Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S85 Order: Opinion Needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After struggling for a month, I finally decided to order a S85 over a P85D. (I would order a P85 if I could, but it's no longer available).

I have never driven a fast car, and I wanted to get one so bad. But after thinking rationally, I decided to go for S85. S85 is still faster than every car I have driven so far (not counting the P85 test drive), and provided that it's mostly a family car, I think I don't need the extra performance.

Insane mode sounds awesome, but I doubt my wife and my family would enjoy it, and it's probably a show-off thing to friends. I think 0-60 in 3.2 seconds is cool but I won't be using this insane acceleration a lot. The reason I choose S85 over S85D is that in Hong Kong (where I live), there's no snow condition and the benefits of AWD is not that significant (plus, you lose a lot of frunk space which I might find useful).

I do miss some feature such as Next Gen Seat (which i want so badly) and the red brake calipers (but I can paint myself at a small cost), that's why I went to a showroom and tried the seat again. I think it's acceptable.

Enough of background. Now the options.

I have chosen the tech pack, smart suspension, 19" regular rim, MC red, with black nappa leather, pano roof and obeche gloss, still struggling between white alcantara and black alcantara.

However, these options seems overprice and I am not sure if it's worth it:

Premium Interior Package: I actually found the light quite appealing, but the price (even reduced recently) seems to be too high. The fact is that I haven't seen a demo car without the premium interior package so I can't judge if I can live without it. Any thoughts?

Ultra High Fidelity Sound: I do listen to music, but I am not an audiophile, and I have read mixed reviews about this option. Many have said this is over-priced. For those who didn't go for this option, how do you feel about the sound system? Is it really that bad?

Thanks!!

It really bothered my wife and I that the price of the upgraded headliner was the same with pano or without. That is a massive amount of difference in material needed. However, the contrasting look really "jazzes" up the interior in our opinion. We went with the grey leather so we had to pay for the black alcantara. My suggestion is to go with the base headliner since it's white and will give you nice contrast.

Then, take that money and upgrade the sound system! The biggest difference is the lack of a subwoofer with the basic system. If you compare premium sound upgrade prices for other luxury brands you'll see this cost is "reasonable". I highly suggest getting it. I've heard both and there is a noticeable difference in sound quality and I am far from an audiophile.

I have the S85 with many of the options you are looking at and have had my car for 1 year now.

With the Pano roof don't spend the money on the Alcantara liner as you will not see very much of it. Kind of a waste.

I don't have the premium light package and don't see the need for it. Even when I have a loaner I still don't see the appeal.

Next Gen seats would be nice but I really don't mind the current ones.

Sound upgrade: This is a tough one... I don't have it and I am not an audiophile...there is a difference in sound quality and the base and deep sounds are missing from the base version. I am on the fence if I had to do it over again would I order. I don't like the price but would order on the next car.

The car must have the Tech package, no matter how much it costs. The S85 is still very fast and you will still be able to get the tesla grin from all passengers.

I'm in the same boat as you and decided to order a S85 over a P85D.

I decided to wait for better seats. Next Gen seats will be Current Gen seats in all models soon (I'm pretty sure), and you will regret you didn't wait.

Thanks for all the feedback! I think I am going to order alcantara headliner anyway, it just looks more appeal to me. And I will upgrade the sound system too (since I have decided not to go for P85D, that save me quite a lot of money lol)