Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Appears Model 3 may not offer heated rear seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sadly, the presskit uses wording that has mislead many of us into thinking our beloved M3's would come with heated rear seats with the $5K PUP upgrade. Unfortunately, it appears that it was just poor wording on Tesla's part and that the M3 does NOT have heated rear seats.

T-SportLine confirmed the absence of heaters in this thread, and since they've re-upholstered their M3, I tend to believe them:
Vendor - World's First Customized Model 3: Project 3X Walkthrough

Telsa's misleading wording form website/ press kit:
"Premium heated seating and cabin materials throughout, including open pore wood décor and two rear USBs"

Not so fast:)
Based on the delivery paperwork a new owner received it does appear there may be heated seats after all.
At 57 seconds check out the page on the left. A little hard to read but you can definitely make out the following-

"What Cold Weather Features does the Model 3 have" and the answer "the launch configuration of the Model 3 includes front and rear heated seats"

So maybe we're just waiting for a software enhancement!

Some other interesting information although a little tedious to watch.

• Informative
Reactions: Shygar
Whatever the truth ends up being, I think we can all agree that the lack of transparency from Tesla on this (and a million other things) is exasperating.

For **** sake, the first "production" cars were delivered months ago and here we are relying on some random company re-upholstering seats, and another random Youtube video of delivery paperwork to try to discern the answer to the simplest of questions: "Rear heated seats: Yes or No". WTF??? How is this any way to run a company?

A company that respects its customers wouldn't keep them in the dark about so many things, especially when they are as simple as which seats are heated, and when there is no conceivable rationale that I can imagine for not simply making this information public.

Based on the delivery paperwork a new owner received it does appear there may be heated seats after all.
At 57 seconds check out the page on the left. A little hard to read but you can definitely make out the following-

"What Cold Weather Features does the Model 3 have" and the answer "the launch configuration of the Model 3 includes front and rear heated seats"

Some screengrabs of relevant parts of this video:

0:59 (Heated rear seats: Yes. Heated steering wheel and windshield wipers: No.)
upload_2017-12-13_0-40-30.png

1:47 (Heated rear seats: Yes, again.)
upload_2017-12-13_0-43-45.png

1:55 (Heated steering wheel: No, again.)
upload_2017-12-13_0-45-26.png

That video makes me want to take away his camera, it's so bad.

Buuuuut still some interesting info including confirmation that there's 0 supercharging credit with the 3.

I’ve never used the heated rear seats.

Says someone from Texas. I don't think they're aimed at you. But move north and have kids in the back -- which accounts for lot of potential 3 owners and you would probably be like me -- I use mine a lot -- my kids are always cold when I'm warm, and heating their seats saves a lot of energy compared to increasing cabin heat, esp. in the winter on long trips.

Even our Leaf has rear heated seats. If they are not on the 3 now, I can't see them making the AWD without heated rear seats (and steering wheel) as the deliveries move north and definitely by the time we get them in Canada late next year.

Reactions: iZi.Lego and 03DSG
Clearly T-Sportline had to take the rear seats apart to recover them, so not sure how they didn't notice heating elements.
Possibly because they were not there?
I agree that the latest paperwork videos PLUS Tesla's wording certainly implies that they should have been there! But, with it missing from the GUI still and T-Sportlines opinion, it is still in the air for me... But, I am still hoping my $60K car has heated rear seats....