Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S85 vs P85?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm leaning towards the P85 (99% sure) and I am ready to pull the trigger. I'm coming from a G37 and have a pending speeding ticket which I'm fighting of course. I have gotten a few in my life. Am I setting myself up for more with the P85?

Or should I make a more conservative choice with the S85?

If I'm getting speeding tickets with a G37 (300+hp) shouldn't the S85 be sufficient for my need for speed?

I can't imagine what I'm gonna do with a 400+hp car at my disposal. I'm not an aggressive driver but I don't like being behind cars especially slow cars and I drive mostly highway miles.

Plenty of discussion on this topic already. Bottom line: both are crazy fast and you'd better take it easy if you have a propensity towards speeding tickets. I have an S85 and have to be careful about my speed and acceleration habits.

I'm leaning towards the P85 (99% sure) and I am ready to pull the trigger. I'm coming from a G37 and have a pending speeding ticket which I'm fighting of course. I have gotten a few in my life. Am I setting myself up for more with the P85?

If I'm getting speeding tickets with a G37 (300+hp) shouldn't the S85 be sufficient for my need for speed?

I can't imagine what I'm gonna do with a 400+hp car at my disposal. I'm not an aggressive driver but I don't like being behind cars especially slow cars and I drive mostly highway miles.
Get the P. You will never regret that you did, but may regret it if you didn't(me). Both will get you tickets just as fast, so that is not a factor.

Hard for us to say, since it's a pretty personal opinion you need. I got the P85 because it matched the 0-60 of my current car, while obliterating it at speed. I don't typically drive very fast, though, so I don't have a ton of concern about tickets. Every once in awhile you just want to hit it.

That said, the difference between the S85 and P85 isn't all that great. If you think it would keep you out of trouble to have less power that might be an option, but I don't think you'll regret a P85.

For example, look at this chart (NP = S85, P = P85):
Code:
Speed NP     P    diff.
 0-30 2.3 vs 1.7 (+0.6)
30-40 0.8 vs 0.7 (+0.1)
40-50 0.9 vs 0.7 (+0.2)
50-60 1.0 vs 0.9 (+0.1)
60-70 1.1 vs 1.0 (+0.1)
70-80 1.3 vs 1.3 (+0.0)
80-90 1.5 vs 1.4 (+0.1)
90-100 1.9 vs 1.8 (+0.1) 
45-65 1.9 vs 1.7 (+0.2)

If you like acceleration, get the P85. I also come from a G37, got a P85, never looked back (although I wished the + was available when I ordered).

Odds you will regret not getting it are significantly greater than those of you regretting getting it.

Hope I am making sense!

I agree with what mknox said...but the same could be said if you bought a Leaf, a Civic, or a Yugo. ANY car can be used to drive at excessive speed. The difference between 3.9 seconds, 4.2 seconds, 5.4 seconds, or even 48 seconds to get from 0 to 60 MPH makes no difference if you are driving in a 15 MPH school zone or a 40 MPH city street. You can't blame the car for excessive speed.

I have a Dashcam, Radar and Laser Jammer in all my cars. When I get a Model S it will have Bel Stir Plus installed Radar Detector and LAser Interceptor Laser Jammer. As far as Dash Cam this is currenty the best for price Lukas LK 7900 Dash Cam. Many people think this is all overkill. I can tell you first hand a Laser Jammer/Radar Combo is 100% must have. Laser jammers work perfect and have saved my so many times on my Porsche Panamera Twin Turbo. Even my wife is a believer now that it has saved her.

I also came from a G37, and love my P. You aren't necessarily going to speed more, but you'll have more fun getting up to the speed limit. :)

The biggest problem is the lack of engine noise, and the ease of which the car gets to speed. Makes it seem effortless to go fast. You definitely have to be careful and understand how fast you are truly going even though it is so easy and smooth.

What kind of speeding ticket(s) are you getting? 85 in a school zone? Need more details.

This topic pops up all the time. You can't go wrong with any option because the Model S is awesome no matter how you configure it. But here's my opinion: since you're 99% sure, as long as your finances are ok you have to get the P. You'll be second-guessing yourself if you don't do it.

Full disclosure: I have the S85 and if I had to do it over again I'd probably get the P. Even though the S is stupid fast, I've gotten so used to it I want MORE!

I've had the pleasure of driving an S85, a P85 and a P85+. I'm not sure I can tell the difference between the P85 and P85+, but I can tell with the S85. Having said that, the S85 has impressive acceleration. I am glad I sprang for the P85 (sig 693 so didn't have a choice for P85+). Either way, you will need a radar detector! :smile:

I suggest that you start visiting the track to get the speeding out of your system, and slow down on the highway!

---
I got the standard 85. My fiancee remembers, early on when driving the car, accelerating for some reason on a country road, and looking down at the speedometer and thinking "whoops, how did I get up to 80 mph?". The acceleration is crazy fast regardless of what version of Model S you get, so watch it.

How do you guys roll with radar detectors and jammers, they really legal in the states? In Estonia if you are caught with one in your car (may even be disconnected) the fine is horrendously high. Not sure jammer wouldn't mean losing your license for a year or smth. The police used to drive in unmarked cars on the highway in a steady column and flip on the radar. Who ever breaked was stopped and searched instantly.

My opinion is either get the S or the P+, i think the P alone isn't a great configuration. As someone already stated, the difference in the two cars is negligible except for from a dead start, and almost no one ever uses that dead start perf on a daily basis (passing speed however is different). With that power however, I think the suspension without the + is not great....in fact, I've lobbied to have the + option irrespective of the S or P config. I also wouldn't get air suspension again because without the P there is significantly more body roll vs a coil spring MS...my two cents.

My opinion is either get the S or the P+, i think the P alone isn't a great configuration. As someone already stated, the difference in the two cars is negligible except for from a dead start, and almost no one ever uses that dead start perf on a daily basis (passing speed however is different). With that power however, I think the suspension without the + is not great....in fact, I've lobbied to have the + option irrespective of the S or P config. I also wouldn't get air suspension again because without the P there is significantly more body roll vs a coil spring MS...my two cents.
I respectfully disagree. :) If Tesla offered me $25k to demote my P85 to a S85, I wouldn't even consider it.

Though, if I didn't have a Signature, I might be tempted to pocket that money by demoting, selling, and buying another P85. ;)

I respectfully disagree. :) If Tesla offered me $25k to demote my P85 to a S85, I wouldn't even consider it.

Though, if I didn't have a Signature, I might be tempted to pocket that money by demoting, selling, and buying another P85. ;)

That's why its a free country, but simply getting P and not a P+ isn't worth $25K more than an S IMO...i've driven all 5 configs: S w/air, S w/o air, P w/air, P w/o Air, and P+...just my opinion, as I stated.