Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SAE J1772 Holder in Glove Box?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope, the two little recessed areas in the glove box are now gone in all the new dual motor cars. Our old P85 has them, our new P85D does not. Terrible decision on Tesla's part.
Yes, my Signature VIN S01055 has them. The one on the left is a perfect fit for the J1772 adapter. There is also a recess on the right where I keep my 110 v adapter.

Larry

I am sure I can dig around for it, but, where is the pocket at?

Front edge of the drivers' seat. Obvious once you know it's there.

Oh, by the way, even though my glove box has the indentation I haven't been using it recently – I use public chargers fairly frequently, and I don't like having to lean across to get into the glove box. So, if you didn't get one, don't feel too bad – it's not all that.

Last edited:
Front edge of the drivers' seat. Obvious once you know it's there.

Oh, by the way, even though my glove box has the indentation I haven't been using it recently – I use public chargers fairly frequently, and I don't like having to lean across to get into the glove box. So, if you didn't get one, don't feel too bad – it's not all that.

It can fit in back of the center console also - definitely recommend the Tesla center console if you want more hidden storage space.

+1

Up until I discovered this thread a few days ago, I didn't even know the holder existed. I've always just tossed it in the center "pit" where it's easy-access. There's enough other stuff in there now that it's not very obvious.

+1

Up until I discovered this thread a few days ago, I didn't even know the holder existed. I've always just tossed it in the center "pit" where it's easy-access. There's enough other stuff in there now that it's not very obvious.
+1. I also tend to leave it in the center floor area (which I've seen referred to here as the "bowling alley"), wrapped in a small microfiber towel so it doesn't roll around. If you use the J1772 adapter frequently, then you'll want it to be more accessible, and the cubbyhole in the glovebox is awkward to reach from the driver's seat. And if you don't use the adapter frequently, the sub-trunk is probably a better long-term storage place anyway.

This has been discussed in a couple of other threads, including this one: Special spot in glove compartment -- for J1772 adapter?

Anti-Roll Device for J1772 adapter

My S85D didn't have the indentation for the J1772, but I like keeping it in the passenger compartment. I tried the glovebox and the cubby under the touch screen, and it rolled around like crazy in both...I was worried it was going to break stuff. I didn't even try the bowling alley...

So I made a square for it. It's a tight fit, but it seems to make pretty good traction with the rubber floor of the cubby and doesn't move around at all. I made it available from Shapeways if you want one. Anti Roll Device for Tesla J1772 Adapter (JGJWUF4Z7) by snorty. The cost is entirely Shapeways, no profit to me at all. $5.36 for the cheapest one.

Shapeways will take 10-14 days to deliver and will pack it in an absurd amount of bubblewrap...It's super sturdy and would probably survive in a business envelope...or even a small explosion. But that's shapeways. That packing is probably about 2/3rds of the cost of this thing. It'd be trivial to manufacture by stamping them out of a sheet, but it wouldn't be cost effective to set up the die unless demand was in the thousands. If it is, which I doubt, I could do it, but for now, 3d printing seems like a good solution.

I also made a dust cap for the UMC. It's probably not as useful as the anti-roll device, but 90% of the design work was the same. (it took several iterations to get the shape right and it's still not perfect). I have several more ideas for tesla gadgets that I'll put into my shapeways "store" over time.

Let me know if you want a different color and I'll enable it. I like the white for the anti-roll and black for the dust cap but it can probably be made in any material shapeways provides, but some are fragile or expensive...

--Snortybartfast