Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S85D .153 update - is regen stronger in Sport Mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Barry

Aug 9, 2013
Colorado
Just back from first drive since latest update. Perhaps I'm imagining it, but to me, regen seems stronger in the new Sport Mode than it used to be.
Thoughts?

BTW, Sport Mode is really something. I floored it on an on ramp to a freeway, and next thing I know, the speedometer was at 91. Oops!

I drove with sport mode on all day, did not notice a difference in stopping power. I did notice that the battery regen was being limited to 30kw when the car was around 50F in my garage which is odd. Before this update, when the car was below <50F it would limit regen, but above that it allowed the full 60kw.

Every single update there is someone suggesting that regen changed. It's a plausible change and hard to measure because the question isn't just what the peak regen is but how early you get the regen. I have figured out the correct places to lift off the accelerator and how much to end up coming to a stop at the highway exits I frequent. I've seen no difference in what I need to do.

Was out today for a bit and I still believe in Sport mode, regen slows the car a little quicker when in the 30-50 mph range. Maybe I'm imagining it, as I only had the car for 3 days before the latest update, and still getting used to the different driving dynamics.

Speaking of Sport Mode, has anyone done a careful comparison of sport/non-sport? It's cool that this mode magically appeared with 6.2, but slightly dismaying that there's nothing in the release notes to describe its effect. I'm a bit wary of the placebo effect in subjective "tests".

Speaking of Sport Mode, has anyone done a careful comparison of sport/non-sport? It's cool that this mode magically appeared with 6.2, but slightly dismaying that there's nothing in the release notes to describe its effect. I'm a bit wary of the placebo effect in subjective "tests".

Not official numbers but I can feel if my sport mode is ON or OFF. It's really easy to sport when flooring it from a standstill. Without sport, it's smooth as butter. With sport mode, the car feels like it JUMPS and you feel torque steer.

As for Regen, I also felt something weird about that. My feeling is that on sport mode, pedals input are less smoothed out... So it goes from +20KW to -80kW faster... you feel more deceleration because it's more abrupt. Once the full 80kW of regen is happening, I don't think I can feel a difference between sport and normal.

See this thread for some hard data. It makes a significant change in the car. Upgraded 85D? - Page 7

Someone back calculated the 0-60 based on the graphs and the 0-60 went from ~4.8s to ~4.0s (YMMV, take with grains of salt, etc.).