TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

SAE J1772 Holder in Glove Box?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by RiC0MD, May 17, 2015.

1. RiC0MD

RiC0MD Member

Hi All,

Just took delivery a few days ago, and have been doing a lot of reading. One thing I keep seeing is references to a cubby inside the glove box that should hold the J1772 adapter. I've checked below the 17" display, and the glove box itself, I don't see anything that this adapter could fit into.
    Could somebody please take a picture of there's so I can make sure I'm not loosing my mind or making a very silly mistake?

Thanks!!

2. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

There's a slot at the rear left corner of the glove box that it fits nicely in.

3. Odenator

Odenator P2607

Nope, the two little recessed areas in the glove box are now gone in all the new dual motor cars. Our old P85 has them, our new P85D does not. Terrible decision on Tesla's part.

4. RiC0MD

RiC0MD Member

IMG_0614.JPG Just to confirm then, my left corner should be looking like this (flat), what is that little odd circle on the left wall there? Haven't been turn up any details on that.

Thanks!

5. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Recent VINs have lost the little nook in the back corner of the glove box that had been perfect for the J1772 adapter. Some component behind there must have been rerouted.

6. SBerg

SBerg Member

I never knew there was a holder in the glove box. Always keep miy adapter with other adapters in the charging cable bag and keep it in the trunk.

7. rickgt

rickgt Enthusiast owner/member

First the Frunk looses space, now the glove box... oh well, the price of progress

8. jgs

jgs Member

My 85D has them.

9. travwill

travwill Member

Interesting. Seems like it is going to be hit or miss on who has the recess in box right now unless the trend moves more towards no one having it after say mid-May deliveries. It is either that or perhaps a particular option requires the space to be removed; e.g. cold weather or something...

10. Bonlaw

Bonlaw Member

My 2013 60 had it. Never used it for the adapter. My 70D delivered on 5/9/15, does not.

11. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Coral Gables, FL
    My P85D, built late December 2014, has one.

12. ddimit

ddimit Member

My 85D picked up end of April does not. Im Schedule to have them replace the glove box due to a flaw. Worn spot on the bottom. Will see if I get a cubby or not.

13. jgs

jgs Member

Well, it's not cold weather -- I've got that. (I don't have premium audio, which I guess might signify). I took delivery in March.

14. andydoty

andydoty Member

My P85 had it, my new P85D (picked up end of March) does not.

15. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

My P85D's glove box has the J1772 indentation. I believe it was built in Nov.

16. InternetDude

InternetDude Member

My 04/15 85d does not have the spot and I wish it did.

17. llavalle

llavalle Member

Somewhere around Montreal in Quebec, Canada
    My 85D does not(premium audio + cold weather).

I got a 60kWh loaner yesterday that has it. No premium audio, no cold weather but it has autopilot hardware. The car was brand new (less than 20miles on the odo). VIN was in the 76xxx range.

18. Fezzik

Fezzik P67429

my p85d has it.

19. Duma

Duma Member

My 85D built mid April, 2015, delivered May 6 (regular audio + cold weather) does not have the J1772 cubby in the glove box.

Based on the posts so far, the only correlation is with date, with cars built before early 2015 having the cubby independent of dual motor, audio package, and cold weather package. No one has reported on whether a recent S85 (built April, 2015 or later) does or does not have the cubby.

It sure sounds like it is a change affecting all models, although it may have been phased in a little earlier for dual motor builds. Unclear what the technical reason for the change might be since early P85D's still had it, so can't blame it on dual motor (unless it is to reduce noise from the front motor).

20. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

Uh, there's a comment three up from yours stating an April 85D did not have the cubby...:confused: