000 (ohh thanks!) for a feature others got for free on brand new cars because we were chump enough to believe Tesla could be different than all other auto manufacturers that regularly practice this type of discounting?

ow about unlocking all of the software limited 60 owners' batteries who purchased prior to the 2016 Q3 fire sale as an apology
I took delivery on 09/28/16. I was less than thrilled about the inventory S75s costing less than my S60 but ultimately decided to take delivery of the car I ordered. I love my Tesla but I'm looking forward to there being competition from other companies.

I took delivery on 09/28/16. I was less than thrilled about the inventory S75s costing less than my S60 but ultimately decided to take delivery of the car I ordered. I love my Tesla but I'm looking forward to there being competition from other companies.

Right there with you. Took delivery about the same time. I was NOT amused when the fire sales started. I'd like to think Tesla would offer the 60-75 battery upgrade at a much more competitive price than 7K; after all I'm in a 24 month lease and already 4 months in. I'm going to contact someone as high up as I can get (maybe Elon :D ) and hope I can work something out. Otherwise this will sort of bum my full buying experience. Love the car, but I feel like I got taken a bit...:(

Wouldn't the downward price change for the upgrade also be because of depreciation factored in? I.e. The older your car gets, the cheaper the upgrade gets? I don't understand when people get upset when things get cheaper and they missed out on a deal. Seems like Tesla are making these upgrades available when they don't have to. Imagine if you bought a 50ltr tank and could upgrade to a 70ltr tank. Would you be pissed if the cost of these upgrades came down over time but becausd you paid earlier, you paid more? Ludicrous.

It would be nice for the people that paid for the FSD option that probably won't be enabled for over a year to get a, "Thanks for having faith in us" present of an unlocked battery. Although I haven't been close to running low, seeing the battery charged over 200 miles would be nice.
And what should people who bought 75KWh, 90KWh or 100KWh get? Or is it to only reward people who bought a 60?;)

Reactions: mikerathbun
That would make sense except I bought before the $2k raise and I also can upgrade for $7k. I think the decrease is simply an acknowledgement that most people won't pay $9k, which was always pretty outrageous given those of us with 60's passed on paying $6500 at delivery, so why would we consider $9k? $7000 might tempt a few of us who might be second guessing our original decision but $9k is too much of a "penalty."

Actually, it may be much simpler than that:
1, At the end of November last year, the base S60 price went up by $2K. S75 price stayed the same.
2. Pre-delivery price difference between S60 and S75 went down from $8500 to $6500
3. The post delivery upgrade price for most features has historically always been pre-delivery price +$500 (EAP and FSD are the exception - it seems Tesla wanted to add stronger motivation to pre-buy future functionality).
4. Tesla's policy historically has been to always charge current post delivery upgrade price, no matter what the price was when you bought the car. Some people who purchased their cars without the AP1 enabled and wanted to enable it later, were upset because the AP1 price went up at one point. They had to pay the current price, so it would be consistent that if an upgrade price went down instead, same would apply.

So, assuming this is not a temporary anomaly due to inability to track who paid the higher or lower base price, this makes total sense and is consistent with Tesla policy. Now, had they made the $2K increase by unlocking a little more range and calling the car S65, then they could have a 65->75 upgrade and 60->75 upgrade as separate items priced separately. I was actually thinking that is what they were going to do when they pre-announced the base model price increase, but it turned out to be just a straight out price increase for the same product.

Just checked mine and it's at $7,000 as well.

I don't see why it would still be so much considering going from the 75 to 90 was about a $10,000 difference, but you'd get better performance too.
I agree that the value isn't there at $7000, but since they charged $6500 at delivery, it seems to me it will be tough to reduce it further.

I'll bet the owners who upgraded for $9000 will be furious when/if they find out it now costs $7000. I suppose one could view that situation as precedent to drop the $7000 price even further.