TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

SAE ports in Seattle Area

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by EchoDelta, Dec 30, 2014.

1. EchoDelta

EchoDelta Member

#1 EchoDelta, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
    A friend in Seattle is considering getting a BMW i3 as a Tesla Temporizer but as far as I know in this region the SAE plug is a nail with no hammers.
    In plugshare I only found 17 in the continental US - in CA (SFO/SJC and LAX/SAN).
    Looking forward: Does anyone know if there are plans for any of the charging networks/consortiums etc to start deploying SAE plugs in this area? (I'm not making a judgement whether it's a good idea or not, just asking..)
    (I forgot to say that with the limited range the i3, like a Leaf, may benefit from really fast charging or be constrained to a metro car, and I'm also not judging whether the i3 is a good choice if the SAE plug comes up as a question )
    Thanks!

2. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

I've been watching this too; but so far I have heard of no concrete plans in the area. BMW offered cheap 24kW DC chargers to local dealers; but I talked to the Tacoma dealer recently (Seattle and Bellevue are too close to my house to matter; those three are the only BMW dealers in the state) and they confirmed that they will NOT install one.

However, there has been quite a bit of chatter about a BMW announcement on DC charging that is supposed to come in January. I am not holding my breath, but am very interested to hear what it will be.

3. fawu

fawu Member

4. EchoDelta

EchoDelta Member

Thanks all -