Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S70 vs S70D? Air suspension worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless the autopilot is a dealbreaker for you, I would also check the CPOs. There are a ton of 85's and P85s in the high 60s low 70s that have the older tech package, pano roof, leather, etc. There are a number of threads of other people thinking about the same thing. I agree the air and the D isn't worth it in coastal California if you are looking for value.

Unless the autopilot is a dealbreaker for you, I would also check the CPOs. There are a ton of 85's and P85s in the high 60s low 70s that have the older tech package, pano roof, leather, etc. There are a number of threads of other people thinking about the same thing. I agree the air and the D isn't worth it in coastal California if you are looking for value.
I'd be very careful in purchasing a CPO. These are routinely used as loaners, and the one I had last week had a drive unit drone and a right hand mirror that wouldn't move down in reverse.

To be fair, it's entirely possible that Tesla would address and correct these prior to selling, but there have been several reports of CPO buyers being surprised with problems (mostly cosmetic, thank goodness). Make sure the CPO is local to your market, and ideally take it for a test drive before taking delivery.

Is there any other compelling reason to get the AWD version over the RWD? A lot of people seem to prefer the RWD feeling anyway, and without weather concerns it seems like a good way to save $5000.

I too have been pondering 70 vs 70D for a SoCal based car, but I'm looking at TCO difference, which is about half as much instead of purchase price difference.

I put the data into a TCO spreadsheet for 12,000 miles per year (using a $44k Lexus Es300h hybrid as a standard) and an assumed first year depreciation rate of 22% for the MS. Given the higher efficiency of the D version, its electricity costs are about $110 lower (at 11.7 cents per kWh) and its resale value (at the same depreciation rate) in 5 years somewhat higher, so I found about $2700 higher TCO at 5 years for the 70D version, vs the 70. At 8 years, the difference grew to about $3500.

The Lexus ES300h TCO was $12k less at 5 years. Charging from solar panels instead of Edison power (adding cost of solar array to purchase cost) , 70 TCO was almost the same as ES300h.

- - - Updated - - -

The rep in our local Tesla store yesterday indicated that in his recent experience, the real world range of the dual motor versions of the S were getting much closer to their publicised range than the RWD versions.

When the 70D first came out, someone posted EPA test results showing a 244mi range rating "voluntarily reduced to 240mi by manufacturer" That would tend to support the Tesla rep's observation.

Last edited:
FWIW we actually have solar panels on the roof of our house, so even if we go over production we'd only be hitting Tier 1 for charging rates (will also talk to them about the off-peak plans). It sounds like that blunts a lot of the 70D TCO advantage over time?

FWIW we actually have solar panels on the roof of our house, so even if we go over production we'd only be hitting Tier 1 for charging rates (will also talk to them about the off-peak plans). It sounds like that blunts a lot of the 70D TCO advantage over time?

Actually, whether grid power or solar, the TCO difference between 70 and 70D remains about the same, since the 70D leaves more solar production available to offset household consumption.

BTW, you may be able to increase the size of your solar array to offset the extra load consumed by the car. If you have enough extra roof space, You might need a bigger inverters that can combine two strings of panels or if you have micro inverters, the new string just connects up at the emergency disconnect switch box and you install a bigger input breaker.

I would ask if they RWD cars get the auto-close charge port. That is pretty convenient. Otherwise I would go with the RWD 70.

On air suspension I would definitely skip it. We got it and really don't use it. If you can't feel the difference I would not bother. I would have actually preferred the coils for reduced maintenance cost sometime in the future and not spending the money. Unless you need it to clear something in your garage I would really skip it. I dont mean to pester, but really it is not useful at all other than clearing objects.

If you find yourself living in places with a lot of slop, air suspension is useful. I drove down to La Jolla a few weeks ago and had to drive into an underground parking lot. Dang it had scrapped the bottom of my car. Lol!

If you are getting a 70, I say go for D. Some say waste, some say go for it. I say, it is one of those things you can't add in the future so why skimp on it.

Actually, whether grid power or solar, the TCO difference between 70 and 70D remains about the same, since the 70D leaves more solar production available to offset household consumption.

BTW, you may be able to increase the size of your solar array to offset the extra load consumed by the car. If you have enough extra roof space, You might need a bigger inverters that can combine two strings of panels or if you have micro inverters, the new string just connects up at the emergency disconnect switch box and you install a bigger input breaker.

We're actually in pretty good shape for that already - we have a large south-facing roof with plenty of additional space for more panels, and we already had to upgrade our inverter to install the system in the first place, so we won't need a bigger one. So we will probably add panels at some point.

(Interesting that acceleration numbers are the same. That seems highly unlikely real world. Published figures are of course not perfect and subject to some change.) OK - I just checked. The acceleration figures are not the same.

I've seen the EPA numbers and yes Tesla voluntarily downgraded the 70D. Range is also affected (I'm pretty sure) by speed in that the D advantage goes away at higher speed or is at least diminished. What this means is if you travel at 80 mph, the difference in range between a 70D and a 70 may be very little but at 65 it would be greater. Something to consider. I see the 70 is not in the range calculator yet

I agonized over the same options. I too live just outside of the LA area so I think we have similar considerations. In the end I went with the 70 and coils. I'm coming from a long line of BMWs and found the Air to be a bit less on the road feedback side. No need for height adjustment on my driveway, and figured I know how to steer and avoid most potholes so why pay for less handling. As for the D, similar logic - not much rain, no snow, 10 miles of range is no game changer, nor is .3 or .4sec on the 0-60 when really 60-80 is more important to me and pretty much identical on the two.

In the end I went with something similar to what you listed. Obsidian Black, grey leather non-next gen due to shoulder width, pano, autopilot (I'm a techie), and hi fi sound (love music and trade off to XM NFL radio when not in the mood for tunes). Car went into production yesterday. Delivery first week of September.

I'm going to do something similar - talked to my advisor and he said he'll set me up with an 85 to drive so I can compare the RWD to AWD. I'm finding it's a little hard to let go of the idea of AWD because I grew up in New England and have a sort of visceral 'AWD is better!' instinct apparently built into me.

Also have to figure out color. I love black, but it does show dirt a lot easier. I liked the Pearl White when I saw it in the shop, going to try to see it side by side with the regular white and the black to see if I care enough to pay extra money on paint.

I own a S60, which has the air suspension. I have just placed an order for S85 with very few options.
I test drove the D70, without air suspension and after some discussion decided it just was not an option I needed. I did not notice it when I had my S60.
I was going to order the D70, but for $5000 more, decided to move up to the RWD 85 for the extended range. I'm in New York (Long Island) and drove my RWD S60 in the snow without a problem. The car is so heavy and weight balanced that you do not get the same slippery ride that you do with a conventional RWD car. Plus, you do loose the "Frunk" with a D.
I think that the Pano Roof is a definite option that you should take. I love mine and ordered it again.
I did not order the Premium Interior, but did opt for the NexGen Seats. I did this on recommendations I received from the Tesla forum. I'm tall and a 180 lbs., so I believe that I should fit nicely.
And that's it. I'll see what happens when the complete Auto Pilot is available.

Hope this helps. Just ordered mine last Friday.

If you haven't already sat in the NextGen seats I would try to go find them and sit in them to make sure. I like the material, but they really did feel like they needed me to hunch my shoulders to actually sit in them properly, so I found the standard seats much nicer for my build. If they work for you, great.

Thanks for the data point on the RWD!

(Interesting that acceleration numbers are the same. That seems highly unlikely real world. Published figures are of course not perfect and subject to some change.) OK - I just checked. The acceleration figures are not the same.

Right, I stand corrected. I had said earlier they were the same, and I am sorry if I confused anyone by my error.