Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SAE fast DC chargers ( Frankenplug )

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious where these things are, what they look like, and what the signage looks like.
Can anyone post details about the locations, photos of the unit(s), implementation details - like whether they are combined with CHAdeMO, the signage and cars charging?
Claimed and actual charge rate and power output?

Forgive me if there is a thread about this already. This might be worth a sticky.

You can find them at plugshare (with pictures) by checking only "high power stations" and going into option and unchecking everything except for "SAE Combo DCFC":
http://www.plugshare.com/
From what I can see, there are 20 stations in the US, most of them in the west coast.

If you are interested in the European maps, this article shows a link to a CCS map (http://ccs-map.eu/) for Europe:
http://insideevs.com/updated-ccscombo-charge-map-europe/
Apparently there are already 338 CCS/Combo stations in Europe, so the growth as been explosive (as expected since recent EU legislation basically gave it status similar to microUSB).

Quick terminology comment: I don't think the "Frankenplug" terminology is necessary/helpful as it's a niche/insider terminology. I think Combo or CCS is more appropriate and will be understood better by the general public.

We have an SAE/CCS DC Fast Charge Station at Fashion Valley in San Diego at the NRG eVgo Freedom Station that was installed almost a year ago. It is a prototype installation of what the future eVgo Freedom Stations will look like...Here are some photos that show a Chevy Spark and a BMW i3 using the station.

fashion valley dc fast charger sae - Google Search

I believe the plan is to start soon to retrofit a SAE/Chademo dual cord fast charge station at the existing Freedom Stations (which will be in addition to the existing Chademo station). This will allow two Chademo vehicles to charge at once or one Chademo and one SAE/CCS vehicle at the second station.

Other than the NRG eVgo settlement stations in California, I haven't heard of other SAE Combo stations that are coming to the region...

The NRG Freedom Station in Mountain View, CA has one Nissan CHAdeMO charger and one ABB Terra 53C SAE Combo charger. So, a Leaf and an i3 can Quick Charge independently at that same time. The site also has a single NRG branded L2 ChargePoint station, presumably 208V 30A. I believe this is the only Freedom Station in Northern California with a working SAE Combo charger. NRG probably only has until the end of the calendar year to upgrade the other sites based on the reported terms of the settlement agreement with the State.

Any special adapters that would allow a Tesla to charge at one of these CCS stations, and, if so, at what kW rate?

It won't be simple. From what I've been reading, the Model S mostly speaks J1772 with most EVSEs, including the UMC and HPWC.

Superchargers use the J1772 instructions to say 'I am a DC fast charger - but then instead of the CCS protocol, the car responds with some proprietary CANBus communication with the Supercharger.

The result is a collection of pieces that work together great, and allows the car to function with all the level 2 sources and Superchargers seamlessly.

However, a CCS box will say 'I am a DCFC,' and then expect something totally different from what the car does. You'd need not only a new set of DCFC communication, but some easy for the car to know if it is at a Supercharger or a CCS charger (unless they make it reach out with both forms and listens to see which answers, maybe?)
Walter