Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sadly the WORST new car buying experience...and I love Teslas.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jammer, if you do get the loan car and it includes free supercharging then I’d spend the next few weeks driving here there and everywhere. You won’t have to worry about racking up the miles or about battery degradation by using super chargers all the time.

I dunno, could be worse.
My mate went to pick up his model 3 performance on Friday, hand over was rushed and unprofessional, they told him if he didn't mention any issues now they wouldn't get fixed. So he called out some of the obvious ones, like -
Drivers door misaligned, belly pan not fixed in correctly and hanging down, rear windows not working, bonnet dented. they told him they'd noted them and to drive off and they'd get fixed later. So he drove home and got a contact tesla service message pop up before the screen went blank.
Called support and a hard reset got the screen back on for it to just do the exact same issue. So they said they'll have to fix it ... earliest slot in over a months time.

When I hear experiences like that, I begin to wonder if ordering a Model 3 was not one of my better decisions.

Last edited:
...it occured to me that the UI would stay the same for the life of the car. It would never be updated in any meaningful way, all of the issues that existed would be there for as long as I owned it. Maybe BMW would iterate on it, but I wouldn't see that in my car - I'd have to buy a new i3 that came with it. The old school of car building is very much that you get what you get when you buy it, and that's it - warts and all.

John DeLorean left GM to start his own car company in part because he believed automotive manufacturing to be unethical in terms of "model years". Any defects found, or improvements devised, were held back until the next year. This helped create demand for the newer "improved" models, but that meant continuing to build cars with known defects. On the DMC-12 manufacturing line, parts and processes were changed continuously. (The published DMC wiring diagram is considered to be a "suggestion" lol.)

Of course, there are practical reasons to do this: when you order a new knuter valve for your '83 Toyota Crapola, it needs to match. Making changes mid-year complicates the supply chain and ambiguates the service manual. However, in the 21st century, the service manual can be electronically distributed and updated on-the-fly, supply chains are streamlined, and technical data is instantly available. Tesla can look up your VIN and tell you exactly how it was built, and they don't seem to be shy about making mid-year changes.

With automotive functionality increasingly residing in software, the practice of holding back improvements seems even more unethical than ever. Since Tesla regularly delivers automatic OTA updates, it makes me wonder why we even refer to "model years" at all anymore.

Since Tesla regularly delivers automatic OTA updates, it makes me wonder why we even refer to "model years" at all anymore.

I don't think Tesla thinks in terms of model years but, as you say, it's clear that "we" still do ... we shouldn't but people do ... and the pre-existing culture and systems tend to reinforce that channelled thinking.

Loan car collected....took at least 2 minutes (drive there and back excepted). The staff at Tesla are genuinely all so good...there is obviously just something in the Tesla system that wraps them in knots.

And while there an update on our car, they have been doing everything to get hold of it, they now hope it might be in the next 7 days, but don’t want to promise, and they will drive down and swap cars over if that’s what we want.

As a result we have decided to let everything lie for now, until we know exactly what the outcome is.

As for the loan car a 69 reg M3 SR+ with 1,500 on the clock, so really can’t complain...and the wife is at least happy now she has a car, and it is free miles....

Loan car collected....took at least 2 minutes (drive there and back excepted). The staff at Tesla are genuinely all so good...there is obviously just something in the Tesla system that wraps them in knots.

And while there an update on our car, they have been doing everything to get hold of it, they now hope it might be in the next 7 days, but don’t want to promise, and they will drive down and swap cars over if that’s what we want.

As a result we have decided to let everything lie for now, until we know exactly what the outcome is.

As for the loan car a 69 reg M3 SR+ with 1,500 on the clock, so really can’t complain...and the wife is at least happy now she has a car, and it is free miles....

So pleased that your sorry tale has a compromise/resolution which you find acceptable. My initial thoughts were that I may have struggled to be as understanding as you, that said I do love my Model 3 and get a warm fuzzy feeling every time I drive it, so well done for hanging in there! Do let us know how it pans out....

So pleased that your sorry tale has a compromise/resolution which you find acceptable. My initial thoughts were that I may have struggled to be as understanding as you, that said I do love my Model 3 and get a warm fuzzy feeling every time I drive it, so well done for hanging in there! Do let us know how it pans out....

It is that warm fuzzy feeling that is a killer...I was genuinely all ready to kick off, but having spent an hour or so cruising on autopilot on an emptyish A3/M25 in my M3 you are continuously reminded of what an amazing car it is, and then arriving at a place where there were my M3s brothers and sisters everywhere any angst I had was gone...and my wife’s angst was gone as she was more than happy enough with the loaner she was given!

John DeLorean left GM to start his own car company in part because he believed automotive manufacturing to be unethical in terms of "model years". Any defects found, or improvements devised, were held back until the next year. This helped create demand for the newer "improved" models, but that meant continuing to build cars with known defects. On the DMC-12 manufacturing line, parts and processes were changed continuously. (The published DMC wiring diagram is considered to be a "suggestion" lol.)

Of course, there are practical reasons to do this: when you order a new knuter valve for your '83 Toyota Crapola, it needs to match. Making changes mid-year complicates the supply chain and ambiguates the service manual. However, in the 21st century, the service manual can be electronically distributed and updated on-the-fly, supply chains are streamlined, and technical data is instantly available. Tesla can look up your VIN and tell you exactly how it was built, and they don't seem to be shy about making mid-year changes.

With automotive functionality increasingly residing in software, the practice of holding back improvements seems even more unethical than ever. Since Tesla regularly delivers automatic OTA updates, it makes me wonder why we even refer to "model years" at all anymore.

I believe Tesla have a policy of continuous improvement - they don't wait for a new model year, any improvement is implemented as soon as possible.

Reactions: moodel_tree
It is that warm fuzzy feeling that is a killer...I was genuinely all ready to kick off, but having spent an hour or so cruising on autopilot on an emptyish A3/M25 in my M3 you are continuously reminded of what an amazing car it is, and then arriving at a place where there were my M3s brothers and sisters everywhere any angst I had was gone...and my wife’s angst was gone as she was more than happy enough with the loaner she was given!
I still think that you should respectfully ask them what they're going to do to compensate you for all the inconvenience. It's not great and you've had to go out and get the loaner.

If you don't ask, you don't get.

Reactions: bhav and Jez_GB
Tesla seem to be doing a bit of both - continuous and model years. It came as a surprise to everyone when 2020 vin numbers started being delivered in 2019 when previously is been based on the year of actual build, and some spec changes happened at the time (curry hooks going, changes to trunk mats, etc) but I think they still slip the odd change in during the year. There's a big thread on here somewhere about model years. As a manufacturer you really don't want thousands of variations of built cars because impact assessing potential future issues is a nightmare.

Don’t worry, I will be asking....I’ll start with FSD for free and work down from that

I would agree that with my issues everyone I spoke to was genuinely helpful.

I got a few hundred pounds of accessories, I don't think you will get FSD lol but indeed aim high.

Despite my pretty crappy issue I can't help but grin everytime I look at the car on my drive and that's not even driving it.

It will be worth it, hang on. Sometimes you have to be persistent with the them but the staff do want to do there best

I'm going to stick a spanner in the works here.

I had a similar experience when I went to pick up my inventory car, except I had already driven 100 miles to the SC for the pickup appt only be told after wating several hours they couldn't get my car to me. I asked why and was eventually told it had a flat battery, as that clearly didnt work for me, this became a flat 12V battery, then they couldn't find the wheels (!) and it had a flat tyre and eventually an HV problem that meant there was no way they could get me the car on the day.

To be fair they gave me a loaner but on the way out the door I overheard one of the Tesla folk talking about it to a colleague and said it had probably had transport damage.

Sure enough when I eventually got to pick the car up weeks later it had a new front wing fitted and a later I confirmed a new wheel to the same quarter - all done well enough not to be an issue but gave lie to the excuses - caveat emptor

Also dont forget to check for charging cables and first aid kit - missing on mine and Tesla refused to give them to me so I had to buy my own. Left a bad taste that did.

Reactions: stonecoldrmw