Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SA Govt EV Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is brilliant news. The government have a lot of cars so electrification of them is going to make a difference, and the network removes all the silly range discussions here.
Cannot imagine the states biggest employer, a petrol station chain, being too thrilled with the lost business whilst the rest of us get to have a bit more fresh air.
There is also the constant threat here of turning off household solar due to too much production. These government cars charging during the day wherever they are located will help reduce that problem as well.

Are the two "existing" sites on that map Chargefox Keith and Murray Bridge? If so, it somewhat implies they're partnering with Chargefox.
I thought the exact same thing! But then I looked closer and the one closer to Adelaide appears to be Tailem Bend (going by the directions of the highways coming out from it). So it's probably closer to a more "generic" representation of coverage.

So to pull from the map.

Existing
Keith
Murray Bridge

Stage 1 (2021-2022)

Mount Gambier
Coonawarra*
Kingston SE
Pinnaroo*
Renmark (possibly the NRMA Berri site)
Nuriootpa (again possibly NRMA Tanunda)
Adelaide
Victor Harbour*
Cape Jervis*
Kangaroo Island*
Minlaton*
Clare
Jamestown*
Port Pirie
Port Augusta
Cowell*
Kimba*
Port Lincoln
Elliston*
Poochera*
Ceduna

Stage 2 (Planning)
Yunta*
Parachilna
Pimba*
Cooper Pedy
Marla*
Yalara*
Border Village*

* My guesses. Not named on the Map.

Reactions: Hairyman
So to pull from the map.

Existing
Keith
Murray Bridge

Stage 1 (2021-2022)

Mount Gambier
Coonawarra*
Kingston SE
Pinnaroo*
Renmark (possibly the NRMA Berri site)
Nuriootpa (again possibly NRMA Tanunda)
Adelaide
Victor Harbour*
Cape Jervis*
Kangaroo Island*
Minlaton*
Clare
Jamestown*
Port Pirie
Port Augusta
Cowell*
Kimba*
Port Lincoln
Elliston*
Poochera*
Ceduna

Stage 2 (Planning)
Yunta*
Parachilna
Pimba*
Cooper Pedy
Marla*
Yalara*
Border Village*

* My guesses. Not named on the Map.
Presumably plus the city network to facilitate the new government fleet, which isnt ahown on the map

Presumably plus the city network to facilitate the new government fleet, which isn't shown on the map

Correct, The map only shows a macro picture of the network.

If you look at the key, it shows a better picture of the extent of the network.

For example, Adelaide Metro is 176 Chargers over 48 sites. In the limestone coast area, the map shows three chargers/sites, but the key says there will 48 chargers over 23 sites.

Reactions: Hairyman
I started doing some maths based on the limited numbers that were available, to get more of an idea:

xX6Hvsa.png

None some numbers are sites, some are chargers, some are destination chargers and some are DC fast chargers.

Given 176 chargers in the Adelaide metro area, and "over 100" destination chargers in the same area, it suggests 76 DC fast chargers in that area? Out of 110 DC fast chargers total? Something is a bit off there. Not enough data to make any estimates yet.

I suppose it's either build large solar / wind farms with megapack type storage at regular intervals along these routes or extend the grid out to these places (both would have the added bonus of replacing the current 24x7 diesel generation).
Future proofing for heavy EV haulage needs to be taken into account, power requirements will be huge when electric semi trailers start to roll.

Reactions: David Sowden
A 50kwh battery will fill half of one long range tesla.

You don't use the battery to fill the car.

You use the battery to start the charging process seamlessly. Then you immediately start mixing in as much of the local power grid as the other grid users can tolerate. Basically you monitor the grid voltage and frequency as you ramp up the grid draw, and be ready to ease up off the grid and perhaps add in more juice from the battery if the grid ever starts to drop below spec.

I'm not thrilled at the thought of modulating the draw from a grid that already runs off a diesel generator that probably already modulates its output. But meh. They'll figure it out.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert. Not even close.