Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S90D vs S75D differences besides battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Swapped our 2 week old 90D for a brand new 75D loaner and immediately noticed the steering felt looser, in spite of both being set to "sport". Bouncing down country roads, the car just feels looser and less precise, with more body roll in the corners. Both are on 19's at 45 psi. This makes me wonder if the 90, perhaps due to battery weight, includes stiffer springs? Both are 2016 facelift models and the loaner has more recent vin. It also has more road/wind noise, but thinking the driver door is just out of adjustment.

Aside from the battery, are there any other known differences? Or is all of this just evidence of the hit-or-miss quality issues some have been talking about? If so, glad we got lucky!

Does either of them have air suspension or are they both coil?

First of all, this was not meant to offend any 60/75 owners. I too was under the impression they were identical other than battery and badging. I was actually thinking when this 2 year lease is up, if no deals like Q3 2016 exist, I might have to downgrade to keep driving a MS (M3 will be too small). This situation is making me think twice, but I also realize a lot can change in 2 years.

They are both coil. All options identical except UHFS, which I'm pretty sure is not related. ;)

The loaner had only 180 miles on it, so I don't think it's an issue of being "beat up".

This is also not a case of placebo effect. My wife noticed the same thing the first time she drove it. My only other thought is that perhaps the 90D gets part of the P90D suspension upgrades (maybe springs or shocks) for the sake of standardization?

One more thing, our 90D is still on 7.1 while the loaner is on 8.0. I doubt this is it, because I haven't read anything about the "sport" steering mode becoming less sporty, or anything else to indicate this could be software related. However, I was notified of 8.0 available while in the shop so I'll have to drive it once more on 7.1, upgrade, then immediately drive the same route to see if any difference.

Whatever the case, seems nobody on here is aware of any differences. Thanks for the feedback.

Seems to be more evidence of Tesla putting on random suspension components, perhaps whatever is in stock at the time the car rolls through the line. I have an 85D with a very firm unpleasant air suspension. It goes into service next week for a second attempt at diagnosing it.

It can be the tires, or the wheel alignment.
I'm pretty sure the steering mechanism (and basically the whole car except motors) is the same between the 75D and 90D.
This very day I gave my 75D a belt down a 300km winding country road and can assure you the steering is precise.

It can be the tires, or the wheel alignment.
I'm pretty sure the steering mechanism (and basically the whole car except motors) is the same between the 75D and 90D.
This very day I gave my 75D a belt down a 300km winding country road and can assure you the steering is precise.

I believe the front and back motors are identical between the 75D and 90D (P90D/P100D rear motors are more powerful), but 75D is battery software limited for slower 0-60. Less current into motor, less power, compared to 90D. I am unable to find the link that had all those cool info somewhere...
I would like to be pleasantly surprised by Musk sometime when model 3 is released, that all Model S gain 1 second faster 0-60 by removing/reducing the s/w limits :). I can wish! Musk needs to keep the differentiation between MS and M3, and it would be great to not only make new MS owners happy, but also the loyal early adopters :).

I have the same feeling of steering getting looser coincidentally when I switched to winter tires. Now there is much less feedback when I go around curves. If I push the car a bit I don't have that feeling when I am about to "lose" the car anymore, is just feels disconnected.