Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safe/Gun Vault anchor points in rear trunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many states require transported firearms to be inaccessible from the cabin, so the trunk is not a legal option. For both transporting (in or through certain states) and storing unattended in public (e.g. not in your garage), a locked safe securely attached to the vehicle inside the frunk is the only option.

Most states that require inaccessibility state that the firearm must be in the trunk "OR A LOCKED CONTAINER OTHER THAN THE GLOVE COMPARTMENT" or other similar words. Ultimately, one would need to check the state(s) laws.

If one was planning on traveling across several states with a firearm, I would suggest putting it in the frunk unless one was very confident about knowing the states laws and how they relate to ones's expectations.(and if a weapons permit from state A is valid for state B.).

Many states require transported firearms to be inaccessible from the cabin, so the trunk is not a legal option. For both transporting (in or through certain states) and storing unattended in public (e.g. not in your garage), a locked safe securely attached to the vehicle inside the frunk is the only option.

Not sure which states you are referring too however having it the trunk would be legal in all states specially if you separate ammunition from the firearms. There are only a hand full of states were you have to do this to meet the legal requirements. Again the assumption is you do not have a permit. In those states usually do not except out of states permits.

Usually those laws mean easy accessible. With the firearm in the trunk and ammunition store in a another location it is not easy accessible and not usable.

Also those same states have laws around secure the firearm. The frunk would not meet those requirements as it can easily be access from outside the car.

I will go another step and ask if what you stated was true how would a gas car meet the requirements as it is using the frunk for the engine. There are other cars design similar to ours that has a hatchback.

To the OP I would use the space where the third row seats would be in the trunk. Assuming you don't have the third row seats. Bolting the safe there would make it secure and out of site.

Most states that require inaccessibility state that the firearm must be in the trunk "OR A LOCKED CONTAINER OTHER THAN THE GLOVE COMPARTMENT" or other similar words. Ultimately, one would need to check the state(s) laws.

If one was planning on traveling across several states with a firearm, I would suggest putting it in the frunk unless one was very confident about knowing the states laws and how they relate to ones's expectations.(and if a weapons permit from state A is valid for state B.).

Note that there is a Federal law that allows you to take firearms through non-friendly states under certain conditions.

1. The first condition is that any firearms you are transporting must be unloaded and locked in the trunk of the vehicle or in another container that is out of reach or not immediately accessible. Any ammunition must also be locked in the trunk or another container. This does not include the glove box or center console!

2. Second, your journey must begin and end in states where your possession of the firearms is legal. So, for example, if you begin your journey in your home state of Texas and are looking to drive to Grandma’s house in Kansas, where permitless concealed carry is legal, you will be protected as long as you meet the other two conditions. However, if you begin your journey in Texas and are driving to New Jersey for vacation, where a state-issued license is required to even own a firearm, you will not be protected under the Safe Passage provision.

3. Lastly, you must be “traveling.” This applies especially while going through a firearms-hostile state. Unfortunately, the term “traveling” is not defined in federal law. Courts have interpreted it narrowly to indicate that a person must not stop in one place for “too long.” Unfortunately, how long is “too long” is not entirely clear. In an actual case decided in 2013, a man was convicted for illegal possession of his shotguns and rifles secured in zippered cases, after he stopped for a brief nap in New Jersey while moving from Maine to Texas. The best course of action is to get through firearms-hostile states as quickly as possible.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
I'm just shocked that there are so many people that travel with guns. Have you ever had a situation to occur where you needed your gun that's in your car?

There are a number of people who do so. I know several private investigators, people who work car repossession, police officers, people who serve summons for court, etc. These can be dangerous professions, and many/most of the people who have those types of jobs carry a firearm.

It's also somewhat dependent on your state. Here in Texas, I would wager that a double-digit percentage of cars on the road are carrying a firearm at any given time. That's probably a lot different than California or New York.

But regardless of your philosophical stance on whether people should carry a gun or not, I thoroughly appreciate the OP looking to safely carry his. Making sure that your firearm is under control and secure at all times prevents it from being stolen, being found by a child, or being lost. We always hear the phrase about "responsible gun ownership" -- ensuring the safety and security of the weapon is one of the hallmarks of a responsible gun owner.

Reactions: Eclectic
There are a number of people who do so. I know several private investigators, people who work car repossession, police officers, people who serve summons for court, etc. These can be dangerous professions, and many/most of the people who have those types of jobs carry a firearm.

It's also somewhat dependent on your state. Here in Texas, I would wager that a double-digit percentage of cars on the road are carrying a firearm at any given time. That's probably a lot different than California or New York.

But regardless of your philosophical stance on whether people should carry a gun or not, I thoroughly appreciate the OP looking to safely carry his. Making sure that your firearm is under control and secure at all times prevents it from being stolen, being found by a child, or being lost. We always hear the phrase about "responsible gun ownership" -- ensuring the safety and security of the weapon is one of the hallmarks of a responsible gun owner.
Thanks for the explanation. That was great. I really didn't realize there were so many official reasons that carrying a gun in your car would be necessary until you posted this.

I've never been against carry....I just don't carry and couldn't figure out why I ever would.

Last edited:
Reactions: HebrHmr
Friendly Moderator reminder: The OP's question is both legal and has legitimate Tesla content. While gun ownership/possession/etc. is a somewhat contentious area for some, it is a constitutionally protected right and as long as the OP's question has legitimate Tesla related content it is appropriate here. What is not appropriate is questioning of the OP's or anyone else's motives or bringing in the political side of the issue. Those posts will be removed and if repeated offenses suspensions given. If you don't have anything to add that directly addresses the OP's question, please keep it to yourself or bring it up on a gun control forum somewhere else.

I have drilled through the trunk before - just pull the belly pan and make sure you aren't hitting anything (wiring, brake lines etc). I will say it will be easy to crowbar out.. so you may want to get some old lawn mower blades to bolt into make it very difficult to crowbar out...

Thank you again for the replies. I am going to anchor a safe in the recessed part of the trunk.
Would you mind posting back how your trunk safe retrofit turned out? Some pics would be greatly apreciated. I am also trying to figure out the best option for gun storage in the tesla. In the past I have used a consule vault. ( worked great! And was easily accessible, but not an option in a tesla) just curious what you used and how you made it work.
Thanks in advance

Reactions: VerityZooms