Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S85 top speed now 140???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some friendly advice: if you are bound and determined to learn the top speed of your pride & joy, do it at a track day. Take video of the drive and your unblemished undershorts and post an epic brag here.

The alternative of doing it on a public roadway will land you an inside-view of a jail cell, as local DC Nationals player Jayson Werth is about to learn. Jayson Werth in court is exactly what youd imagine Jayson Werth in court to be like - The Washington Post

Money quote: asked by the cop what he was doing driving his Porsche 105mph on I-495, Werth said, "Pressing my luck."

Enjoy your car safely.

Paul

first I never said I was going to illegally drive my car anywhere. I have been known to test the car out for top speed under safe conditions. Do I plan to drive down the 5 in Seattle at 140? Nope!! Just don't want a standard 85 to be able to walk away from my "performance" 85. That was my only point to make.

Yeah, driving a car 100+ in and of itself is not a dangerous thing - people do it in Germany all the time. It's the traffic surrounding you that is going < 100 that makes it dangerous. Thus, if you are on a two lane highway with clear visibility and no slow traffic is around you, I see no reason why it isn't safe to test it out. A number of TMCers used to go up to 98 mph back on 5.8 because that was the only way to get the suspension to lower. Under the right circumstances, this is not an unsafe thing to do.

I think most people don't care or know how to interpret HP ratings on cars of any kind, other than to intrinsically associate "more" with "better".
Whether it's brake horsepower at the wheel, HP at the crank, HP of the electric motor, or HP delivery capability of the battery... More is better.
Want more? Costs more! That's easy too.

Top speeds... 140 vs 127 or whatever? These are just numbers for engineers and car magazines to talk about.
Nobody uses them. Sometimes people test them. That's about it.

We all know any Tesla kicks ass most where it matters: everyday, driving around town or highways at legal speeds.
We habitually get to those limits sooner, not doing anything special like "launch sequences" or revving the piss and clutches out of a gas car...
We just press and go.

Like my wife says, "I don't speed. I just like to get to the limit sooner."

Which is useless information to a car buyer, wouldn't you agree? Most people who buy cars want to know the HP output of the vehicle they are buying, not the theoretical rating of the motor.

It might be the correct output of the car, but the bigger battery version can give it through a wider rev range, thereby accelerating faster albeit with the same peak hp of 380

- - - Updated - - -

Here is another thread on this subject:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/38393-Model-S-85-new-gear-reduction-ratio