Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SAE J1772 DC (Combo) Connector Adapter for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice. My first usage of Chademo
128ffc96d457d76d152b2e848f0526e1.jpg
What?? Somebody actually coiled the SAE Combo Cable? ;)

I think it would be helpful to contact the people that have CCS-only, and CHAdeMO-only, chargers installed and ask them to upgrade to dual standard (two "hose") support.

Perhaps something could also be done to discourage single standard Chargers from being manufactured. A $5000 tax/fee that the charger manufacturers would have to pay, only for single standard chargers, would be very effective (if it was possible).

GSP

I think it would be helpful to contact the people that have CCS-only, and CHAdeMO-only, chargers installed and ask them to upgrade to dual standard (two "hose") support.

Perhaps something could also be done to discourage single standard Chargers from being manufactured. A $5000 tax/fee that the charger manufacturers would have to pay, only for single standard chargers, would be very effective (if it was possible).

GSP

This was a brand new just installed charger. So asking them to change it seems like a no-go.

GSP
Asking Tesla to make a CCS adapter is probably easier than that. CCS is the minimum standard required in EU countries, so it should be expected that single standard CCS chargers are installed going forward.

FYI, ChargePoint is sending announcements about new DC Fast Charging locations, where the DC option is SAE Combo only:

Hey ChargePoint Drivers,

We recently added a ChargePoint Express DC Fast Charging station at Nauna's Bella Casa, 148 Valley Rd, Montclair, NJ 07042. This station provides up to 100 miles of Range Per Hour (RPH) of charging so you can recharge up to 80% in just 40 minutes. The station is equipped with an SAE Combo connector – check your vehicle for compatibility. There is also one commercial level two port on site which provides up to 25 miles of RPH of charging.

Drive Happy,
ChargePoint Team

The ChargePoint unit that is SAE Combo only is the Express 100. That unit is limited to 60A DC which comes to 18kW-25kW max. Is that at all interesting for charging a Model S? Is there a significant advantage over an HPWC? I think the answer is basically NO on both points. Sure, it would be faster if you only have a single charger, but it's not worth Tesla's resources to make an adapter if this is what people are going to do with it.

The ChargePoint unit that is SAE Combo only is the Express 100. That unit is limited to 60A DC which comes to 18kW-25kW max. Is that at all interesting for charging a Model S? Is there a significant advantage over an HPWC? I think the answer is basically NO on both points. Sure, it would be faster if you only have a single charger, but it's not worth Tesla's resources to make an adapter if this is what people are going to do with it.

The same argument can be made for a majority of chademo units....

It can, but I don't understand why you'd make it. I'd always choose to have more options for charging, especially at the higher ends of power. CHAdeMO has saved me multiple times, even at 18k it is so much better than the typical L2. If combo becomes more common, and I think it may, I'd really like to see Tesla make an adapter.

It can, but I don't understand why you'd make it. I'd always choose to have more options for charging, especially at the higher ends of power. CHAdeMO has saved me multiple times, even at 18k it is so much better than the typical L2. If combo becomes more common, and I think it may, I'd really like to see Tesla make an adapter.
Here it's already more common. Stations are either both ccs and chademo or ccs only. Chademo only more or less doesn't exist

The same argument can be made for a majority of chademo units....

It's very simple. It's a matter what best serves the customer at the lowest price to the host location. From the perspective of a Model S owner with dual chargers, many HPWCs could be installed for the cost of even the cheapest CHAdeMO chargers and the capacity of each HPWC is almost the same as these entry level CHAdeMOs.

I mentioned in another thread:

"You may have seen that BMW is subsidizing a 24 kW CHAdeMO DC fast charger. It's subsidized price is over $6,500 (I don't believe that includes installation costs). It weighs 125 pounds and it requires a 480/277 volt, 3-phase power source from the utility. In comparison an HPWC's retail cost is $750. It weighs 20 pounds and it only requires a 240/208 volt, single phase power source from the utility."

Larry

It's very simple. It's a matter what best serves the customer at the lowest price to the host location. From the perspective of a Model S owner with dual chargers, many HPWCs could be installed for the cost of even the cheapest CHAdeMO chargers and the capacity of each HPWC is almost the same as these entry level CHAdeMOs.

I mentioned in another thread:

"You may have seen that BMW is subsidizing a 24 kW CHAdeMO DC fast charger. It's subsidized price is over $6,500 (I don't believe that includes installation costs). It weighs 125 pounds and it requires a 480/277 volt, 3-phase power source from the utility. In comparison an HPWC's retail cost is $750. It weighs 20 pounds and it only requires a 240/208 volt, single phase power source from the utility."

Larry

A very US-centric perspective....
In europe we have yet to see any HPWC's from Tesla at all. At the same time it has started to pop up CCS only DC-chargers capable of at least 48 KW.
Here everything when you do new installations for these kind of things are 3-phase. I expect the Tesla HPWC to be 3-phase as well.

In europe we have yet to see any HPWC's from Tesla at all. At the same time it has started to pop up CCS only DC-chargers capable of at least 48 KW.
Here everything when you do new installations for these kind of things are 3-phase. I expect the Tesla HPWC to be 3-phase as well.

Can you even get dual chargers to take advantage of a HPWC in non-US spec Model S?

Can you even get dual chargers to take advantage of a HPWC in non-US spec Model S?

Yes - like the US, they used to be an orderable option but now have to be fitted at service centres.

Unlike the US, dual charger for EU means 32A three-phase (rather than 80A single phase), since three-phase is more readily available here than high current single phase.

The EU version of the HPWC therefore needs to be different - I was told recently by a Tesla source that they had a batch manufactured of a universal HPWC (for all regions outside North America), but unfortunately they didn't work and a corrected version was awaited before rolling out the destination charging programme.

Tesla Europe is 22kW Mennekes just like Renault Zoe is 22kW Zoe etc

22KW AC is all over much of europe and is cheap, far cheaper than 22kW DC. Have you looked at a plugshare map of France or UK or Ireland etc

22kW AC is really the default European Charging standard, is just that Chademo/CCS supporters don't want to admit it yet.

Tesla Europe is 22kW Mennekes just like Renault Zoe is 22kW Zoe etc

22KW AC is all over much of europe and is cheap, far cheaper than 22kW DC. Have you looked at a plugshare map of France or UK or Ireland etc

22kW AC is really the default European Charging standard, is just that Chademo/CCS supporters don't want to admit it yet.
22kw is too slow to be meaningful for longer travel outside of the supercharger network. Ohh, and a 22 kw station kind of sucks if there's a 48 kw ccs beside it.