Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S85 vs P85+ ... Is the P+ Worth It at Today's Pricing (Feb 2014)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, everyone. Super helpful.

I'm curious about air suspension, does it affect the ride in any way (vs standard suspension), and if so how?

I went back and forth on this and was initially going to skip air suspension because a mechanic talked about reliability issues with the air suspensions from other car manufacturers. But, long story short is that it may improve ride quality in a minor way vs. stock springs and gas shocks, but not anywhere near as much as switching from 21's to 19's with stock profile and width wheels/tires.

The best way I can describe my impression of air is that it decouples the suspension from the car. There is an immediateness to a coil sprung car. You feel a lot more of what the car is doing. Some people do not want this feel thus you will often find cars like Mercedes with air springs. This is why I have always been a BMW fan as they tend to use springs (along with other techniques to keep you one with the road).

In direct answer to your question, please drive the coil and air cars back to back as it really is a personal preference. Neither is "better" per se, just different.

For what it is worth, my P85+ is now on coils and I am VERY happy with the results.

I'd do 19s and use my money to get lighter weight 2xs with better quality rubber (Pilot Sport 2s, I can never keep PSS and PS2s separated in my mind but the ones Tesla does NOT sell are the better and more affordable tire).
The SuperSports are the newer, better, and cheaper tire. Unfortunately, they're not available in Tesla's stock 19" sizing. There is one size that's somewhat close you could probably get away with, but I forget the exact dimensions off the top of my head.

The PS3s, also new, are supposedly decent and are available in the stock 19" sizing. They're not as good as the PSS, though, and are insanely expensive.

21 inches

i determined that i do not need nor want P+ so i ordered s85 recently. my question for you guys is what do you think of S85 + 21"? (i went with that strictly on vanity...i know). thanks.

We have a Signature S (non-performance) and were concerned about the 21" wheels since we live in VT and find ourselves on dirt roads daily (eg, just to get to my house from work). We decided to gamble on the 21" since they looked better and with the Signature, you were stuck paying the same price whether you went with 21 or 19's. We have not regretted it. We got a set of 19" to put snow tires on and are pleased with the 21" wheels in the summer.