Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S75D inventory purchase or custom order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am considering purchasing an inventory S75D v. ordering my own. The advantage to the inventory car is it is ready (no wait) and a few thousand off the "build price." I am not worried about the extra 1 second 0-60 just announced. I am, however, wondering if I may be losing the possibility of upgrading (or unlocking) a battery upgrade. Has anybody heard that the newly built S75D may have a future upgrade potential because of some hardware modifications whereas the pre-change inventory may not have that potential? Anything else I should be considering on the issue of buying inventory v. ordering? The vin on e inventory model is 1913xx.
Thanks

The only thing I have heard is the new 0-60 second time. If that is not an issue, check out inventory, as there are some good deals up to 6k off for brand new under 50 miles on the car - I will message you some good options. If there is an inventory to your exact specs, even more reason to order. Most inventory models are reduced because of mileage. They are often loaners, store demos, test drive, etc. However some still say 50 miles but are reduced significantly.

Otherwise you could order new. Wait times aren't terrible, expect around 30-60 days. But you can get the newer motor.

Thanks Erik

Hi, @Spainman54. We are now 11 days away from the Model 3 reveal event on the 28th. I'm not sure if you are aware of this but the Model 3 is expected to have a 75 kWh version too. See Elon's tweet here. Based on my calculation and a photo of the touchscreen taken while the Model 3 was charging, the Model 3 75D range is expected to be around 300 mi EPA.

Even if you are not considering the Model 3, you could wait and see what information they will release, especially whether they will confirm the 75 kWh battery and release the range number for the largest battery, AWD, non-performance version.

My guess is, the 75 kWh Model S will either be discontinued or the prices will drop after the Model 3 75D goes into production most probably in January 2018 but if Tesla releases the Model 3 75D range number on the 28th this month, then either option could happen sooner. I expect the Model 3 75D to start at $49,000. The S75D starts at $79,800. I don't think most people will agree that a longer car and more trunk space, plus self-extending door handles is worth $30,800. Both cars have the exact same height. The width is very close too. The main difference is the length.

This is going to sound a little unusual but buying a used Model S to jump ahead of the Model 3 reservation queue could be an idea to consider (details here).

Oh, by the way, it is OK if you disagree with me on S75D discontinuing or prices dropping. A while ago I made a similar comment here about the S60D and the original poster in that topic didn't agree with me either but a few days after I posted that message, the 60 was discontinued. So, just be aware, things could change for the S75D. I don't think it can survive without a discount.

The Model S production line is not as automated as the Model 3 production line. Therefore production costs are higher. I think the S75D price will never drop below Model 3 75D + $20K. So, I'm predicting either ~$11K discount (40% likely) or Tesla will discontinue the S75D (60% likely) within 6 months after Model 3 75D range number is released.

Last edited:
With a new 75D it is not only a software update but a more heavy duty power train...so even if you aren't using the acceleration the newer version power train might be better quality?

Other things to possibly consider...
-if ordering new try to avoid the quarter end-September build. Time your order accordingly
-Glass roof is now std but used to be a $2,000 option so adjust for that if the Inventory model has a body colored roof.
-if I were shopping now I would consider an inventory 90D which have some great deals now
-if ordering inventory consider the transportation fee - sometime those are waived on an individual basis.

So here is the "smoking hot deal".
S75D
Midnight Metallic Silver
Glass roof
Leather seats
Enhanced AP2
PUP
Air suspension
Subzero package
86k before referral discount and tax credit

Is that enough of a discount to bite?

is air suspension something you want? because you cannot get it on the newer ones. something to consider.
what are your list of options you would get if you were to custom order?

also this car spec'd out looks to be around 91-92k

So here is the "smoking hot deal".
S75D
Midnight Metallic Silver
Glass roof
Leather seats
Enhanced AP2
PUP
Air suspension
Subzero package
86k before referral discount and tax credit

Is that enough of a discount to bite?

What's the mileage? New comes out to $88,300 without air suspension (which you can't get unless you order 100D now).

Looking in my database (www.teslainventory.com), there are 5 90D with AP2.0 enhanced, midnight silver, glass roof or sun roof, PUP, SAS, (4 of the 5 have ultra high fidelity sound too). They are 94-95k though. If you have other color options you can get them for as low as 92k. Other options could decrease the price too.

Thanks Erik

90D.JPG

Hi, everybody. In message #3, I predicted Tesla would discontinue or drop the prices of the 75 kWh Model S soon. Judging by the lack of reaction, I guess people were not sure what to make of it. Today, Tesla confirmed they will discontinue the RWD 75 kWh Model S. See details here. I also expect the Model S 75D to be gone by the end of Q2 2018 or its price will drop. Tesla wants to wait and see what the Model S 75D sales will be after they release the Model 3 75D range numbers.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DIL and EValuatED
Hi, everybody. In message #3, I predicted Tesla would discontinue or drop the prices of the 75 kWh Model S soon. Judging by the lack of reaction, I guess people were not sure what to make of it. Today, Tesla confirmed they will discontinue the RWD 75 kWh Model S. See details here. I also expect the Model S 75D to be gone by the end of Q2 2018 or its price will drop. Tesla wants to wait and see what the sales will be after they release the Model 3 75D range numbers.

Leaving the MS100. Unless they slot a model below it (greater than 75, maybe 80 or 85)?

Is air suspension a must have? If it is, that 75D might be the best option for you. The mileage is basically brand new.

Thanks Erik
Hi Eric,

I'm trying to validate if a better deal exists on an inventory car. Currently I have a deposit on a S75 RWD, PUP, pano roof, midnight silver, premium interior with carbon fiber, and sub zero. Price is $77k before fed rebate. Shipping was waived. I'm trying to see if I can find the same car just with dual driver and upgraded stereo for a few $k more. Searching the inventory sites are crazy. Do you see any other good options?

Thanks!
IMG_8550.jpg

I am considering purchasing an inventory S75D v. ordering my own. The advantage to the inventory car is it is ready (no wait) and a few thousand off the "build price." I am not worried about the extra 1 second 0-60 just announced. I am, however, wondering if I may be losing the possibility of upgrading (or unlocking) a battery upgrade. Has anybody heard that the newly built S75D may have a future upgrade potential because of some hardware modifications whereas the pre-change inventory may not have that potential? Anything else I should be considering on the issue of buying inventory v. ordering? The vin on e inventory model is 1913xx.
Thanks

The battery issue is potentially big enough that I personally would buy new at this time if I were in your shoes and could reasonably afford it. Also - the extra snappiness you will enjoy.