TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Safe acceleration

Discussion in 'Model S' started by hank85, Dec 31, 2019.

Tags:
  1. hank85

hank85 New Member

In the interest of doing safe & legal accelerations, I was wondering if you can ask the car to stop a hard acceleration at 5 over the speed limit. It happens so fast it would be easy to go over without a little help!

• Funny x 2
  2. SoCal Buzz

SoCal Buzz Supporting Member

Chill (mode)...

3. PWlakewood

PWlakewood Active Member

Might want to look up wreckless driving in your state.

Cant you set a limit to your speed via the mcu or the app?

4. geoffmanley

geoffmanley Member

I remember getting loaners that they limited to 80 mph. You could blast right past it before the car would throttle back and slow back down to 80. But yes, you can limit speed, but I don't believe you can limit it to "5 over" the posted speed limit.

5. voltage

voltage Member

You can set the mph over the speed limit and if exceeded a chime will go off.

6. BennyMountfort

Any way to limit takeoff acceleration on autopilot?
    Even in chill mode it waits a while until other cars have taken off in front then launches after them and most of the time has to brake...

7. JCattSS

JCattSS Member

First ticket I ever got was “exhibition driving/jackrabbit start”. Never exceeded the speed limit though

8. voltage

voltage Member

Wow. I never heard of this.

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

Check your state laws. We have one in CA that I pointed to in Is it okay to drive the Model 3 hard? along with what I posted there:

"I've never had a speeding ticket but over a decade ago in San Jose, I was pulled over by SJPD for "taking off too fast" from a stop sign near home. This is in a 35 mph zone and I was driving a '93 Dodge Caravan V6 (only ~142 hp FWD w/3-speed automatic), not exactly a rocket. Luckily, I only got a warning."