TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

S85 One Week and First Road Trip

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Frisco-Dad, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Frisco-Dad

Frisco-Dad Member

TL;DR: I took the plunge and with planning, preparation, and a lot of learning from reading these forums, I was able to get through my first road trip without any real range anxiety. Thanks TMC!

I took delivery of my 2015 S85 on April 1st, and I've already added over 1000 miles on the odometer in about a week of ownership. Most of that was a road trip from Frisco TX to Houston TX, about 530 mile round trip. I've been a lurker here on the TMC forums for 3-4 months before I bought the car. I tried to learn as much as I could before I took delivery of the Model S. Reading the forums went a long way to answering a lot of questions about the features, capabilities and limitations of the Model S. Ultimately, the forums helped me to gain confidence and "hit the road running" so to speak. My previous daily driver is a BMW five series, and the Model S is the first electric vehicle I've owned.

I got my car on a Friday, and on the Saturday morning after delivery, I immediately went on a 200+ mile "joy ride" to test out the range and try out the Denton supercharger which is about 25 miles from where I live. That Saturday morning cruise really helped to confirm my expectations on range and the capability of the features like autopilot, TACC, and supercharging.

I left for my trip to Houston on Monday afternoon and got to my hotel near the IAH airport after stopping at the Corsicana and Huntsville supperchargers. I was able to get 300+ mph of charge at each stop. I only stayed long enough at Corsicana to get me to Huntsville with a 20% buffer. The speed limit on I-45 between Huntsville and Corsicana is 75 mph, and I had TACC set at 84 mph most of the time. The trip meter quickly dropped down to 13% battery remaining to
    reach Huntsville soon after I was steadily going at 84, and it kept dropping until it would alternate between 8 and 9%. I eventually arrived at Huntsville with 8% battery and 21 miles of rated range. The whole time I never had any real range anxiety because I knew I could always slow down my speed to gain more range. At Huntsville, I stopped for dinner at the mexican restaurant which was great because it was still open and filled with customers at 9pm on a Monday night. I set my charge limit to 100% since I had plenty of time during dinner, and just after I asked for the check I got a notification on my Tesla app that charging completed with 266 miles of range. My 90% is 240 and 100% is 266.

I arrived at the hotel with about 150 miles of rated range. I asked the front desk if they had anywher for me to plug in, but they didn't have any. No big deal for me because I had plenty of range for my meetings the next day, and since the Houston supercharger is right near the IAH airport, I was planning to stop there before my meeting. Unfortunately, when I got to the Houston supercharger at about 7am, I was getting just over 100mph of charging speed. At that rate, it is not worth it for me to wait for the charge since I had a meeting to go to, and I didn't want to cut it close with traffic or other delays. For the rest of my day-to-day driving around Houston, with a little planning, I could find charging solutions that fit into my busy schdule. I had meetings in Downtown Houston, Medical Center, Katy, Woodlands, and my Hotel near the IAH airport. I found a Level 2 charger via plugshare in Downtown Houston that was on the EVgo network, and charging was free with paid parking Houston Center Garage | Houston, TX | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare One day between meetings, I stopped at the
    Galleria for lunch and was able to plug into one of the HPWC in the garage near the Tesla store. I also stopped by the Houston supercharger again and was able to charge up later in the week. Living the life of a nomad takes some preparation, but it is definitely doable. The charging stops during lunch and dinner breaks were able to get me through my daily driving schedule for the rest of the week, but some sort of over night charging solution at my hotel would definitely been more convenient.

The drive back to Frisco TX was much the same. I drove 9 mph above the speed limit and didn't have any range anxiety knowing that the Huntsville and Corsicana superchargers were there. I stopped for dinner in Huntsville, and gave myself a 20% buffer to make it home when I left Corsicana. I got home with 18% battery because the speed limit drops down to 70, then 65, just north of Corsicana.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  2. Frisco-Dad

Frisco-Dad Member

Pictures from the road trip.

Corsicana Supercharger
    IMG_4747.JPG

Arrived at Huntsville with 21 miles rated range.
    IMG_4749.JPG

Level 2 charger in Downtown Houston
    IMG_4756.JPG

Charging at the Tesla store in the Houston Galleria
    IMG_4753.JPG

Met a Model X at the Huntsville Super Charger on the return trip.
    IMG_4761.JPG

• Like x 1
  3. Model S M.D.

Model S M.D. Ludicrous Radiologist

Awesome post! Will be making a trip from Houston to Dallas soon (round trip) and planned on stopping at both superchargers too. Great advice on the 20% buffer and hotel destination charging. Enjoy your Model S!

• Like x 1
  4. Eugene Ash

Eugene Ash Member

Thank you for sharing, awesome story : ). Looking forward to my MS, as my old chademo ev required too many stops on roadrtips. Thanks for posting range figures too

5. Galve2000

Galve2000 Member

Great story and congrats on yr beautiful new 85. nice to see that those are still coming off the line once in a while.

I would caution you from charging to 100% too often unless you really need the extra range. Even if the Model S is ready before you are, it is better to set the charge to 90%. sometimes what I do is set it at 90% and then as soon as I get a notification that it is done I might use the smartphone app to charge to 95% or 100% as I walk over to the car. for me the key is to not let it get to a full charge and stay at a full state of charge for too long.

it is unclear from your story if you needed the extra 10% of range for your next day usage. but if in fact u did not, then best practice is to charge to 90% for the longevity of the battery.

if you do need the extra range, then by all means.. charge to 100%

• Informative x 1
  6. Frisco-Dad

Frisco-Dad Member

I was about to hit the road, so the car would be sitting at 100% for less than the time it took for me to eat dinner. This was the first time I charged to 100% and I was curious to what rated miles I got at 100%.

Thanks for the tip. Based on what I read here on TMC, I shouldn't be worried about charging to 100% as long as I don't leave the car sitting at 100% for a long time. So I charge up to 100% and immediately hit the road to enjoy the extra range and once again I put on that Tesla grin. :)

• Like x 1
  7. bswn1

bswn1 Member

Absolutely makes no difference in his use case or yours. Charge to 100% when you need, and don't even think twice about it.