Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SAE announces the 'official' charging plug standard for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People don't like it but they are still buying the iPhone 5 and the $29 adapters to connect to their old cable so maybe it's something that people are getting used to. For very occasional use, I think most people would be fine with an adapter if the cost is kept down.

People don't like it but they are still buying the iPhone 5 and the $29 adapters to connect to their old cable so maybe it's something that people are getting used to. For very occasional use, I think most people would be fine with an adapter if the cost is kept down.
Adapters are better than not being able to charge at public stations. Eventually I think Tesla will move to J1772-DC (not with the Model X, but maybe the third gen). By then, I think the higher power version of J1772-DC should be out already (right now it's still 100kW, adequate for now, but not when Tesla starts using 120kW on their chargers).

Adapters are better than not being able to charge at public stations. Eventually I think Tesla will move to J1772-DC (not with the Model X, but maybe the third gen). By then, I think the higher power version of J1772-DC should be out already (right now it's still 100kW, adequate for now, but not when Tesla starts using 120kW on their chargers).

I doubt that they will ever build to that standard. It is 5 years too late, and Tesla's solution is better IMO. I see them continuing to build adapters to comply with SAE's continuingly evolving 'standard'.

Outside VW ERL today I saw a new Eaton SAE DC quick charger being tested on a prototype e-golf with the new 'Frankenplug'.
It looks like VW intends to go with SAE not CHAdeMO...

The Long Tail Pipe: Tesla's JB Straubl on battery technology and charging standards

However, he says the existing standard is not useful. "There still is no really good standard on this. The SAE committees finalized the new Combo Connector standard, which I’m a little frustrated with because the new combo-standard plug doesn’t have the current-carrying capability of our existing DC plug, in terms of current on the DC pins. I feel that a standard needs to project out at least five, ten years."