Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

State based EV road user charge (Overturned 18/10/23)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
VIC announced 20'000 slots for a one-off $3000 subsidy for new EV purchases made for cars costing less than $70k, at $45k that's a 7% discount, not even the GST back. To mention in the same sentence that they aim for 50% of new vehicles to be electric by 2030 means they're either stupid, or equally bad at math as they are at applying the logic of deduction to environmental protection. About 30'000 new cars are sold in VIC p.a. so that subsidy scheme would pay for about 18 months worth of vehicle sales at a target of 50% market share. If it worked. Which it won't. Because it's friggen peanuts!

There's only one way this ought to be going: All taxes (LCT, GST, Stamp duty, rego) waived on EVs until some high target is reached. Otherwise this is just an anti-Tesla tax, pandering to the beer guzzling morons making up the "pub test" populace who have been fed the myth (by our sorry excuse for a human being PM no less) that all of us expensive Tesla owners are inner city wine sipping fat cats.

An alternative narrative could easily be developed now that we're no longer manufacturing cars in this country. No need to protect an inferior product any longer, is there? Make it attractive, desirable, AND affordable to own an EV.

Last edited:
I only had about 1000 kms in road use tax left in that bottle, so no, not a big sip. But it tasted even better now that we're measuring wine and whisky in "kilometres drank". Makes for brilliant drink driving conflagrations, too!
ha ha well said. I guess since I dont have to put liquid ’fuel’ into the EV.. I can liquid ‘fuel’ my self .. I had the last few drops of 21 Glenfiddich last night.. in anticipation of getting another bottle soon..

Reactions: ZeeDoktor
Sounds like NSW is thinking a bit better: ‘Laughing stock’: Minister’s warning over electric car tax

"Mr Constance said the government needed to consider big incentives for the vehicles, including subsidised car parks with charging stations and allowing them in transit lanes, presently available to buses, taxis and vehicles carrying multiple passengers. Mr Constance also said the state should consider waiving stamp duty for the purchase of electric vehicles."

Sounds like NSW is thinking a bit better: ‘Laughing stock’: Minister’s warning over electric car tax

"Mr Constance said the government needed to consider big incentives for the vehicles, including subsidised car parks with charging stations and allowing them in transit lanes, presently available to buses, taxis and vehicles carrying multiple passengers. Mr Constance also said the state should consider waiving stamp duty for the purchase of electric vehicles."
Better than the useless SA government who announced government vehicles would now be electric. Thats actually fantastic but the exec fleet is being replaced, and they announced this week with fossil fuel cars. Sends a shockingly bad message.

Reactions: ZeeDoktor
Here’s the latest instalment on this issue in NSW:

And here’s a good quote:

Mr Constance said he was frustrated by the apprehension of federal government to adopt climate-friendly policies.

“It drives me nuts the level of energy that’s expended on whether climate change is real or not versus the energy that could have been expended on getting the public policy right,” Mr Constance said. “In the EV market we’ve got clunky uptake and we’ve got clumsiness around incentives. That’s not how to incentivise across the board a national shift in the market around innovation”

Angus Taylor and Matt Canavan won’t be sending Mr. Constance any Christmas cards this year? 🤣🤣

EV Tax has passed Vic Government....I've done 13000km in around 3.5 months... So I'll be up for around $1200 a year extra..

bit of a dumb question, if you travel outside victoria or on i.e. your own property can you put that in your logbook and claim those kms back? as these are not kilometers traveled on victorian roads they shouldnt be earning any money?

Reactions: bradjc
bit of a dumb question, if you travel outside victoria or on i.e. your own property can you put that in your logbook and claim those kms back? as these are not kilometers traveled on victorian roads they shouldnt be earning any money?
**** this incompetent government and it’s stupid policies. I wish we could sue the government for incompetence.