TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

SAE announces the 'official' charging plug standard for North America

Discussion in 'North America' started by Blurry_Eyed, Oct 19, 2012.

1. jcstp

jcstp Active Member

Just wondering

In that new sae fastcharging plug, is the j1772 plug only used for signaling, and the 2 big pins for charging? The other (tiny) pins stay unused when fastcharging?

2. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Yes.

If you look at the type 2 version, they only have the signalling and ground pins and don't bother with the 3 AC pins.

3. jcstp

jcstp Active Member

so making an adapter for model S should be child's play, as signaling is already similar I understood?

4. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

That's the theory.

5. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

I've heard that Tesla is using the same protocol as J1772, so a plug adapter should be all that's needed.

6. sublimaze1

sublimaze1 8Dec2012 / Leeroy Jenkins

Whatever it is (or will be) - price point it at $99 and make us all happy ....

7. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

People don't like it but they are still buying the iPhone 5 and the $29 adapters to connect to their old cable so maybe it's something that people are getting used to. For very occasional use, I think most people would be fine with an adapter if the cost is kept down.

8. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Adapters are better than not being able to charge at public stations. Eventually I think Tesla will move to J1772-DC (not with the Model X, but maybe the third gen). By then, I think the higher power version of J1772-DC should be out already (right now it's still 100kW, adequate for now, but not when Tesla starts using 120kW on their chargers).

9. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Actualy Tesla was part of the design program and push for protocols. They just had a car (Rdstr) to put out.

10. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

I doubt that they will ever build to that standard. It is 5 years too late, and Tesla's solution is better IMO. I see them continuing to build adapters to comply with SAE's continuingly evolving 'standard'.

11. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

12. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Outside VW ERL today I saw a new Eaton SAE DC quick charger being tested on a prototype e-golf with the new 'Frankenplug'.
    It looks like VW intends to go with SAE not CHAdeMO...

13. jcstp

jcstp Active Member

The Long Tail Pipe: Tesla's JB Straubl on battery technology and charging standards