Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S70D investor implications

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Safe to talk about an upcoming S100D yet? Or still too speculative?

Edit: I suggest stretching some investigative dendrites, if the theory of 70D being partly due to a better battery chemistry, the move from 222 mi expected to 240 mi means a significant step from current battery chemistry. So its not the E generation. It could be the F.

First person who drives a 70D, check the battery. If it is later-than-E, the rumor has merit.

Last edited:
Why? What is it that you loose with dual motors?
Model 3 will have a RWD option, S being more upmarket does not need it.
Also, Model S can't really sell better - they still sell every car they make, 2 month before they actually make it.

I've posted this to other thread:

1. Lower price
2. Only one motor means less maintenance
3. Larger frunk

I think they are still trying to sell more, not less in the future :)

I've posted this to other thread:

1. Lower price
2. Only one motor means less maintenance
3. Larger frunk

I think they are still trying to sell more, not less in the future :)

What maintenance?

With two motors one can go offline and you can drive with the other.

Subaru sells 940k AWD units per year, other than BRZ AWD is all they sell. I don't think Tesla will have a problem selling all the AWD units they can make.

Better highway range, better traction for better safety even in temperate weather, and again peace of mind knowing even if one drivetrain goes offline you still have the other one to keep car functional.

Yes, I see it as a writing on a wall: S85 is about to be axed.
They just need to empty inventory of RWD only parts before they do that.
The next thing to go will be 85kWh battery. If not before then with Model X launch, tesla will replace 85 with 100kWh battery.

Not much sense in introducing a new model with same battery as the model introduced 4 years before it. Not after continuous talk about batteries getting better with time.
Agree with every word you say here. If you asked me a few days ago (pre-70D) I would have been more sceptical in higher kWh options as Elon has repeatedly said they will not do that on tne short term. But the 70D really makes a difference here and the Model X launch looks like the obvious spot for a 100-110kwh pack.

Tesla has been advertising that there is less maintenance because there are less moving parts. Now they are adding moving parts.
Powered liftgate adds more moving parts than another motor infront.
Lower price is something tesla does not need. They are upping the price from the start together with higher and higher production.

Lower price will come with Model E. Model S will need to move to higher praces to make room for it.

What maintenance?

With two motors one can go offline and you can drive with the other.

Subaru sells 940k AWD units per year, other than BRZ AWD is all they sell. I don't think Tesla will have a problem selling all the AWD units they can make.

Better highway range, better traction for better safety even in temperate weather, and again peace of mind knowing even if one drivetrain goes offline you still have the other one to keep car functional.

You're right with regards to maintenance (there is none). However, points 1 and 3 are still valid. And besides, some people just love the RWD because of how it feels when you drive it. It would be a good thing for Tesla to keep selling a RWD version.

However, this will depend on the cost VS benefits balance for them, I think.

There first needs to be a required maintenance. Drive units are zero-maintenance, two times zero is still zero.

Replacing a broken drive unit is not maintenance.
It is true that having two drive-units per car will increase the number of cars that have drive-unit problems.
But at the same time it will decrease the number of cars that were undrivable due to a drive unit malfunction. End user wins.

There first needs to be a required maintenance. Drive units are zero-maintenance, two times zero is still zero.

Replacing a broken drive unit is not maintenance.
It is true that having two drive-units per car will increase the number of cars that have drive-unit problems.
But at the same time it will decrease the number of cars that were undrivable due to a drive unit malfunction. End user wins.

What do they do in Model S annual service if they don't even check the drive units and drivetrains?

Of course replacing a broken drive unit is a lot of €€€ after warranty period and now there is two that can break.

Annual service checkup is not maintenance.
Maintenance is something you need to do for something not to stop working. Replacing filters, oil, coolant, etc is maintenance. Looking at computer logs is checkup.
Drive unit will continue to work one looks at the logs or not.

We are disusing this because some people are clearly full of misconceptions.

The 70D will probably do wonders for the Model S sales in Norway since even with some equipment it is still below 600k NOK which I'm guessing is a limit on how much middle class people spend on cars. Well technically 500k is the limit, but it has 4WD, and longer range and suddenly it's pushed to 600k :)
Still quite a few with lots of kids prefer the RWD due to the frunk. Using the rear seats you need somewhere to put a smallish stroller and certain models just fit in the frunk, while with 4WD you need to use the rear trunk as the frunk is too small. Still some of those families will propably by happy with a lightly used RWD car so I'm guessing the CPO program will work nicely in Norway as well.

Cobos

just published an article on SA about the impact of the 70D - Seeking Alpha PRO Alerts Article - Early Look for Subscribers | Seeking Alpha - I'll publish a summary here once it goes live to the public tomorrow. But the idea is to calculate how many extra cars can Tesla make and deliver based on what % of sales the 70D takes and how much extra money will it make Tesla. It also calculates if Tesla used all those batteries for storage, how much extra money does that mean.