Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sad news for Canadian waiting to order M3 AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just of the phone with Tesla trying to find out when I would be able to order a M3 AWD. I felt that my # should be fairly near the top as I stood in line at the Tesla shop on Lawrence on the first day the orders where to be taken, and only had about 50 people in front of me. Felt that I should be able to order now. No such luck. Here is a Coles Notes of the conversation:

No one in Canada is being allowed to order a M3 AWD version yet. It is open only to US, and they have no idea when they will open. Hopefully it won't be the 3 month delay that happened for the RWD version.

Doesn't matter if you are a Tesla employee or current Tesla owner.

The position on the list is your order time (adjusted local). That means that someone on the west coast that ordered at 10:15 PST will be in front of someone from the east coast that ordered at 10:16 EST even though the actual order went in 2hrs and 59 min ahead. I guess that is only fair.

Very worried that with all the US orders going in ahead of mine I will miss the EV rebate in Ontario that I can only guess will be changed/cancelled sometime after the Ontario election results.

• Informative
Reactions: mahagala
Very worried that with all the US orders going in ahead of mine I will miss the EV rebate in Ontario that I can only guess will be changed/cancelled sometime after the Ontario election results.
spend your $70,000 on a used Model S instead and don't look back.

p.s. Doug Ford has said he wants to keep the rebate in place in some form...and the latest polls show the NDP racing up the charts, so if they win , you will probably get a free model 3 when they raise my tax rate from 54% to 75%.

+1 BP. Even worse, I doubt we'll see any cars til 2019, since the EV picture in the states necessitates that they maximize total number of orders there before hitting 200k in sales. Only if they can't sell that many of currently available models will they look to satisfy Canadian demand for the top priced options. It could happen quickly since I didn't think we'd be able to get our cars as fast as we have.

The oppurtunity we got was more to do with the US Tax Rebate. So they diverted the production here. US will get preference with AWD. Not sure how long before they decide to sell AWD here. They definitely want to sell the high priced cars this year. Sometime during the year they will run out of US AWD orders and then they will change they atttention to Canada

Yeah, this is exactly why most of us ordered now. We would have rather settled for RWD with the $14k rebate vs AWD and potentially no rebate. Also consider that even when the AWD invites start going out to Canada, we have to wait for the EVHIP approval process to start all over again. And with the experience we all witnessed for the RWD approval, it was a very slow process.

Not sure how long before they decide to sell AWD here

Well, the configurator does say mid 2018...

Even worse, I doubt we'll see any cars til 2019

Although I do see your point, there are very few of us in Canada ordering, relative to the USA. They fulfilled a lot of Canadian orders in the first wave, so the handful of cars they have to send north in 2018 won't really impact anything.

Reactions: sitter_k
I don’t necessarily agree with this post.
I just did a test drive at the Oakville Ontario dealer. First off the lot was full of about 30+ Model 3’s. They explained to me that they’re receiving so many in fact that they’re moving deliveries to a large convention center near Toronto Airport. The gentleman at the dealership mentioned that Tesla was at nearly 4000 production units per week and as a result they’ve lowered the wait times for any new customer from 12-18 months for AWD to 6-9 months.

Aside from pissing off customers, what incentive would Tesla have in lowering the advertised wait time when they could have just kept it at 12-18 months and continued to maintain the usual influx of orders.

Lastly, the figures I’ve seen indicate around 80% of Canadian orders are AWD models. Conversely, in the US it’s much much lower. That seems like a huge chunk of money for Tesla to simply put on the back burner for another year. Prioritizing Canadian M3 orders seems like a speedy and foolproof way to boost their cash flow.

As per the government incentive. I’m sure many orders depend on that $14,000. I know mine does. One would assume Tesla would know this and want to do something to get as many Canadian orders realized before it disappears and takes what I would imagine would be thousands of orders with it.

Reactions: sitter_k and 5JMJ
Also, here are a few photos from the Oakville dealer. After seeing all of the colours in person - Red and white are by far the nicest! (IMO)

Attachments

• 2217771A-48B5-474F-A530-8CAD5CAD53D4.jpeg
    2217771A-48B5-474F-A530-8CAD5CAD53D4.jpeg
    383.4 KB · Views: 131
  • DA87FB4D-5F80-4F14-A731-2365FCD9D8A8.jpeg
    DA87FB4D-5F80-4F14-A731-2365FCD9D8A8.jpeg
    345.8 KB · Views: 96
  • F4EE1AFA-3314-42AA-AE08-0808354AC7CF.jpeg
    F4EE1AFA-3314-42AA-AE08-0808354AC7CF.jpeg
    583.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 2E67D291-1FC0-4B14-8CE8-CF47C3C9C127.jpeg
    2E67D291-1FC0-4B14-8CE8-CF47C3C9C127.jpeg
    514 KB · Views: 92
  • F2778F7F-CB56-4AEB-91EE-868DED349EAF.jpeg
    F2778F7F-CB56-4AEB-91EE-868DED349EAF.jpeg
    538.9 KB · Views: 112
  • D0B228DD-C6E4-4FD2-85FD-70DE5DE5C52A.jpeg
    D0B228DD-C6E4-4FD2-85FD-70DE5DE5C52A.jpeg
    526.7 KB · Views: 106
  • CA5460F7-41E2-4400-A86F-CA2000EE8881.jpeg
    CA5460F7-41E2-4400-A86F-CA2000EE8881.jpeg
    578.4 KB · Views: 100
  • Informative
Reactions: Lon12
I don’t necessarily agree with this post.
I just did a test drive at the Oakville Ontario dealer. First off the lot was full of about 30+ Model 3’s. They explained to me that they’re receiving so many in fact that they’re moving deliveries to a large convention center near Toronto Airport. The gentleman at the dealership mentioned that Tesla was at nearly 4000 production units per week and as a result they’ve lowered the wait times for any new customer from 12-18 months for AWD to 6-9 months.

Aside from pissing off customers, what incentive would Tesla have in lowering the advertised wait time when they could have just kept it at 12-18 months and continued to maintain the usual influx of orders.

Lastly, the figures I’ve seen indicate around 80% of Canadian orders are AWD models. Conversely, in the US it’s much much lower. That seems like a huge chunk of money for Tesla to simply put on the back burner for another year. Prioritizing Canadian M3 orders seems like a speedy and foolproof way to boost their cash flow.

As per the government incentive. I’m sure many orders depend on that $14,000. I know mine does. One would assume Tesla would know this and want to do something to get as many Canadian orders realized before it disappears and takes what I would imagine would be thousands of orders with it.

I don't think you are giving the importance of the $7500 credit / 200,000 models sold in the US enough credit/importance. Diverting cars to Canada was a absolutely crucial step for this tax credit. This is the ONLY reason why us Canadians have seen any cars at all, and once it resets, you can absolutely forget about any cars heading in this direction in the near future as the absolute focus will be to move as many model 3's in the US as possible as the logistics are cheaper, and US deliveries satisfy investors. Most investors report on US deliveries and completely ignore the Canadian market in their numbers. The push to Ontario tied to the Rebate here in Ontario potentially coming to a close, this is why there have been few cars heading to BC, a province that has a strong EV backing, strong orders, and most importantly, a heck of a lot closer to Fremont.

Please remember that all across the globe wherever a model 3 was available, everyone got the same 18month wait time at the time of their $1000 deposit. The people that are in EU and other markets aren't even thought about at this point for deliveries, and most likely be closer to 3 years wait by the time it rolls around to them.

I think production coming to Ontario/Canada was more to do with the US tax credit than the Ontario rebate. I hope Tesla realizes the larger margins and increased volume with prioritizing Canadian orders! But I'd love everything in your post to be true as I'm also a AWD hold out! Till June 7 anyways, then I'll see again.

The only reason Canadians are getting cars right now is to delay the delivery of the 200,000th vehicle in the US until the beginning of the next quarter.

Once Tesla reaches their 200,000th US delivery, which is expected to take place in early July, I expect Canadian deliveries to drop to almost nothing for at least 6 months, maybe 12.

Think of it this way, for every car Tesla delivers to Canada during the 6 months after the 200,000th vehicle, an American will lose out on a $7,500 rebate. In the following 6 that loss would be less, $3750, but still significant.

That's one hell of an incentive to not deliver to Canadians.

The only reason Canadians are getting cars right now is to delay the delivery of the 200,000th vehicle in the US until the beginning of the next quarter.

Once Tesla reaches their 200,000th US delivery, which is expected to take place in early July, I expect Canadian deliveries to drop to almost nothing for at least 6 months, maybe 12.

Think of it this way, for every car Tesla delivers to Canada during the 6 months after the 200,000th vehicle, an American will lose out on a $7,500 rebate. In the following 6 that loss would be less, $3750, but still significant.

Not to mention from a geographic distance it costs less to deliver cars in the US than Canada for the most part. I fully agree with you. We won't be seeing many, if any cars coming up here until they burn through the US list. Likely very late 2018 or 2019.

Don't forget Ontario also could have a clock ticking on it's bigger rebate. Ontarios rebate isn't phased out, and the psychological effect of losing out on a 14k rebate could be a negative motivator in buying a car at the full price. Also how much extra profit is AWD vs. RWD which is what mostly in the queue in Ontario/Canada.
Not sure if Tesla has considered of any of that.

Don't forget Ontario also could have a clock ticking on it's bigger rebate. Ontarios rebate isn't phased out, and the psychological effect of losing out on a 14k rebate could be a negative motivator in buying a car at the full price. Also how much extra profit is AWD vs. RWD which is what mostly in the queue in Ontario/Canada.
Not sure if Tesla has considered of any of that.
I'm sure they considered it and don't really care. The people that can afford a $70+k car are going to buy it either way. You are over inflating the importance of the Ontario market on the global scale. We are a small fish.

Think bigger like China. Tesla is building a second car factory there to keep up with demand. So they lose a few hundred sales in Ontario from people that could barely afford the car and depended on a rebate to get it. Not significant long term. Those people will convert to SR sales if they truly love Tesla.