Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SAE J1772 adapter no longer included in purchase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone! Can someone who has taken delivery recently help me clarify if the SAE J1772 adapter comes with the vehicle or not? I currently have a SAE J1772 home charger at my house from a previous electric vehicle. I ordered my M3 on 5/15/22. I looked at the Tesla shop and saw they had a J1772 adapter which in the description states it comes with the vehicle. I reached out to my SA to confirm and they said it no longer comes with the car as of April. Is she somehow confused and thinking I’m talking about the mobile charger? Because I know that isn’t standard anymore…I just want to be able to use my existing home charger (which is SAE) once I get my vehicle…screenshot of the Tesla shop in post. Thanks!

Attachments

• E53E82D5-34AC-4FC7-A28A-18CCA2B17963.jpeg
    E53E82D5-34AC-4FC7-A28A-18CCA2B17963.jpeg
    245.5 KB · Views: 722
Hey everyone! Can someone who has taken delivery recently help me clarify if the SAE J1772 adapter comes with the vehicle or not? I currently have a SAE J1772 home charger at my house from a previous electric vehicle. I ordered my M3 on 5/15/22. I looked at the Tesla shop and saw they had a J1772 adapter which in the description states it comes with the vehicle. I reached out to my SA to confirm and they said it no longer comes with the car as of April. Is she somehow confused and thinking I’m talking about the mobile charger? Because I know that isn’t standard anymore…I just want to be able to use my existing home charger (which is SAE) once I get my vehicle…screenshot of the Tesla shop in post. Thanks!

Im pretty sure that the person you were talking to is confusing the mobile adapter with the J1772 adapter. That person likely gets 40-50 questions a day about "does it come with the adapter??????????" and likely just tuned out what adapter you were talking about.

Either that, or you are breaking news we havent seen before.

Doesnt excuse them saying it, but does explain it.

Got a follow up text from the SA “
Im pretty sure that the person you were talking to is confusing the mobile adapter with the J1772 adapter. That person likely gets 40-50 questions a day about "does it come with the adapter??????????" and likely just tuned out what adapter you were talking about.

Either that, or you are breaking news we havent seen before.

Doesnt excuse them saying it, but does explain it.
Got a follow up text from the SA “I just wanted to specify that the J1772 adapter is apart of the UMC bundle, but is not included with the vehicle order.”

Got a follow up text from the SA “

Got a follow up text from the SA “I just wanted to specify that the J1772 adapter is apart of the UMC bundle, but is not included with the vehicle order.”

SAs get a lot of stuff wrong, so you are either breaking new news, or they are wrong.

SAs get a lot of stuff wrong, so you are either breaking new news, or they are wrong.
Hoping they are just wrong lol…She is new to the company as she told me that when I went by the SC to show my fiancé the cars so I’ll just cross my fingers it’s with the car somewhere upon delivery. Makes me nervous of the whole process going forward as I would love a smooth delivery process

@Torirem Either way, if a J1772 adapter comes with the car standard or it does not anymore, I'd suggest you buy one anyway. Worst case, you'll have one to keep at home (since you already have the J1772 charger) and the one delivered with the car, kept in the car. Best case, from your perspective, if they aren't currently shipping one with the car, you should have an adapter in hand so you can charge your car immediately after it's delivered.

Personally, I have three J1772 adapters; one came with the car in July 2018, the other two were bought off eBay for $50 apiece when the retail price was near $100. I used to use them with the L2 ChargePoint chargers at work but now that I'm retired, only rarely need them. Like next week when I'm traveling to an area which is relatively devoid of Superchargers but does have several free J1772 stations in town.

I definitely think the J1772 adapter still comes with the car. The mobile connector bundle on Tesla's website does not include a J1772 adapter.

I definitely think the J1772 adapter still comes with the car. The mobile connector bundle on Tesla's website does not include a J1772 adapter.

While that is true, when the car is delivered, the adapter is in the mobile connector bag.

I don't think it can be confirmed yet that J1772 adapter comes with the car when you don't have the mobile connector bundle included, unless someone reports that they are in the group where the mobile connector is excluded and they get solely the J1772 (which I'm not sure anyone reported yet so far).

While that is true, when the car is delivered, the adapter is in the mobile connector bag.

I don't think it can be confirmed yet that J1772 adapter comes with the car when you don't have the mobile connector bundle included, unless someone reports that they are in the group where the mobile connector is excluded and they get solely the J1772 (which I'm not sure anyone reported yet so far).
That will likely be a long time from now as someone would’ve had to have ordered after I think it was 4/29 and already taken delivery of their car. So we won’t know for a little bit I think to your point

I just watched this YouTube video released today and this guy says it is no longer included (see about 12 minutes in). The store still says it comes standard with the purchase of the vehicle. A lot of confusion out there. I might buy one just in case and worst case I will have an extra.

I just got a text from the advisor, as I inquired if these come with new purchases. They stated that the J1772 adapter will continue to be delivered with all vehicles, independent of the charging kit.

Take that as you may. It will be a few months till I take delivery and can confirm once I do.