Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S85 Post-Purchase Regret?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I test drove the S85 originally, I have driven P85s on several occasions – and honestly, I never even notice the difference if I'm not looking for it. Even the S85 I purchased offers far more acceleration than is appropriate for the vast majority of situations. When trying to get other people excited about Tesla it's easy enough to impress them with the performance of mine, and then I can point out that Tesla actually offers several steps up in performance from there. I haven't regretted saving the extra $$$ in the least.

First, congrats on your purchase. I think you will be very happy with the S85. I too only tested a P85 then bought an S85. If your not comparing it to a P85+, the P85 and S85 are basically the same car (same suspension). My thought on the P85 was it was Very fast. The S85, now that we have had it for 15 months and 14k miles, is still a Very fast car as well. Do I miss not having the extra acceleration? No. The reason is the acceleration was not my main purpose for purchasing the car. I wanted a luxury sedan and I wanted a BEV. The S85 has far out performed in both areas. It really is like driving the future and is still faster than most other sedan's on the road, especially in the 60 to 80 punch when passing.

One benefit of the S85 over the P85 and P85+ is less tire wear, cause with all that extra torque you will use it and wear out the tires quicker.

I think this is where the mental itch is coming from. I love to tell people about the car and I would love to show them the power of the P85, though I am sure they will still be impressed by the S85. I am looking forward to showing people the car and breaking misconceptions. I thought that by now a lot of people would already know, but I am dead wrong. There are still so many who haven't even heard of a Tesla.

This one is easy to me (I'm also getting the straight-85): When they are blasted back in the seat and say "Wow!" and get that particular Tesla smile, you can inform them that this isn't even the fastest one. That's like - your car is so fast, but it can get even better.

I have tried the follow Model S:

Jan 1st, 2013: Regular 85, LHD, Santana Row
April XX, 2014: 60, LHD, Miami Dadeland
May 8th, 2014: P85, LHD, Anchorage, Alaska (private owner)
May 17th, 2014: P85+, RHD, first Hong Kong test drives (first RHD test drives ever, for customers?)

These drives were quite far apart, though the last three only a matter of weeks between, while the first one is more than a year back.

What really struck me is that when I tried the 60 in Miami, I thought "So this is the slowest model S, really?" I couldn't believe that I couldn't tell the difference.

I'm only getting the 85 over the 60 because of

1) challenges of charging in Hong Kong and 2) battery longevity / peace of mind / warranty 3) resale value, possibly better with the 85 than 60, especially if battery is 10% down of initial capacity

I own a Sig P85, but if I were configuring a car for anyone now from a total value standpoint, it would be an S85. P and P+ are absolutely great fun, but at the cost differential (which was much lower way back when) it's not something at the top of my list.

Now, I do have a problem when it comes to the Model X reservation. My wife swears she *needs* the AWD performance model in the Model X. I think it's because she's spoiled in the P85 Model S.

I made sure that I drove the S85 during the Get Amped event that was held all over the country by Tesla. Not so much as to not be ruined by driving the P85 but to be able to drive the most similar configuration to my car that I eventually got. I was blown away at how quick it was and how responsive. To this day I still get the same feeling.

I have had multiple P85 loaners and I will say that I either got a factory freak or I am completely jaded. I just don't feel the strong difference in acceleration that everyone speaks of between the S and P. The P has a really nice pull from a dead stop to 30 mph but after that the difference is just negligible. I can count on one hand how many times I have needed FULL acceleration from a dead stop (and most were at the drag strip).

Anyway, I love the car and it is perfect for what I need it to do and more.

PS - My only regret about not getting the P is that it was only a 9k difference when I ordered and you got the alcantra, wheels, CF trim, and spoiler. Now it is a much bigger jump to get the same options plus the Performance.

I test drove only the P85 (twice) and each time recognized the noisy rolling and raw, stiff feel that come with "sport" suspensions. I have owned used BMWs with and without sport suspensions, and I prefer the standard suspension, as long as it doesn't slip into sloppiness as it does with many US or Japanese luxury cars. It took me a few sets of tires to find some that felt smooth and quiet on a sports suspension. Of course they were very expensive Michelins.

Things I didn't care for included:
* the stiff ride is nice for spirited driving on smooth roads, but there aren't many of those in the urban East Coast.
* typically noticeable rolling noise, increasing with age of tires, owing to stiff sidewalls.
* staggered wheel/tire sizes that should not be rotated, leading to faster wear of the working set.
* wheel vulnerability to potholes and road hazards.
* bushing and joint wear seems faster with a less resilient suspension.
* lowered suspension tends to increase camber, tending to made tire wear uneven.

So I have no regrets, and the acceleration of the S-85 is every bit as grin-inducing as I remember it with the S-85P. I'm not track-oriented enough to make the compromises necessary or to spend money on a continuing basis to support the performance version. For what it is worth, I have had an S-60 as a loaner, and it also was perfectly adequate for my needs even with the power limitation. It may have been an illusion, but it felt a bit lighter in weight, which was not bad at all.

. My friend wants to buy a tesla and wanted to go on a real test drive and yes I'd gotten permission from the SC before hand soo I let them drive it and they were absolutely blown away by the acceleration and the torque. And it was a 60. The S85 is an amazing car! You will have no regrets with it. Even after driving the 60 I realized that I could completely drive that 60 as my second car and when my ICE I have coughs it's last cough that's what I'll get....

The 60 is lighter which is why the performance is close, even with less HP & torque.

Last week my S85 was in for the Star Trek USS Enterprise Deflector Shield refit, and I had the opportunity to drive a P85 loaner. My first test drive in Dec 2013 was a P but to be honest, with being blown away by the actual physical experience after reading so much the past couple of years, I really didn't notice the acceleration difference when I picked up my S85 in January. I did feel the difference last week, so I can confirm there is a difference! :biggrin:

In 2008 I test drove an Infinity M45 (450 cc) and the exact same 350 cc model M35 within days of each other. The M35 had loads of power, the M45 had (for me) unnecessary loads + scads + tons of power, and we bought the M35, to save on gas :)scared:). So at order time after my P85 test drive, I knew the "cheaper" price was more important to me than the 1+ second of 0-60 mph time. Per your comment, it was a little uncomfortable spending $100k+ for a car anyway.

People I give rides to in my S85 -- they can't believe the torque. So don't worry, the S85 is so much more than a gas car anyway they'll still be blown away.

Absolutely no regrets.

I have absolutely no regrets about purchasing my S85- but if I could have afforded the P85 at the time then I would have bought one. I got a P85 loaner in December and while I couldn't tell too much difference on the freeway, if you can find a road where you can accelerate from a dead stop to a decent rate of speed then there is a HUGE difference. But it's probably only worth it if you a) really like that kind of acceleration and b) have some place to safely take advantage of that much power.

My two test drives before purchasing were both in a P85. I ordered an 85. For the fractional difference in 0 to 30 acceleration I could not justify the much higher price. I am totally satisfied with the acceleration of the 85. It is much quicker off the line than my Porsche.

If I had an unlimited bank account I would have ordered the P85 just for fun. But I certainly don't regret not getting it.

The only time I (briefly) regretted not getting the P was during my roll-on drag race with an F10 M5, who walked away from me pretty easily.

For every day driving, the S85 is more than adequate. It's still faster than most things out there, and the instant torque gives you the jump on nearly any other car.

At the time I ordered, the delta was 10K, and I have no doubt that it was not worth it to me. I understand now that it's even more.

Back when I was deciding which to buy, the S85 was a stretch for me, and the P85 a huge stretch, so I went for the S85. There's obviously no rational reason to 'need' a P85, but still, I have that itch. When I've had a P85 as a loaner, it's quicker, but not massively so. The S85 felt a lot quicker than my old car for the first few weeks, but then you get used to it, I assume the same is true of the P85. However, if I could go back and do it all again (including having the same pricing that was available back when I reserved in 2012), I'd probably go for the P85. I love the Performance wheels (though they're hopelessly impractical and lots more to maintain), but I've just installed the T Sportline 19" turbines, so they calm that itch. A bit. I do like the tightness in the P85 suspension compared to the S85, most likely due to the wheels.

Even now, I consider selling mine, and going for the new business lease on a P85, but, I've not researched it at all, probably because I'd end up doing something impulsive, which I don't need, nor can I afford!

I originally felt the S vs P is fundamentally like getting the Mercedes S550 or the Mercedes S63 AMG. However, the interior finishings are much nicer on the AMG then the non-AMG, so it's not quite an equal comparison.

I think it's more like choosing the E350 or the E500. Essentially the same car, just with a different engine.

Since the only real difference between S and P is the horsepower (not the finishings), then my choice went to the S as I'm a fairly laid back driver with occasional performance verifications and it's still faster then most things on the road. I did get all the options as I do like that stuff.

I did have a P85 loaner and the acceleration was just so much you couldn't really put the hammer down without a totally clear/smooth road, which is rare in Minnesota with our potholes and traffic.

I think I made the right choice still.....

-m