Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SA mentioned mid-cycle refresh for the Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me preface what I’m about to say by declaring that I have no clue what the SAs actually know. Some pull crazy info out of seemingly thin air and others know zilch.

That said… I was picking up my wife’s SR from a service appointment and decided to head in and chat with my SA about my MYP that I have on order. After some idle chit chat, he goes “yeah I’m surprised that you didn’t wait for the refresh of the Y later this year”. I asked him if he was talking about the 4680s and he kind of just shrugged his shoulders.

So now thanks to this dunce, I’m genuinely wondering if I should just put my order on hold and wait this thing out. I’d hate to pickup my MYP in a few weeks and have it be obsoleted instantly. Any thoughts?

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
Let me preface what I’m about to say by declaring that I have no clue what the SAs actually know.

In general, SA's know less than is talked about here on these forums, unless they are a long tenured one (which is rare). Long tenured SAs wouldnt be talking to a "rando customer" about car refreshes because that information would be something that could possibly prevent someone from ordering.

Thus, only a green / uninformed SA would make such a statement.

I wasnt there, but if I had to guess, The SA is probably either talking about something that is already out (Ryzen chipset) or, about the "Standard range, currently Texas only" Model Y, and not paying attention to the fact that someone who ordered a MYP wouldnt care about that.

Let me preface what I’m about to say by declaring that I have no clue what the SAs actually know. Some pull crazy info out of seemingly thin air and others know zilch.

That said… I was picking up my wife’s SR from a service appointment and decided to head in and chat with my SA about my MYP that I have on order. After some idle chit chat, he goes “yeah I’m surprised that you didn’t wait for the refresh of the Y later this year”. I asked him if he was talking about the 4680s and he kind of just shrugged his shoulders.

So now thanks to this dunce, I’m genuinely wondering if I should just put my order on hold and wait this thing out. I’d hate to pickup my MYP in a few weeks and have it be obsoleted instantly. Any thoughts?
If you wait for the best Tesla, you will wait forever. There are *always* some improvements coming down the pike and often they get introduced the mid-cycle. Buying a Tesla you need to recognize that there is a strong chance 1-2 months after your purchase the car will improve, potentially a significant change.

I know a bunch of people who tried timing the release of the 4680 Model Y and wound up with months of frustrating delaying actions and still ended up empty handed.

I bought my car and a week later there were a bunch of improvements. You get over it quickly.

Reactions: ArtK and Suns_PSD

The SA has no idea when updates are happening. None.

Don’t base your pickup decision on anything that was said.

If you wait for the best Tesla, you will wait forever. There are *always* some improvements coming down the pike and often they get introduced the mid-cycle. Buying a Tesla you need to recognize that there is a strong chance 1-2 months after your purchase the car will improve, potentially a significant change.

I know a bunch of people who tried timing the release of the 4680 Model Y and wound up with months of frustrating delaying actions and still ended up empty handed.

I bought my car and a week later there were a bunch of improvements. You get over it quickly.
This. Got my Y and then the new wipers and headlights and 82kw battery pack was added. Just get the car and enjoy it.