Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
F4BBED0A-C8D0-472D-A1EE-99F75E8522A6.png
How do they explain the sudden loss of range. Gradual reduction in range is or can be normal but I don't know how they can say a sudden drop-off-the-cliff in range is normal or gradual.

Did they ever respond to your last message shown?
Yes, just now.

Whew, what a relief - battery is ok, after all.
Or at least I guess that’s the desired response.

• Funny
Reactions: Chaserr and Ulmo

Amazing. They are finally telling us a bit about what's happening. Good that they are at least talking to you. Please keep us informed about what else they will add.

On Edit:
Just thinking, since the RM and the capacity are artificially limited, can we now charge to 100% since the new 100% seems to be like the old 90%?

Last edited:
Reactions: Chaserr
Amazing. They are finally telling us a bit about what's happening. Good that they are at least talking to you. Please keep us informed about what else they will add.

On Edit:
Just thinking, since the RM and the capacity are artificially limited, can we now charge to 100% since the new 100% seems to be like the old 90%?
Note the record above, in my attempt to charge from 20% to 100% at a supercharger, it took 1 hr and 51 mins and charging stopped at 97%. The last 3% was at only a few amps.

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr and Ulmo
It's certainly not going to prolong battery life as folks will charge to the top more often (closer to 100%) which is way worse than running near the bottom(note I didn't say AT the bottom which is even worse than 100%). But their change to reserve an extra 1kwh wouldn't make any difference since it would have already shut off long before there was any danger of reversing the polarity of individual cells.

Your observation of the reserve buffer before and after and their confirmation that this was intentional merits it's own thread.

"Tesla intentionally reduces range of 85 packs with software update!!"

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
It's certainly not going to prolong battery life as folks will charge to the top more often (closer to 100%) which is way worse than running near the bottom(note I didn't say AT the bottom which is even worse than 100%). But their change to reserve an extra 1kwh wouldn't make any difference since it would have already shut off long before there was any danger of reversing the polarity of individual cells.

Your observation of the reserve buffer before and after and their confirmation that this was intentional merits it's own thread.

"Tesla intentionally reduces range of 85 packs with software update!!"

If you look at my screen shots from TMspy above the max cell voltages have been reduced by this software. My loss is not 1kWh, but about 10kWh. And an unknown, as yet, power loss. 1 hr and 51 mins to charge from about 20% to 97% on a supercharger, although 100% was requested. I can’t believe more people aren’t outraged by the loss and tesla’s behavior.

If you look at my screen shots from TMspy above the max cell voltages have been reduced by this software. My loss is not 1kWh, but about 10kWh. And an unknown, as yet, power loss. 1 hr and 51 mins to charge from about 20% to 97% on a supercharger, although 100% was requested. I can’t believe more people aren’t outraged by the loss and tesla’s behavior.

And keep in mind this reduction of capacity is not a one time event. It is worse: so far the battery capacity decreases every time I drive. Since May 16 I have loss 9 kWh at an average 2.5 kWh per 1000 miles.

At that rate I'll have a 30% degradation from the new battery capacity (77.5 kWh) in about 5000 more miles or about 52 days at the rate I drive! I don't know when or if it will stop this degradation rate.

Outrageous yes.

Continuously decreasing the actual real capacity to protect the battery does not make sense.

Extrapolating the declining capacity my 100% battery range will be less than 20 miles in 8 months!

• Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo

I totally missed that or got you confused with whomever said scan my tesla showed the reserve buffer increased from 4 to 5 kwh.
You are showing two different values at 90%: 364 and 226. Looks like you are affected, no?

I only see one value displayed in both units. 226 @90% is essentially like a brand new battery.