TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

S85 vs. P85 suspension - any difference?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by cab, Aug 28, 2016.

1. cab

cab Member

Is there any difference between the old S85 and P85 air suspensions? I know the P85+ had a number of changes (sways, bushings, dampers, staggered tires, etc.), but I'm not 100% positive the S85 and P85 were the same.

Thanks!

2. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Member

The answer depends on when it was produced. I have a P85 but the service center told me that my set up is exactly the same as a p85+ only I run with 19" wheels. A friend got theirs 3 months earlier than I did and I can feel a complete difference in handling.

3. cab

cab Member

Hmmm, I know the later P85 (and maybe even S85) cars got the same bushings in the subframe as the P85+, but I don't think the dampers and sway bars were updated to the P85+ versions. Indeed, if that were the case there would not have been ANY difference between the P85 and P85+ in the later months except for the staggered rims (which seems hard to believe given the price delta).

4. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Member

Yes but at the very end of the RWD p85 vs p85+ versions the price difference was only $5000. The staggered wheels and tires are $6k but tesla offered a discount between the two because the primacies that they sell on all their cars now used to be an "upgrade" you got with the p85 version.