Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S85, P85, or P85D -- How Fast Is Fast Enough?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correlation...

There was pretty good correlation until 2013, then everything got messed up.
Do we need a below 3.5 sec car for our streets?
We need to correlate responses with the ages of the responders. I am over 65, I am perfectly happy with any speed below 6 sec or even 8 secs, but would like to have more gizmos and gadgets. I am more in tune with better performance, comfort, adaptability as the car ages through innovation in software controls etc(I don't want to keep looking for recent models every year). As I have become an empty nester, I don't need a big 5 seater but would love to have a luxurious, silent, technologically advanced, innovative, evolving, crash resistant, surround vision, car that doesn't cost $2000 to insure and $600 for wiper blade change!

There was pretty good correlation until 2013, then everything got messed up.
Do we need a below 3.5 sec car for our streets?

I'm in my 50s and until there is a car that can instantaneously teleport me to my destination (and probably even after that), I'm going to enjoy having a car that gets from here to there very quickly. The Tesla is almost the perfect performance package for me, because all the acceleration is concentrated on the low end. Ideally, I'd like to see it faster from 40-80 too, but I'm not sure that there exists a number where I'd not enjoy driving a car that was capable of better.

that's what i keep thinking about as well. a two-seater exotic of new NSX-like size/styling. 1,000hp and weighs 3,000lbs. will accelerate 0-60 in the time of most super motorcycles (2.0 seconds).

Why not 15,000 hp and 3000 lbs? 0-300 in 5 sec. There is no reason not to, in a thoroughbred sportscar, where you are not trying to save the batteries for longevity. Model S has VERY low power draw for its battery size, to give it a long life. Compare to the C rates of radio control helicopters for example.

We need to correlate responses with the ages of the responders. I am over 65, I am perfectly happy with any speed below 6 sec or even 8 secs, but would like to have more gizmos and gadgets.

this is a great point. i'd love it if andrewket would add two demographic columns to his P85D spreadsheet - age and sex. i'd wager that 96% are men, and the vast majority between 28-42 years of age.

i.e. yes the P85D is an alpha-male projection of testosterone. :biggrin:

OK, I'll give you a comparison of some cars I used to own:

1979 Porsche 930 Turbo 0-60 mph 4.9 seconds. A frightening, total handful to drive. Sees the P85D's taillights in the distance.

1986 Porsche 944 Turbo. Gorgeous car. 0-60 mph 5.9 seconds Quarter mile 14.4 seconds. Doesn't even see the taillights any more, but remembers being rapidly passed by this quiet car.

2004 Lamborghini Murcielago. 590HP. 0-60 3.7 seconds. !/4 mile 11.6 seconds.

The Lamborghini sees the P85D's tail lights also, though attracts far more attention. And sounds pretty awesome in a losing effort.

All of which is why I ordered a P85D.