Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SAAB Electric vehicle - NEVS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

T B

President, Tesla Club Sweden
Feb 20, 2012
Sweden
NEVS (National Electric Vehicle Sweden) has just bought most of the SAAB factory and intents to produce electric vehicles based on the SAAB 9-3 model. Production will start in "2013/2014" according to the new owners.

NEVS bought the factory, and production rights of the 9-3 model excluding drivetrain - thus they are pretty focused on making it electric...

It seems like Tesla will get some real competition in a year or two.

NEVS is a consortium with Japanese and Chinese companies with "extensive battery and electric drivetrain knowledge". It is not yet revealed though exactly what companies are involved.

SAAB had a multi-million project SAAB e-Power before its bankruptcy that resulted in one (1) electric SAAB 9-3 prototype car that had a 35.5kWh lithium-ion battery pack, a top speed of 93 miles per hour (150 km/h), and an estimated driving range of 125 mi (201 km). The first model is most probably based on that prototype.

NEVS also bought SAAB's new Phoenix platform that was developed just before the bankruptcy (but not put in production). Their next electric car will probably be based on that platform. The Phoenix platform was developed for both ICE, hybrid and electric drivetrains.

NEVS did not buy the rights for SAAB 9-5 and 9-X, thus Tesla Model X has no immediate competition there yet.

As former owner of SAAB, GM still holds rights to many patents used in SAAB cars. GM won't let these get into Chinese hands. It is clear that Chinese car manufacturers are on a quest of technological know-how.
Probably the exclusion of the conventional drive train is a work around to this.

It seems like GM has already accepted the deal.

By not including the drivetrain the process was much easier. And the next-gen Phoenix platform has no GM parts in it.

NEVS has disclosed some more info about their first car: it will only loosely be based on the SAAB e-Power prototype. That one had batteries from Boston Power and many other parts developed by Swedish company Electroengine. The NEVS car will get its electric drivetrain from an undisclosed japanese company instead.

Some Swedish blogs already speculate about the SAAB's price. If the production car will get the same 35kWh battery capacity as the e-Power prototype had it could end up with about the same price as the Leaf.

Saab_9-3.jpg

Image Credit: Nevs | Saab Cars

There will allegedly be a Saab 9-3 EV in 2014. The image however shows the previous e-Power prototype…

Source:

Here’s Your First Look at the New Saab 9-3 – Electric Version to Launch in 2014 | InsideEVs

Last edited:
They already did. GM cut off their R&D since GM itself was heading for BK. The 9-5 as an example was thirteen years old when Spyker first brought them out of BK. And while all this was going on in 2009 the designated Swedish minister for Enterprise, Maud Olofsson, said publicly that “Volvo och Saab tillverkar fel bilar”, which translates into: Volvo and Saab are making the wrong kind of cars. (!)

Personally, I’m really interested in where all the money that currently keeps Saab afloat is coming from…

Source (in Swedish):

Rädda – för regeringen | Collins krönika | Bil | Aftonbladet

Sounds like they will go the way of Fisker.

I always liked Fisker, nothing I would buy myself but it was a decent performer and good looking. There are about 15 other car brands id rather have seen fail before them.

But to the point, I dont think Nevs will fail any time soon and the reason is that they have a different financial position. They payed 250 million usd for the factory and patents etc. and have another billion usd in cash left. They have credit lines and subsidies from two nation states plus any support from Qingdao city (9 million ppl) and the city of Trollhattan. They could reportedly draw down another ten billion usd if needed. Remember the manufacturing company registered in Sweden is in debt to the virgin island based holding company so they deduct the interest rates(any rate they set) for the Swedish company to never show profit and the virgin island based one pays zero taxes and realizes any profits made.

I am not suggesting they will make good cars but I do wish they make any cars worth buying but their targeted market is China so we will have to see what they come up with.

Saab is restarting production soon after a small test-run with ICE vehicles in late 2013. News here:

NEVS has finished the development of the electric car. There are several ways of fitting the batteries the car but not many ways to do it in order not to compromise the driving experience. One of the key factors for the engineers at Saab has been to maintain or even improve the drivers experience of the car and thus the batteries have been placed in the car in such a manner that it wont affect the passenger space nor deteriorate the driving experience. A lot of focus has thus been placed on the weight and balance of the car.

200 Electric cars will built to be part of a test-fleet in China, some electric cars will also stay in Sweden for further testing. This also means that an increase in the production rate will take place.

Production-line to be rebuilt to accommodate electric cars | SAABSUNITED

Saab brand to make electric comeback | Next Green Car

The new main market seems to be China (makes sense given the new ownership structure for Saab).

PS: I also mentioned in the SAE vs Chademo thread that China is introducing its own DC charging standard ("GB"). It will be interesting to see what kind of DC plug these Saab/NEVS cars will have inside China and for the rest of world.

Saab is restarting production soon after a small test-run with ICE vehicles in late 2013. News here:

Production-line to be rebuilt to accommodate electric cars | SAABSUNITED

Saab brand to make electric comeback | Next Green Car

The new main market seems to be China (makes sense given the new ownership structure for Saab).

PS: I also mentioned in the SAE vs Chademo thread that China is introducing its own DC charging standard ("GB"). It will be interesting to see what kind of DC plug these Saab/NEVS cars will have inside China and for the rest of world.

After some investors dropped out, Saab (now NEVS) is still working on the EV project(s) with new Chinese partners:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-dongfeng-group-nevs-green-cars-idUSKCN0QM0ZR20150817

NEVS to deliver 150,000 EVs to Panda New Energy Ltd. (Update) | SAABSUNITED

4 EV projects planned for 2018+ after/once the re-modeled 9-3 EV is out in 2017:

This “new and improved” electric 9-3 Sedan will be built in Trollhättan and assembled in Tianjin and will hit both the new and current home markets (China and Sweden) in a little more than a year from now. NEVS however is positioning this model more as a pilot (Bergman used the name “Mobility Lab” in this context), to further prove the concept in preparation for the launch of the four brand new and Phoenix platform based models in 2018. The new line-up will consist of a sports and a family SUV, a so-called “fast-back” and a cross-over; all in the compact (C) and midsize (D) segments and all with an electric powertrain.

First NEVS EV in 2017, 4 new models coming 2018 - SaabBlog.net

I will believe when I see it.

Hmm...

Wonder why they're buying from NEVS instead of buying the e6 from BYD. The e6 is available now...

The likely man behind Panda Energy is also a main investor in NEVS.

But with so many false starts (see CF-problems in 2014, another year lost until new investors were found...) it remains to be seen if they can execute on their plans. At least they have a clear strategy:

First NEVS EV in 2017, 4 new models coming 2018 - SaabBlog.net

Launching 4 (!) new EV models by 2018 is more than aggressive imho. I highly doubt they can launch all of them before 2020 even in the best-case scenario.

They tried ... and could not kill SAAB :cool: Love the translation below...

SAAB 9-3 car goes back into production as NEVS’ first all-electric car

They only released the following bullet points:
  • ACAC (Always Clean Air Cabin) – Filter efficiency up to 99%, reducing 500ppm to 25ppm in less than 30 seconds.
  • Always a new feeling
  • Over-the-air software updates
  • Fantastic driving and riding experience – Low center of gravity with smart suspension geometry and tuning. Based on 70 years of engineering excellence.
  • 300 km range
  • Highest speed: 140 km / h
Pictures from the event:

Reactions: mspohr