TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Sacker is useless

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Acho, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Acho

Acho Member

for the past month or so slacker is pretty much useless. When I search for a song and choose the song from search results in the songs list it creates "radio" named with the name of the song but plays anything but that song.

Am I doing something wrong or this is how it is with slacker?

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  2. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Banned

Slacker has a very limited database of songs compared to Apple Music or Spotify, for example.

3. Acho

Acho Member

It shows the song but plays whatever slacker decides

4. Algbc

Algbc Member

.... some times it plays the requested song, but after a while when you request the same song again it will play something different.

5. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

Yeah, Slacker is not good for playing a specific song and it gets my 5 year old really mad. It is hard to explain to him why clicking on the song plays something else. Slacker is kind of good for playing similar songs, but if you want a specific song or album, then it really sucks. I wish Tesla would do an integration with Spotify instead, so much better.

6. Acho

Acho Member

This was behind my post with one year difference - mine is 6 years old

7. Mark Z

Mark Z Active Member

#7 Mark Z, Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    I find Slacker plays two or three numbers from a chosen album per day. Next day, other numbers from the album play. To speed the process to get the desired songs, just tap the fast forward control repeatedly until another random selection from the album appears. After asking for the album (i.e.: "Play La La Land") click the heart icon to save the ("La La Land Radio") station to favorites.

The best part of Slacker is demonstrating it to friends. Let them name their favorite song and artist. Most of the music that plays are their favorites. Next, tap fast forward to see if their song will play, most of the time a dozen or two taps will bring it up. I have discovered wonderful music I have never heard before by using Slacker.

8. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

Slacker is pretty annoying. It chooses what song it thinks we should be listening, rather than the song we are asking it to play. It really gets me mad.

9. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

I don't mind the discovery aspect of it, make that optional and mandatory.

10. GaryREM

GaryREM Member

I'm confused.

I just said "play gravel" in my Tesla.

A list came.
    Touched "Songs" tab.
    Saw "Gravel" by Ani Difranco under streaming.
    Touched the listing and the song played.

Tried half a dozen more songs and always got the song. Either voice command or typing in initial search always worked.

11. Cricket88

Cricket88 Member

if you pay for a slacker premium account, then it will function like the way you want it to via direct song search.

As included with your Tesla purchase, Slacker radio works as intended as a "radio" where it will sometimes play the actual song you search for, but rather create a station with similar genre songs, etc.

As of now, it very much works just like Pandora (free) vs Pandora One (paid)

• Informative x 1
  12. Acho

Acho Member

Few weeks ago it was playing first the song i searched for. Now it plays a surprise song.

13. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Banned

As originally rolled out by Tesla and demonstrated by Elon Musk, Slacker is supposed to be able to play the actual song that you request. If it plays something similar instead, that means Slacker does not have the rights for that song, or you have recently played the same song and cannot do it again within a certain time frame.

14. Silverstreak

Silverstreak Member

no personalized playlists on Slacker. That is a deal breaker. Go Spotify!