Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S70 or S70D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My S70 (Blue, next gen seating, AP) is not yet in production. My thought was I could buy what I consider to be the best car in the world, yet not spend too much money doing so. I feel comfortable with my decision (especially with the new option to later change to 75KW, EXCEPT for the nagging sense that I might be much better off with four wheel drive. I live in Florida (the roads do get quite wet at times), but may visit the kids in New York and Canada some winter. I plan to keep this car for the next decade or so and have a fairly light foot on the accelerator. Any thoughts from those more experienced with and without four wheel drive?

Presuming it doesn't bust your budget, I would spring for the D. Having owned both AWD and RWD (albeit non-Tesla) sporty cars, I prefer AWD, even in non-snowy weather. Perhaps someone who has owned a classic RWD Model S and a new 70/85/90D can chime in on the specific differences.

From an objective standpoint, the D gives you greater range and better performance for around a 6% price increase. Unless you straight up prefer the the driving characteristics of a RWD car, I think that is worth it.

Reactions: newtman
@Science fan - first off, congrats on your purchase. Regardless of battery size or options, you will love the car.

As to answer your questions and statements with my opinions, I add the following:

A. The proper terminology would be AWD - All wheel drive. Today's AWD cars are made for increased efficiency and traction control for both wet and dry roads. I personally would always choose AWD over FWD or RWD for the added traction control and stability. I believe that the specs for Tesla show an increased range with the 'D' versions.

B. I would highly doubt that you will have this car for a decade. Technology is increasing too fast and you really do not want to have one of these super high-tech cars out of warranty.

C. The 70KWh or 75KWh car is a perfect car for driving in S. Florida where you live. It will give you all the performance and range that you need. Unfortunately, it is not the most perfect choice for a family road trip from Florida to New York.

I would be happy to explain in a follow-up private conversation, but if I say too much the 'fan boys' will overtake the conversation with their pom-poms fluffing. I probably have said too much, already.

Feel free to PM me if you would like to chat.

We have a 2013 Tesla S85 rear wheel drive, and it's a well balanced car in terms of handling and road holding, even in our Ontario Canada winters.

That said, I would choose AWD over RWD any day, and especially on rainy days. 300+ HP at the rear wheel makes for lots of yellow squiggly lines on the dash screen demonstrating the traction control has intervened.

In Florida, you will be very happy with a RWD 70. Northern US the AWD is a better choice.

I think a lot of it boils down to personal preference. I have an 85D, and I've driven a lot of P85 and P85+ loaner cars. I love how I can floor the accelerator even in wet weather with almost no need for traction control to kick in. I would get the Dual motor for the extra acceleration and range. However, it sounds like acceleration isn't that important to you. Traction control in a Tesla is excellent....much better than typical cars. I suspect it will be able to handle the occasional drive through snow just fine, but you shouldn't take my word for it. Maybe watch the infamous Bjorn Nyland's review...skip to the 2:00 mark where he addresses driving his RWD Model S in snow and ice:

I went back-and-forth on my thinking but I decided to get RWD when I ordered my S70. AWD didn't really appeal to me on it's own and the the range increase seems too minuscule to justify the additional $5K. (However I am thinking about pulling the trigger on the 75kwh upgrade while my car is still in production. Need to chat with my DS first though.)

You will be fine down in Florida with RWD. I know it can pour down there; the rear isn't going to break loose unless you want it to. Your trips to Canada or New York (during winter especially) are going to involve a lot of stopping and a lot of of planning due to range. Worst case scenario you will need to buy winter tires if you actually have to deal with winter weather (your car will perform better than any AWD car that does not have winter tires).

Hey @Science fan ! Good choice. The occasional advantage of the dual motors for your use case did not really justify it. You will get lots more value out of your color choice (still jealous of that one) and Autopilot!
Based on where I am, I would like the dual motors for the higher level regen on the hills in San Francisco. Remains to be seen if it would make a difference at low city speeds.
And well, one can always have more power and a faster car, right? But am plenty happy with the massive instant torque of this car, even the Slow Base One™. ;-)
July can't come soon enough can it?