Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SAE J1772 DC (Combo) Connector Adapter for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't expect to hear anything on this front until at least the CHAdeMO adapter is ready (which it still isn't despite the promise of "winter" release) and where there are some more Combo stations installed (which should start happening pretty soon as I've been seeing more and more Combo chargers being UL/CE listed).

I just helped my friend place an order last night and when he logged into My Tesla to go over the design again just in case we noticed that it now listed a load of extra accessories that can be ordered with the car (not visible on standard design page, only once you place the order). The things that are available there is a Type-II to Type-II cable (€450) and CHAdeMO adapter (€800) amongst other things. So now you CAN buy a Type-II cable from Tesla and they officially list CHAdeMO adapter for purchase indicating that it may well be available once his car delivers (estimated delivery indicated at late April 2014).

I just helped my friend place an order last night and when he logged into My Tesla to go over the design again just in case we noticed that it now listed a load of extra accessories that can be ordered with the car (not visible on standard design page, only once you place the order). The things that are available there is a Type-II to Type-II cable (€450) and CHAdeMO adapter (€800) amongst other things. So now you CAN buy a Type-II cable from Tesla and they officially list CHAdeMO adapter for purchase indicating that it may well be available once his car delivers (estimated delivery indicated at late April 2014).

I would think that all the CHAdeMO chargers in Estonia plus whatever Suoerchargers are built will make for a very nice Tesla experience.

I would think that all the CHAdeMO chargers in Estonia plus whatever Suoerchargers are built will make for a very nice Tesla experience.

I'd hope so indeed :) Also, just probably sold another Model S as I met with a couple who'd seen my TV coverage and gotten curious. They were well more convinced when they left and asked if they could give me a call when they are ordering to confirm things ;)

I was told by someone from Tesla that CHAdeMO is coming to Europe in Q1 2014. Not a big surprise, I think.
He also confirms Mario, that the plug will be available when ordering a new car. So new orders will have the possibility to order a CHAdeMO plug.

The DC Combo is not yet in development. But as Tesla is a forward thinking company, I assume DC Combo will be somewhere on their "Innovation pipeline".

I was told by someone from Tesla that CHAdeMO is coming to Europe in Q1 2014. Not a big surprise, I think.
He also confirms Mario, that the plug will be available when ordering a new car. So new orders will have the possibility to order a CHAdeMO plug.

The DC Combo is not yet in development. But as Tesla is a forward thinking company, I assume DC Combo will be somewhere on their "Innovation pipeline".
I still think that a Combo adapter could be only a physical one without any electronics or long cables.

It would also be able to do 80kW instead of 50kW, so that's a big plus imho.

I think a CCS DC adapter will be necessary for Tesla pretty soon (during 2014). European CCS DC stations will start to pop up all over the place when the big european makers (BMW, VW, etc.) start shipping their EV's in volume this year.

tesla-model-s-ccs-connector-fastned.jpg

A picture of a CCS Combo station in the Netherlands. It's from FastNed.

It shows the EU Model S charging port with the CCS connector on the charging station.

The station says: 500V 175A. So at 370V a Model S should be able to charge there with 64kW. That would still be great.

I really do hope for a adapter!

I e-mailed Tesla about this last week but got a pretty blah-blah response:

Dear Johan,
Thank you for your email. We will continuously develop new adapters to be as flexible as possible.

We do unfortunately not know yet which adapter will be available next, but for the moment the new Chademo adapter give a great range of new flexibility as well.

Kind Regards

Roxana Prange | European Inside Sales Advisor

I'm guessing it would be a lot simpler to make one of these adapters than a Chademo adapter. Mostly wiring and perhaps some firmware in the car to update? No need probably to emulate within the adapter?

I'm guessing it would be a lot simpler to make one of these adapters than a Chademo adapter. Mostly wiring and perhaps some firmware in the car to update? No need probably to emulate within the adapter?
Yes, it's just wiring and firmware. A physical adapter is actually not required if station/charging manufacturers support DC-mid (which supports up to 140A), but so far no one has done so (it's all DC-high/Combo):
http://www.mennekes.de/nl/latest0.html?tx_ttnews[tt_news]=851

So I also got an e-mail back from Tesla, they told me it is not under development.

Now I'm wondering, what if I make a adapter and only wire through the Pilot, Proximity and Ground, just to see how a Model S reacts when you connect that to a CCS charger.

I won't connect the DC pins themself to prevent frying my S, but I just want to see how the ABB charger and my Model S respond when I connect them. A simple Type2 <> Type2 cable without the resistors in the cable should work I think.

So I also got an e-mail back from Tesla, they told me it is not under development.

Now I'm wondering, what if I make a adapter and only wire through the Pilot, Proximity and Ground, just to see how a Model S reacts when you connect that to a CCS charger.

I won't connect the DC pins themself to prevent frying my S, but I just want to see how the ABB charger and my Model S respond when I connect them. A simple Type2 <> Type2 cable without the resistors in the cable should work I think.

I'm looking forward to the results of your test Wido :)

Would be interesting. And if it looks like they communicate well please connect the two DC ends with some thick cables and try again :)

I'm looking forward to the results of your test Wido :)
Yes, I'm interested as well. Only problem is that the nearest CCS charger is 200km away from my home.

Would be interesting. And if it looks like they communicate well please connect the two DC ends with some thick cables and try again :)
Indeed, but I have to be VERY sure where the Plus and Minus should go in the Model S. I do NOT want to short circuit 500V 175A!

Another problem is that I don't have a "female" side of the CCS adapter, so I can't "receive" the two DC pins. (See the picture a couple of posts back).

Don't think the type 2 Combo is priority for Tesla after hearing J.B's answer today. It looked like they were more irritated by all the "charging standards" popping up everywhere in the world.
Given the CHAdeMO adapter isn't out yet (and it has way more chargers at this point, while CCS is just getting started) I can see why it's not a priority. But I do hope they get around to making one as the chargers get installed.

Don't think the type 2 Combo is priority for Tesla after hearing J.B's answer today. It looked like they were more irritated by all the "charging standards" popping up everywhere in the world.

Answer from JB: Mennekes type 2? We have an adapter for CHAdeMO coming; releasing soon (and later mentioned April). There's many more CHAdeMO than the combined standard. Waiting to see adoption of the standard... Entirely possible, and we can adapt and use that.

Answer from JB: Mennekes type 2? We have an adapter for CHAdeMO coming; releasing soon (and later mentioned April). There's many more CHAdeMO than the combined standard. Waiting to see adoption of the standard... Entirely possible, and we can adapt and use that.

JB was refering to question regarding combo/frankenplug adapter, not type2. I was in the audience at the Oslo Q&A today.

Unamerican :) versions of Tesla Model S doesn't need an adapter for type2, as type2 is the connector in our cars.

Perfectly reasonable that they wait and see just how widespread the combo chargers will be. However I think they'll have to make the combo adapter sooner or later anyway. Many chademo fast chargers here seems to be upgraded with both chademo and combo.