Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S85 Supercharging calculator?- turning lemons into flavored water idea

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've tried reading threads and I'm not going to beat the dead horse besides saying my S85 just doesn't supercharge like I used to.

What I think might be a different twist is if there is a way those with nerfed supercharging can calculate reliably the time to charge given their situation.

Example: At 20% SoC I can supercharge at 65kW, at 50% I can supercharge at 40kW. At 70% SoC I can supercharge at 35kW and so on.

Evtripplanner and abetterrouteplanner don't have this nerfed calculation (to my knowledge, prove me wrong!) and the "X-minutes to continue your trip at the supercharger is not accurate by a long shot. Just curious.

Pic just for SCing speed reference.

Attachments

• IMG_7078.JPG
    IMG_7078.JPG
    600.6 KB · Views: 79
We're in the same boat. My charge curve looks more like %SoC+kW = 100->110. Meaning at 10%, the car allows 90kW. At 50%, 55kW and at 80 maybe 30kW.
The time estimates in my experience are to be corrected by adding 33%. So if it announces 30min, it will be 40min.
So when a road trip calculated 2h of charging, it's more like 2h40' or so. But that's just me.

I just went back to look on Teslafi. My 50% SoC speed in 2019 was 68kw. Today at 50% SoC it’s 39kW.

I think at this point I’d rather change speed for mileage.

At 5% SoC my power is great! If only there were superchargers on my route every 75 miles.

Ever since I got a refurbished 90kwh pack my charge curves are a lot better. I'm really happy with these results. Not sure how they stack against other 90kwh packs though.. Attached is an image. Exported from a recent charge from Teslafi.com.

The issue I have with using abetterroutplanner is that I can't make a reliable calculation because I don't think my car classifies as a 85kwh anymore and I don't know what is normal for 90kwh packs. Anyway, I take the estimated charge times as an indication and look at my Tesla MCU to give me a better estimation with a destination planned.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 16.46.37.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 16.46.37.png
    415.9 KB · Views: 37
Does Tesla notify you when SC rate is decreased or does it just happen gradually over time without notice? Mine has never charged past 40% at 150kw and gradually falls to about 38kW at 90%. I rarely supercharge any higher. I used to get up to 185kW at V3 chargers but now it never seems to get above 155kW. Is this Tesla or the car?

Does Tesla notify you when SC rate is decreased or does it just happen gradually over time without notice? Mine has never charged past 40% at 150kw and gradually falls to about 38kW at 90%. I rarely supercharge any higher. I used to get up to 185kW at V3 chargers but now it never seems to get above 155kW. Is this Tesla or the car?
No they’ve never notified me. I have my data from teslafi. I’ll hop on my computer and screen shot some examples.

Keep in mind my 2013 S is nearing 200k miles. In fact the battery was replaced under warranty last year, but I almost wonder if all they did was open my original up and retighten a module pack wire that came loose. Because when I got it back it was the same range and charging speeds.

I know the answer for faster speeds is a new battery. I just wanted to find ways to either make minimum improvements or better plan charging stops.