Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

State based EV road user charge (Overturned 18/10/23)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Think it's highly likely that we ultimately end up with some form of a federal road charge.

Petrol/diesel prices will come down, but there will be an additional pollution/environmental levy.

Also means no more rebates for on-farm/site diesel vehicles.

Who pays for building and maintaining roads these days? Is it the states with federal subsidies? Or just federal? Or majority federal?

Perhaps instead of toll tags we'll all be having GPS trackers in our cars that automatically determine where you drove, states will levy the charges and the money gets distributed based on where you drove. Every time you exceed the speed limit it'll beep and email you an invoice.

How about that for a dystopian future!

Funnily the confirmation email says if the fee is less than $10 there is no payment due. I guess that's good for cars not being used.
The email also evidently needs a space added between the field and description (i'm guessing they didn't do some testing as it was rushed).

Also there is the exemption for private land use but i'm guessing it's only for farmers given the documentation needed.

Just paid my Vic Road Usage charge.... I like how the only payment is via credit card and there is a credit card fee.

This kind of practice pisses me off! I can understand, sell a product .. cost price $4 .. for $6 the 12c or so is eating into your margin. When the profit is 100% (eg. a road usage tax, or fines of any sort) then it is just ridiculous. It is pure profit, but "Oh no, we might lose 50c or a $1 of our $350 pure 100% margin profit making 'fines or taxing' venture". Governments and their associated public servants who make these decisions are effed.

Who pays for building and maintaining roads these days?
List of maps of the National Land Transport Network which the Feds would fund.

The Princes Highway from Sale to Wollongong is not included, next time I am negotiating the 90 degree right hand bend onto narrow Brogo River bridge with a semi coming the other way I will remember this.

Everything else would be state / councils (fed money would also go into some of this, especially around election time).

• Informative
Reactions: ZeeDoktor
This kind of practice pisses me off! I can understand, sell a product .. cost price $4 .. for $6 the 12c or so is eating into your margin. When the profit is 100% (eg. a road usage tax, or fines of any sort) then it is just ridiculous. It is pure profit, but "Oh no, we might lose 50c or a $1 of our $350 pure 100% margin profit making 'fines or taxing' venture". Governments and their associated public servants who make these decisions are effed.
Just wondering whether one can refuse to pay unless a surcharge-free payment option is available?

Just received VicRoads rego renewal email - no mention of road user charge, even though I faithfully submitted a pic of the odometer in July last year. Very tempted to pay it now, and let this sleeping dog lie !

Hi,

Your registration is due to expire soon, so it's time to renew it. If you don't pay by the due date your vehicle will be unregistered.​
Registration no.
BFSnnn
Vehicle type
2020 Tesla Sedan
Amount due
$690.90
Due date
16 March 2022

Just received VicRoads rego renewal email - no mention of road user charge, even though I faithfully submitted a pic of the odometer in July last year. Very tempted to pay it now, and let this sleeping dog lie !

Hi,

Your registration is due to expire soon, so it's time to renew it. If you don't pay by the due date your vehicle will be unregistered.​
Registration no.
BFSnnn
Vehicle type
2020 Tesla Sedan
Amount due
$690.90
Due date
16 March 2022
Happens after you pay your registration and the road usage tax is charged/calulated after....worked that way for me on both my 3/X recently....

I am in a similar boat, got my rego but haven't paid it yet. So your saying once its paid then they tax us?

For me it worked that way...paid the rego that had not road usage tax (thoguht yay, they missed me).....but then within 24 hours I was sent the road usage tax request to upload etc. which of course then comes with an amount payable...so separate to rego (for me anyhow)....

The VIC system is dumb. At least in NSW the RUC comes with a quid-pro-quo. Pay or have paid stamp duty on a BEV - no RUC for the original owner, ever. If stamp duty is not paid - pay the RUC instead. So the up-front cost is lowered in exchange for higher annual cost.

It will also encourage faster turnover of BEVs. If you own a BEV for more than about 5 years, unless you don’t drive much, the equation is probably no longer in your favour. As much as I truly despise the consumer culture of always buying new stuff, I can see why getting more second hand BEVs into the market might be good policy.

Also, the RUC won’t come in until 2027, or when 30% of all new passenger vehicles sold in NSW are zero emission, whichever comes first. At the current level of BEV sales in NSW, and the average annual growth rate over the past 5 years (CAGR = 82%), 30% will actually be hit 2 years early in 2025.

What happens if you don't claim the Stamp Duty Rebate in NSW? Do you pay Road Usage Charges when it comes in?

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: The Stamp Duty rebate was a temporary measure only, because the RUC legislation didn’t become law until 1 November due to Covid, but was backdated to 1 September as the originally planned commencement date. So there was a temporary problem that eligible BEVs purchased after 1 Sep but before 1 Nov had stamp duty applied when they were purchased because that was the law at the time. Hence the rebate process.

Since 1 Nov, eligible vehicles do not have the stamp duty applied at all when they are sold, it is never paid.

If someone who bought a car during the backdating period doesn’t apply for the rebate, that’s their problem. They will still pay RUC whenever it begins.

Reactions: cafz