Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S85 v P85 comparison (extended experience)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Raven, I too, in the end, am glad I didn't get the pano roof...the sun shining through was pretty warm compared to the solid roof. I did enjoy being able to open it at times, so a decent cover might ameliorate the direct sun heat/light issue enough that I'd change my opinion, but add in the issue of noise and I'm happy with my choice.

I am actually incredibly impressed with the Pano roof. In direct sunlight i feel no added heat, which is noticeably different than when sunlight is shining directly on me through the windshield and I get very warm...

Great thread! I still have ONE week left in my 2 weeks to make changes to my order before my order gets confirmed & frozen. I ordered the P85 with Pano roof and 19" wheels, now wondering if I should go with S85 & no Pano. I'm concerned about the "extra noise" in the P85 and worse efficiency, as noted in this thread. Also, the road noise from the Pano?

I can imagine that the efficiency can be identical as long as the P and S are driven identically - perhaps hard to do. But different amounts of noise? Makes me wonder if the P motor is louder or if deliberately less sound proofing (?) in the P is intended to give it a slightly louder, beefier sound. Or maybe all the differences in efficiency and noise are due to the 21" wheels on the P compared to the 19" on the S? Lots of variables.

Any new thoughts before I finalize my order? Thanks!

Last edited:
Great thread! I still have ONE week left in my 2 weeks to make changes to my order before my order gets confirmed & frozen. I ordered the P85 with Pano roof and 19" wheels, now wondering if I should go with S85 & no Pano. I'm concerned about the "extra noise" in the P85 and worse efficiency, as noted in this thread. Also, the road noise from the Pano?

I can imagine that the efficiency can be identical as long as the P and S are driven identically - perhaps hard to do. But different amounts of noise? Makes me wonder if the P motor is louder or if deliberately less sound proofing (?) in the P is intended to give it a slightly louder, beefier sound. Or maybe all the differences in efficiency and noise are due to the 21" wheels on the P compared to the 19" on the S? Lots of variables.

I don't notice any additional noise with the pano roof. There were some squeaking issues previously but they were addressed. No additional road noise.

Touch choices--faced with the same.

For me on Pano I'm leaning towards not getting it. Why, because I never use it in any other vehicle I have, simple. Also, I do not carry passengers, so no need. Again that might all change tomorrow during the driving 'event' (got it right Dave)--no 'test drives' here in Texas as I've been reminded :cool:

S85 or P85 - Tomato, ToeMAto. That's the bigger decision. $8K more...mmmm, don't know. That will be my biggest dilemma for sure. Could add more goodies to regular 85.

Either way, 21" are a must for me (yes, I know about the downsides, but coming from a 911, 19" are not an option) :smile:

For me on Pano I'm leaning towards not getting it. Why, because I never use it in any other vehicle I have, simple. Also, I do not carry passengers, so no need.
Although I rarely *open* the pano, I *enjoy* it every day. It creates a much more open, spacious feeling in the cabin.

If you never have passengers today, wait until you own an MS. Suddenly you'll find that your friends are swinging by your house so that you can drive together to dinner. ;-)

Although I rarely *open* the pano, I *enjoy* it every day. It creates a much more open, spacious feeling in the cabin.

If you never have passengers today, wait until you own an MS. Suddenly you'll find that your friends are swinging by your house so that you can drive together to dinner. ;-)

VERY good points :smile:

Driving today, so let's see what happens (However, I having a feeling I'll probably love the pano).

Either way, 21" are a must for me (yes, I know about the downsides, but coming from a 911, 19" are not an option) :smile:

Two downsides for me -- the shoulder wear on the tires, which I understand might go away soon with some tuning to the suspension; and the fact that in cold weather, 21" tires turn rock-hard and brittle, which is likely not as much of a problem for someone who lives in Texas.

I love the look of the 21" wheels, but the car is 9 months old and has 4 new tires (1 from a cut due to wheel rash, 1 from a pothole in the middle of winter, and 2 from inside shoulder wear).

And, if money were no object, I'd probably buy the performance model just to have that speed/power available and for the upgraded interior,

I am about to confirm my order, but i am having a hard time deciding between the S85 and P85. Thank you for your review. You note that the performance model has "upgraded interior." Is that still true? I see i can order Performance Seats with an S85. I understand that previously you could only get the Performance Seats on the P85, but that appears to no longer be the case. Is there anything else upgraded in the P85 interior over the S85?

Thanks.

I am about to confirm my order, but i am having a hard time deciding between the S85 and P85. Thank you for your review. You note that the performance model has "upgraded interior." Is that still true? I see i can order Performance Seats with an S85. I understand that previously you could only get the Performance Seats on the P85, but that appears to no longer be the case. Is there anything else upgraded in the P85 interior over the S85?

Thanks.
Not sure I can fully answer that. As you pointed out, you can now get the upgraded seats and headliner ala carte. I know that the Go-Pedal is metal in the Performance, but I don't know what else has changed.

I love my pano! Use it all the time here, in the Summer anyway. Even when closed, the views for rear seated occupants is awesome. With my later VIN, I don't (yet) have squeaks or rattles with my car.

Love my std version too. The more you drive it hard, the quicker you go through the tires. Me... I'm very happy with my model S.

In my opinion, anything within +-5% is the same as zero because of the limits of accuracy of the measuring devices (at least the stock measuring devices provided as OE) and the driving environment variations.

I think that is part if it but doesn't sticky summer tires vs low rolling resistance all seasons also play a role?
Sorry let me clarify...

My interpretation of the original statement was that it was expressing that there was one or more things mechanically or electrically different between S85 and P85 making the P85 have a lower range. That surprised me, as I thought the entire difference in range estimates was wheels and tires.